Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this has probably been asked to death. However, I'm a newbie to both these forums and the whole modding scene so I'm not sure what mods actually yield the best HP increases and not just a loud noise. I have been doing some research into intakes and exhausts and I was suprised to find this video in youtube:

Apparently, this person paid $70 for a magnaflow muffler that improved both performance and noise output. Installation costs aside, if this can be done, then what's the point of installing the whole > $700 exhaust system?

I compare the sound made by that muffler to this Borla rear section exhaust:

And they sound pretty much alike. The Borla exhaust goes for $700, a 10x price compared to the magnaflow and they're pretty much the same thing, the magnaflow muffler is just using the stock pipes which shouldn't be that different to the ones in the Borla system. Now, maybe Magnaflow is not such a good brand? Well, the exact same muffler from Borla costs around $120 which is still way below the complete rear exhaust's price.

And then there's the whole cat-back system which goes for over $1000 and this is the kind that apparently yields actual HP improvements and not just the "Agressive noise".

Help me understand the difference, I'm not much of a car enthusiast :confused:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well the biggest difference is the diameter of piping on the full exhaust. An after market muffler will increase noise and improve flow maybe a hair but a new system will increase flow all through out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Noise does not equal Performance. The stock Muffler is design to keep the car Silent, And it does a good job of it.
If you want your car to Perform Better, Then you want your car to Flow better: Intake/Exhaust/Volume. Your Engine is a Big Pump,
So Let it Breath, But Do not over do it. With most after market So called Bolt on kits, You are paying for: Mark-up, Pipe bending method, Pipe Material ( Stainless vs Aluminized,) And For the Brand Name, in My Opinion. That's Why I always Opt for A Custom Built System. It will be designed too your car, And Will use the Very Same Parts That the Tuning Shops will Send you if you buy it on-line. Here's an example of a Custom With Extra, That Cost less.( http://www.veloster.org/forum/9-hyundai-veloster-engine-transmission/4121-new-exhaust.html) The Choice is Your's. Buying something just to say " I have X Brand Exhaust, And it cost X amount, Makes your Wallet Lighter. Also, "my opinion", Buying Shiny Exhaust parts when they are under the car and won't be seen, Is also "Vanity", (A waste of Money)....Unless you need it.

Do I Need A Stainless or Aluminized Steel Exhaust System? | Exhaust Videos

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info, Variable. That helped a lot. So then in order to gain any real HP, the whole system has to be replaced, from headers to muffler. I have looked at the custom built exhaust and it was not bad for $450, tho I agree that the Borla axle-back has e deeper sound. Anyway, my V just clocked in 600 miles it might be a bit too soon to start messing around with it. So, I think i'll just wait until I can afford the whole system replaced with a custom built one and maybe I'll throw in a Borla muffler just for the sound. :cool:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You Won't need to change the Header on the Veloster, It's good Enough for the tune of the engine.

As far as the exhaust note. This sound Byte was done the day of service, and the Muffler needed to be broken in.

The Car Sounds Much Deeper Now. Also, the Info above may have touched on, If they use a reverse Flow Muffler, It will likely have a deeper tone, But will not flow as well. Very few Cans/Mufflers sound or flow as well as MagnaFlow. Plus, Online or posted Sound Bytes of any cars exhaust, Is Very Mis-leading. To Truly Gage an Exhaust Tone, You must Hear It In Person. I did my Exhaust The day after I bought my car, So The Mods Would be Learned by the Engine Management System. I always do this with my cars, and have never had a CEL Light Issue.

My goal is always Performance and Better Efficiency of the car. A good exhaust note, is normally included.

·
Registered
183 Posts
...My goal is always Performance and Better Efficiency of the car. A good exhaust note, is normally included.
I've just learned that anything Variable says is the truth... He is a wise soul! Knows his sh!t!!

This post was thrown into your face by Hercules

·
Registered
540 Posts
i can give u my own example, when i first purchased my car i installed a magnaflow muffler only not the complete exhaust, and i was very content with the sound it made and perhaps it made a slight difference in performance. the main reason i did just the muffler and not complete exhaust was my concerns of voiding the warranty. after a couple of conversations with some people in this forum mainly variable and grey ghost i found out that the warranty would not be void installing a complete exhaust. so i went ahead and did and followed the recomendations that i got from the 2 guys mentioned earlier and i love it. just the muffler made me content now with the complete exhaust im thrilled. the difference in sound is definatley noticable, it just sounds alot healthier and there is a definate gain in performance that u feel in the acceleration. its common sense really( and dont feel bad because i knew the same if not less than u did before i did mine) the bigger the pipe the easier and faster the air flows through. i hope i helped explain the difference. dont worry ur in good hands here. consider this forum the ALLSTATE of velosters lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal is always Performance and Better Efficiency of the car. A good exhaust note, is normally included.
Yes, yes, of course, the... uhm... MPGs and the... efficiency... who needs the sound right? lol

Yeah, all kidding aside. I now have a much better idea of what to do. $420 for the whole custom job is really not that bad considering the cost of an entire system. I'm just gonna print out flyingmunkey's thread and take it to the Fontana shop and tell them "I WANT THE SAME THING". Kind of a long drive but, hey, with this car, I am actively looking for excuses to go on long trips.

One last thing tho, they removed the catalytic converter from flyingmunkey's V. Is this going to be an issue down the road? He's moving out of CA but I'm not. At least I don't think so in the next 5 years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont worry ur in good hands here. consider this forum the ALLSTATE of velosters lol
Yes, I have learned so much since I stumbled into these forums looking for my Veloster about a month ago. The V is the 7th car I have owned, the previous one being a 2007 Civic coupe (non Si) and I just love the V so much I want to get more involved with the maintenance and modding. I guess the money I spend on mods I will save on oil changes. :p

The 2-minute intake mod is a bit silly so I am also going to install a full CAI in the future. With the CAI, the custom exhaust and some brake caliper covers, the total goes up to about $1200. Now I am reading the intro to HID lighting and such. I really don't like the yellowish stock headlights so that's something else to consider. Oh and I just ordered a $12 "GDi" badge from import shark lol.

Perhaps in a couple years when I pay it off, I will consider an aftermarket turbo kit once the prices come down a bit and I'm more informed.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I removed the 2nd cat on mine too. I made a custom 304L ss test-pipe and installed a Magnaflow complete exhaust. In my opinion if you don't go with 304(L) stainless steel I feel you're wasting your money. The factory uses a 409 or 410 stainless steel and will rust out in about 5-6 years depending on your location. I was going to custom fabricate my whole system since I work in a fabrication shop but time isn't on my side right now. There are several things differently to further aid in flow that I'm going to do to my Magnaflow exhaust down the line since Magnaflow (and no other exhaust manufacturer for that matter) does. 2.25"~2.5" seems to be the sweet spot for the exhaust diameter. My Magnaflow system is 2.25" and it made a very healthy gain in power, performance, and mpg's and sounds really nice too. If you do go with a Magnaflow cat-back, be prepared to either cut the stock exhaust pipe (which I'll never do) or have someone make you a test-pipe and install it like I did.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes, yes, of course, the... uhm... MPGs and the... efficiency... who needs the sound right? lol

Yeah, all kidding aside. I now have a much better idea of what to do. $420 for the whole custom job is really not that bad considering the cost of an entire system. I'm just gonna print out flyingmunkey's thread and take it to the Fontana shop and tell them "I WANT THE SAME THING". Kind of a long drive but, hey, with this car, I am actively looking for excuses to go on long trips.

One last thing tho, they removed the catalytic converter from flyingmunkey's V. Is this going to be an issue down the road? He's moving out of CA but I'm not. At least I don't think so in the next 5 years.
I have a brand new vehicle, do I need to get a smog check?
Nope! Any vehicle 4-6 model years old and newer do not need to get a biennial smog check performed until their fifth-seventh year.
Exception to the rule: If the vehicle is sold or registered inside of California from another state (what a stupid rule....really...is my car going to change emissions?!)
How often do I need to get a Smog Inspection?
Almost all vehicles on the road in California will require a biennial (every other year) smog inspection.
Exception: some vehicles in rural areas only need a smog check during a change of ownership/sale/purchase.
You can call the Bureau of Automotive Repair to check if you are in this category at: 1-800-952-5210

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Thankfully in NY there are no smog checks, ever. We have the OBD II plug-in and that's it. No sniffing here. Needless to say it's nice to know how to trick the OBD II system into not getting CEL's for the NYSI (New York State Inspection) annually. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Grey: as I posted before in another thread, NY does have SMOG inspections on all vehicles from 1996 & up in the lower counties of the state south of Orange/Putnam counties. Up north for you and in Dutchess County where I live they do not yet require smog test on yearly inspections. That will change in the future I'm sure.

28 Vitimans: Read this article http://www.veloster.org/forum/9-hyundai-veloster-engine-transmission/5150-official-turbokits-com-product-info-release.htmland my follow up if you like. I tested their system and for the money I think it is a good option for aftermarket exhaust over the Borla & Magnaflow choice out there. You can also add the CAI and still spend less than Borla/Magnaflow offering of exhaust only.
It does only come in the polished finish which is useless under the car for appeaance purpose. The custom route is the other option as attested to by Variable. It's your choice on what you want to lay out $$ wise. Turbo Kits sytem will be on the market soon their awaiting the production run on it from their vendor.

Ray T.:cool:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have a brand new vehicle, do I need to get a smog check?Nope! Any vehicle 4-6 model years old and newer do not need to get a biennial smog check performed until their fifth-seventh year.Exception to the rule: If the vehicle is sold or registered inside of California from another state (what a stupid rule....really...is my car going to change emissions?!)How often do I need to get a Smog Inspection?Almost all vehicles on the road in California will require a biennial (every other year) smog inspection. Exception: some vehicles in rural areas only need a smog check during a change of ownership/sale/purchase. You can call the Bureau of Automotive Repair to check if you are in this category at: 1-800-952-5210
only thing you may have to worry about is the cops. i have had cops look under my car for the cat before, also a car with no cat smells different than a car with a cat. so the cops can also tell that way. but i drove for 2.5 years in my Evo with no cats and stinky exhaust and never got pulled over.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Ray, I'm seriously shocked any counties in NY are smog checking. The whole issue years ago was over the price of the dynos and smog checking equipement which would put most inspection stations out of business. This is why they decided on just the plug-in since NYS provided the PC and all hardware for the inspection stations. At $21 per NYSI there's no way the shops can re-coup the initial cost of all the smog checking stuff unless NY hands it out to them. Besides that there is a limit to the number of inspections one licensed inspector can perform in a given day, usually 2 per hour is the going rate I believe. Even at that rate the shops are being creamated due to the cost of labor now. I'll have to check into all of this further because something doesn't add up to me. But then again, when has the government EVER added up? ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ray, I'm seriously shocked any counties in NY are smog checking. The whole issue years ago was over the price of the dynos and smog checking equipement which would put most inspection stations out of business. This is why they decided on just the plug-in since NYS provided the PC and all hardware for the inspection stations. At $21 per NYSI there's no way the shops can re-coup the initial cost of all the smog checking stuff unless NY hands it out to them. Besides that there is a limit to the number of inspections one licensed inspector can perform in a given day, usually 2 per hour is the going rate I believe. Even at that rate the shops are being creamated due to the cost of labor now. I'll have to check into all of this further because something doesn't add up to me. But then again, when has the government EVER added up? ;)
Yes there is a limit of how many can feasibly be done in an hour and Big Brother can tell, but they charge $37 for the smog test and don't use a dyno either.
Gotta love big brother government.

Ray T

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
only thing you may have to worry about is the cops. i have had cops look under my car for the cat before, also a car with no cat smells different than a car with a cat. so the cops can also tell that way. but i drove for 2.5 years in my Evo with no cats and stinky exhaust and never got pulled over.
If and when they look for a cat, Which I doubt, Because this car isn't "LOOK At Me" Loud. But when they do look, They will find it.. The cat off the Manifold is still in place. Legally, You can Switch to a Single catalyst California approved System. Meaning, 1 High-flow Super Cat, When your Original System goes Bad. And Believe me when I Say that I've had some pretty radical car's, And Never had a Problem with California Municipalities. But, That's Me. You have to make this Decision For Your Self.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts