Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I noticed that sometimes under high RPM / high throttle situations the car stumbles momentarily, like it misses. I thought before paying a shop to examine it, I'd do simple stuff like change plugs and coil packs. Plugs were easy, but shopping for coil packs I'm seeing prices ranging from twenty some bucks each to one hundred thirty each.

What is the metric one uses to measure quality of coil packs? Does it really matter? Is it worth paying $460 for a set of coil packs or will they do no appreciably better than a $120 for four set? Thanks.

PS: The cheaper ones I was hoping will be OK are these. But before buying them, just wanted to see if it's worth spending more. I'm not opposed to spending more, but to spend it with no resulting gain would be foolish, like people paying $100 for an HDMI cable lol.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,285 Posts
what is the brand? the guys on the turbo forum always recommend OEM for coils.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Here: I just ordered these for my car from EBay

27301-2B110 Genuine Hyundai Coil assy-Ignition coil (x4pc) Fits VELOSTER TURBO
Total: $120.00
Item ID: 264326190018

These are OEM

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
Do the NAV's and the Turbos take the same coil packs?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have to disagree, The coil packs are different for the two different models. At least they are different for the 2013 V-Turbo.
27301-2B100 is for the NAV
27301-2B110 is for the Turbo

Easy enough to Google it and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
586 Posts
I have to disagree, The coil packs are different for the two different models. At least they are different for the 2013 V-Turbo.

Rockauto shows the same part number for both the turbo and NAV.
Now I did not check all years and used a mid generation year model for the find.

Thanks for clarifying that and good to know. ?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The new spark plugs came in today and I quickly changed them out. When I reinstalled the coil packs I moves the cylinder #1 coil pack to the Cylinder #4 location and moved all the rest to the left. I then went for a drive and found the "miss" has moved to the #2 cylinder which means the "miss" is definitely coil related and the bad coil is now identified. This whole exercise was precipitated because of an engine "miss" on cylinder #3, and upon observing the "miss" I immediately ordered online the plugs and coils. The coils have not yet arrived, but are expected in a week or so. Upon arrival I'll change out the coil on cylinder #2 and get the engine performance back up to normal. Just want to mention that I went with the new NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs. Here's the specifics: NGK LKR6BHX-E Part# 93763

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,285 Posts
yes, coils and plugs are absolutely a DIY job.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Okay, I just want to finish off this tread for my part. The coil packs came today, they were an exact Hyundai replacement. I replaced the #2 cylinder coil pack with a new one and took the car out for a test drive.

Hooray, no more miss and it runs as strong as when it was brand new.

I am totally happy with the whole affair, and the EBay part was exceptional and better than promised because of the quick delivery.

$30 bucks for the coil pack and $65 bucks for the sparkplugs. I am totally stoked getting it fixed for less that a hundred bucks.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
Keep us updated on this in a month or so. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Get an OBD reader and observe the diagnostic report. Use an app that is compatible with your phone/pad/laptop.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I Just replaced a 110 with a 100. It works fine and I have done in the past. I noticed the rubber flange thingy was different but upon closer inspection there's more differences. Does anyone know the difference in real terms?

The 100 I fitted as a replacement is what failed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts