Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All....

I have been reading around the forum for some time and I have seen a wide variety of discussion regarding repair, replacement and upgrades. I am not here to drop my two cents and claim I am better than the next guy. We all have one thing in common and that is the passion for cars. With that being said, I would ask the moderators to make a sticky thread for all Certified Hyundai Technicians to identify themselves (if they want to) this way we can act as a funnel for Q & A from other forum members. I have read quite a bit of information in the other threads and I have seen a lot of misinformation. If you are a Hyundai Tech and you are reading this thread then you know as techs what we have access to in the dealership that shade-tree mechanics do not. I am hear for one reason and that is to help. I love Hyundai's and all things Nissan. Hell....I don't even own a Veloster, I have an
Elantra. What I do have is a wealth of knowledge that I am willing to share to keep the Veloster passion alive and running on the road. I don't particularly care if you have a comment or thoughts....I'm to old to worry about people talking out their ***. I just want to help the next enthusiast. If I don't have the answer, then I'll do what I can to get it for you. I don't want publicity or money. If your a tech and your on-board with this then please respond. That's all I got. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oooh yay! We're saved! Thank goodness you're here to save us all! Whatever did we do for the last 8 years without you?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I'm not a Hyundai tech but I would think that the generality of all carswould determine how good of a tech you are by what you've worked on throughout your life.
40+ years wrenching, building cars, and restoring cars so does that not qualify me as a tech?
How is this determined??
Because a piece of paper states you've been schooled in auto mechanics and you're ASE certified does that say you're a tech? ?
I surely would have thought that life experience is the best teacher but in today's world that isn't acceptable anymore, no?

I love the Veloster but I don't own one so I too can't help with technical information relating to the V?
Like I said cars in general are all the same to some degree.
When I got my Porsche 944 I immediately started modding and wrenching on it and realized that this Porsche really isn't any different than my Chevy Z24.

So saying you're a tech really means nothing if you look at it from this point of view.
Papers mean nothing when it comes to knowing what you're doing. Having the right resources and utilizing them to service a car is what a tech really is.
That accumulated knowledge is a wealth of help when someone needs it no matter the car. Been there and done that is the best lesson anyone can convey to the next person with a similar situation needing a hand.

That's what we are here for.
Stick around long enough and like any forum you realize who knows things and those that regurgitate heresay. ?

Btw welcome to the forums. Glad to have you. ????

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Welcome to the forums,
We have quite a few "Certified Hyundai Techs" here on our forums. Most Join, Make one post, then we never hear from them again. Hopefully you might stick around a bit and start diagnosing problems many of our users are having. As I see it, we have eight active topics of people having problems with their Velosters and this and the intro are only threads I have seen you in. Go strut your stuff and help them out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
To be honest iam a certified tech for john deere, have seen old guys come in from other places who have more experience than me and have seen new techs come in that would literaly set themselves on fire trying to fix stuff.
My old manager who was working for 25 years with our company had 2 dozen certifications on his office wall was the most incompetent of them all.

Certification means nothing to me, id rather have someone who does it for fun not the money

Edit: dont get offended, just my 2 cents.

And even i have set my leg on fire with a grinder at work once, long story hurt like a mofo.

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
i'm not a tech but i've built a few engines and cars :)

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 68 VW Beetle, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
48 Posts
Also not an automotive tech but spent 15-20 years working on family jeep/willys based rock crawlers, Kia/hyundai tuning before there was really support for it (streetkiaz days), Vw/Audi watercooled stuff, Mini cooper, subaru, RX-7 2jz swapped drift car, and aircooled vws. I don't profess to be an expert at all of those but I could certainly fix 90% of what's wrong with those cars with a few KB articles and a shop manual.

misnblu and Sheeeep are right though, I've know certified people (both in ASE and in my field of cloud security engineering) that could either run circles around me or accidentally light their own pants on fire while tying their shoe. The longer you spend around a forum/group, the better you get at identifying those who know what they're talking about. paper is meaningless now days unless you're applying for a job (even my 4 year Information systems degree).

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
awe yeah... streetkiaz!!

brentuning up the street before they closed up were able to offer kia/hyundai tunes for older elantras and rios.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ignore the haters. What they don't think about is that you have access to all the "secret" diagrams and troubleshooting information only provided to Hyundai/Kia dealers and techs. Thanks for being here. Now for my simple question that I cannot get a valid answer for. I am installing some aftermarket gauges and I am looking for an easy connection to the dimmer controlled lighting circuit so the backlights will dim with the dash adjustments. I do know I can get a connection at the radio, but would rather not tear the whole dash apart for one connection. There must be another place to grab this feed. Can you help, maybe a wiring diagram or color code in a harness? Thank you in advance for your assistance. I too am a car guy and have been building, rebuilding and tweaking cars since 1967 when I got my first car in High School. I really got a big education over the last 10 years on Mercedes (owned 2) but the biggest "holy ****" came when I did an engine rebuild and almost a full restoration of a BMW 325ix Touring. That taught me way more than I wanted to know about Beamers. Same with a Volvo I owned. I love my Veloster and my wife's Kia and admire the quality build and technology. I just wish that Hyundai/Kia would be looser with diagrams and service manuals. Hope you can answer my question.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It has nothing to do with haters.
case in point i was working on a machine today with an overheating problem.
Never worked on the model so i firstly checked the simple things, air in system perhaps? Clogged radiator? Etc
Coworker already slapped 3 new thermostats on so i was kind of at a loss because you do not want to open anything unless you are certain you are going to find the problem.

We have a dealer network where i could browse possible solutions but instead i go on the internet and find that not only the waterpump impeller is plastic but it tends to break alot where normally i would not suspect the waterpump since the metal ones never die

Rip out waterpump, found broken impeller, replace waterpump.
Couldnt do stuff like that without feedback from forums

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
you can get those special diagrams if you pay for them.

also a bunch of us have the service manual on our machines when it was available from XE.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome to the forums,
We have quite a few "Certified Hyundai Techs" here on our forums. Most Join, Make one post, then we never hear from them again. Hopefully you might stick around a bit and start diagnosing problems many of our users are having. As I see it, we have eight active topics of people having problems with their Velosters and this and the intro are only threads I have seen you in. Go strut your stuff and help them out.
You called that one...

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
he's only been here 4 days and was on yesterday. so might be a bit early to call it:)

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
he's only been here 4 days and was on yesterday. so might be a bit early to call it:)
How long do we have to wait?
15 Days?
Should we stock up on toilet paper?
?

·
Registered
16 VT
461 Posts
I was a tech, just traded my santafe, so Ill be on this forum instead of that one. Then, when its gone, off to another forum or maybe a veloster again, who knows.

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
I’m literally one of the only people in the world with a modified 01 Kia Rio lol so there’s that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was a tech, just traded my santafe, so Ill be on this forum instead of that one. Then, when its gone, off to another forum or maybe a veloster again, who knows.
Funny you say that because I'm here and drive an Accent and I'm also on the Veloster turbo forums along with being on the FordFocusSt forums as well. ?
It doesn't hurt to learn what you can on different forums and on occasions may even be able to help someone out. ??

·
Registered
16 VT
461 Posts
Yeah, ive googled my username because i use the same one each forum, and if you didnt notice, the old focus forums pop up when i didnt know much about nothin (03 svt, high school) Kinda cool seein they still there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Me thinks he's gone...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts