Veloster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw couple posting regarding code P0420, is this code refers to the cat behind engine, that's manifold and cat, there are two cat on the car, does bank 1 refers to cat next to manifold, I guess yes, parts is $350 on rockauto new, 300-400 on eaby used, should I get it replaced, it also could be 02 sensor. I need help. I read few postings, most of replaced by dealer, but my vt is 120K miles now, warranty doesn't work, so I have to pay. I'm thinking either fix now or no repair untill 2017 emission test, then get rid of the car. IL law require 1st emission test after 5 years on the new cars, so 2012-17 is 5 years, what do you guys think, replace manifold car or not, thanks
Tom

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
you could save some money and buy a low mileage downpipe removed by members who swap out for other downpipes. that is what i did. got it for $100 .

but it could be the o2 sensor.

for the heck of it get the code reset at autozone for free. see if it comes back.

and the car runs better without a CEL, why would you even consider leave it as is? a clogged cat can cause engine failure. nice to see a higher mileage VT too.

Reactions: misnblu

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
To elaborate, they refuse to reset a code unless you fix something right then on your car. They claim "legal reasons."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we're not discussing autozone, I have a scanner, but it only tells you bank 1. There is only one bank on veloster, everyone knows that. I need to know if P0420 caused by sensor 1 or sensor 2 or cat or all of them. I saw couple guys start with sensor 2, after replacement, some works, but some still have lights on. Mfg warranty can replace all cat and o2 sensor free, but since I'm at 120K miles now, I have to pay for repair. So my questions is that does P0420 caused by o2 sensor or cat or both, which sensor should I start with, sensor 1 or 2, which cat should I start with, manifold cat or the other cat underneath the car, thanks for help.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
you answered your own question. it could be any combination of the 3. but start with postcat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong I own a NAV, is there an 02 sensor after the second cat on the turbo models? Because if here isn't an 02 sensor after it then changing the second cat won't fix any codes for you because nothing has readings on second cat. That's why when you remove it you don't throw a code

·
Registered
2 Posts
you could save some money and buy a low mileage downpipe removed by members who swap out for other downpipes. that is what i did. got it for $100 .

but it could be the o2 sensor.

for the heck of it get the code reset at autozone for free. see if it comes back.

and the car runs better without a CEL, why would you even consider leave it as is? a clogged cat can cause engine failure. nice to see a higher mileage VT too.
Where would one look up these downpipes?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
Facebook marketplace?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
552 Posts
so the engine light shut off now two days fingers crossed engine working just fine at 158k im doordashing daily and honestly abuse her on the highway but shes a rider. i just did her brakes today and going to start treating her lbetter
If you e got that many miles on the car it is time to do some preventative maintenance to keep the car from throwing cel's and problems down the road.

Most people replace parts blindly when things break but preventative maintenance stops that from happening.
Change those O2 sensors before they go bad.
Do a basic tuneup like plugs and coils and keep the old parts for spare if ever needed.
Always replace with OEM parts when possible like the coils, plugs, and most any sensor unless you can get the OEM cheaper through other sources.

Dont wait for the car to break before you replace.
This commercial will now end in 3, 2, 1, and 👍😉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts