Veloster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6L 2012 Veloster. I was driving down the highway earlier today, my radiator cap busted off and blew all of my coolant out. I pulled over, walked to the closest part store.. and replaced my radiator cap, also filled my car with more coolant. When I tried starting it back up, it cranks, but will not start up. I scanned my car for engine light, it pops up with Bank 3, 4 (spark plugs), and knock sensor bank 1. I replaced my coils, and spark plugs. It still doesn’t start. It has power, but will not start. Could it be a bad fuel pump, blown head gasket?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,544 Posts
compression test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next thing I would suspect is the crankshaft position sensor, especially before thinking the engine is trashed.
compression test?
Wasn’t able to do the compression test since my compression adapters are bigger than I needed. Going to try that Friday when I receive my new ones.
I filled my car with coolant a few days ago, went to look at the oil dip stick. It’s shiny, light bright, and has metal shavings in it.
I’m guessing it could be a blown head, but also either a messed up timing chain?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you have metal shavings in the lubrication oil the natural assumption is that the engine is trashed. You could get a magnetic oil drain plug and (1) see if the particles are iron, and (2) hopefully remove the particles from the oil.
A timing chain relies upon a full charge of engine oil to maintain itself healthfully. Running an engine with low engine oil speeds up the wear of the cam chain and sprockets. A worn cam chain affects the timing of the valve train which in effect impinges of the running of the engine. A severely worn cam chain can sometimes jump a tooth on the cam chain sprocket and result in an extremely poor running engine, if the engine can run at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts