Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the stupid question but does the 2015 vt have camshaft lifters? And if so how many?
Most recently I’ve gotten oil change
Using oem filter and Mobil 5-30 Full synthetic high mileage blend
Current Mileage 111,192
But before I’m due or close to another oil change I always get a ticking noice when I start up my engine and sometimes like when I get new oil change it isn’t noticeable. (Very quiet)
So I’m thinking it’s the lifter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excessive valvetrain noise is particularly common on our engines, especially when they get into the >100k miles range. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you are, post a video of cold start and warm idle.

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts

Your lifters will probably look something like this and you would have to take the camshafts out to spec in new ones; not usually necessary. Also, the high pressure fuel pump is noisy on all these Hyundais, that's why it has a big chunk of insulation on engine cover; if its not missing. As you might of guessed, it also runs on a lifter like this and probably wears just the same.

Your doing good with oil and filter, it sounds like; every 5k correct? 5w-40 is a great choice, too.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
Get rid of the Mobil1 oil and go with a full synthetic like the Royal Purple HPS formula.
Excellent oil for higher mileage engines and has lots of zinc for valve tappets or lifters as you'd say for the best lubrication and anti-wear properties.
This is a much better oil than the Mobil1. 👍🙂

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it thanks guys! Will be changing my oil today.
also if I buy RP from Walmart it’s not lower grade oil? I’ve heard Walmart only buys oil weather RP or Mobil that is not the same stuff due to being discounted.

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts
I don't believe that, but the regular RP is not worth the extra $$$.

Have you used Mobil 1 exclusively? If not, supertech and others work just fine.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
"I’ve heard Walmart only buys oil weather RP or Mobil that is not the same stuff due to being discounted."

If that were true you would see it in the specifications (differences) printed on the container. 😊

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't believe that, but the regular RP is not worth the extra $$$.

Have you used Mobil 1 exclusively? If not, supertech and others work just fine.
I could argue that all day but that's not what I'm here for. 😉👍
Once you understand the difference between regular petroleum base oil and full synthetic the extra dollars spent will be well spent.
Walmart RP is real RP oil so yes.
Good luck on your decision. 👍🤙

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts
I could argue that all day but that's not what I'm here for. 😉👍
Once you understand the difference between regular petroleum base oil and full synthetic the extra dollars spent will be well spent.
Walmart RP is real RP oil so yes.
Good luck on your decision. 👍🤙
No worries, I've just read for an API oil, it's just overpriced and for 5k oil changes, it is what it is.
They do make better ones, here is something I found on Amazon. API is probably a safe choice with emissions and all that, but without, better stuff is out there for sure.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
777 Posts
No worries, I've just read for an API oil, it's just overpriced and for 5k oil changes, it is what it is.
They do make better ones, here is something I found on Amazon. API is probably a safe choice with emissions and all that, but without, better stuff is out there for sure. View attachment 134450
All good choices but you've got to read the pds and sds (product safety sheet and safety data sheet) to really get down to what make the oil what it is and how it can be useful for the car.
That's how I selected the HPS RP over the others and the Blackstone Labs confirmed my choice of oils. 👍😁

Also hers an excellent article from an engine builder company that knows oils. They're not selling oil but giving a layman's explanation why full synthetic is better than petroleum oil. It's worth the read. 🤙

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts
Yes, I found you posted that in another thread awhile ago while I was doing some digging on stuff...good stuff and honest, I got carried away at...

"THE EXECUTIONER"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet I am on the way to get the RP now!
Another stupid question…
I have the pcv vented to atmosphere and an short ram intake also an oil catch can. Do I need a BOV for any reasons regarding the car’s health or the turbo? Or am I good with stock ?

·
Registered
16 VT
1,182 Posts
I found the aftermarket BOVs are superior! But stock works fine; might leak.

I have the same Injen, but goes to the front bumper; if you wanted, you would just buy the extra pipe to do cold.

Oh, and are you running without that top cover on engine? just curious

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
I found the aftermarket BOVs are superior! But stock works fine; will leak eventually.
fixed that for you ;)

i run without the engine cover during the summer. i've also removed the rear rubber trim on the front of the wiper cowl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the aftermarket BOVs are superior! But stock works fine; might leak.

I have the same Injen, but goes to the front bumper; if you wanted, you would just buy the extra pipe to do cold.

Oh, and are you running without that top cover on engine? just curious
Yea I dont have a cover or box for the cone Is that bad? I noticed it does use a lot of gas even on eco boost mode. Ima invest in a box/ cover for the intake this month

1 - 20 of 21 Posts