Veloster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Turbo 6MT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out for a drive tonight. I didn't make contact with any other Hyundai drivers as I'd been hoping, but I did come back with the conclusion that my brakes feel very "used up" with a disturbing amount of shudder felt esp. through the steering wheel during hard braking. Brakes haven't really been checked since I bought the car (spring 2020, but it's been in the shop for most of that time); rotors appear to be in good condition but not of a particularly fancy type, pads are unknown on both counts.

Tire Rack doesn't seem to have much in the way of brakes for this car. It does show Stoptech rotors, but all available pads seem to be at a somewhat lower performance level than the maximum. There is a Brembo 345mm brake kit, which I don't remember being there the last time I looked, but 1. it seems to be a front fitment only, 2. I don't want to go plus-size on wheels (I'm actually wondering if a -1 wheel & tire combo might be possible!), and 3. a $3500 kit would wipe out most of my remaining cash at this point. So for now, I must settle for replacing pads and rotors within the stock setup. Does anyone have recommendations, assuming that the objective is maximum performance without going all the way to a big brake conversion kit (and while avoiding drilled rotors if possible)?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm pretty much set on getting my new brakes (front only) from Rock Auto. I'll be looking for OEM or equivalent, pads and rotors, not looking for any kind of upgrade. Right now Rock Auto has some pads on special to the 2013 turbo, but I declined buying them even tho they're on a discontinued half price sale. I don't think there is any advantage in buying any super dooper rotors, they're all iron and in real world use have to meet standard specs which is good enough for me. You could spend a lot more, but not really getting any more except bragging rights.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
Get cheap rotors from the parts store, get better pads and fluid if you want performance. This has worked fantastic for most weekend racers. Don’t forget to clean and regrease the slides.

just be cognizant there are two different rotor sizes for turbo. Measure your diameter if you
Can before buying anything.

Reactions: Ricky-D and misnblu

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally I'm watching my local junkyards for a Caddy CTS-V to try and do the front brake swap. Minimal mods to make those one-piece brembos fit on our cars (and they come stamped with a V!).

Apparently Mitsubishi lancer rotors also fit for us. There's a post on the whole thing around here somewhere. The guy who wrote it up found the whole thing done for <$500 but got a pretty good deal on things. Could definitely do it for <$800

·
Registered
'13 Turbo 6MT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get cheap rotors from the parts store, get better pads and fluid if you want performance. This has worked fantastic for most weekend racers. Don’t forget to clean and regrease the slides.

just be cognizant there are two different rotor sizes for turbo. Measure your diameter if you
Can before buying anything.
TR doesn't seem to have that many max-performance pad options for this car; do you have any recommendations as far as brand and model?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
825 Posts
TR doesn't seem to have that many max-performance pad options for this car; do you have any recommendations as far as brand and model?
Hawk pads, EBC, Stop tech, and PowerStop make some good product for the street car and higher performance than stock. 👍

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
rotors: oreilly painted rotors they are a cheap brand but work great. i am using EBC redstuff for pads right now. I believe I ordered them from a vendor or amazon. fluid i'm using ate typ 200 . i have replaced all my softlines with sunsong lines from rockauto.

the pierce porterfield pads are absolutely crap on the street they require lots of heat to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts