Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Velotster 2012 DCT (non Turbo)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a leaking brake line from corrosion, leaking from mid/rear section of the car. I intend to replace the rear lines myself. I've never done this before, but I have been studying the process, tools, and brake line layout on my car. I have to say there is a ton of information on brake hoses, and almost nothing on brake lines that I could find (except general cutting/bending/flaring).
From what i understand so far, after removing the splash shield, I’m going to disconnect the rear lines from the brake hoses to the ABS pump. (Rear Passenger line goes up behind the charcoal canister so that will have to be disconnected for access.)

Then use the old lines as a template for bending new lines. (thats over simplifying but my uncertainty is in the connections)
Planning on stainless steel lines and renting a flaring kit

questions;
-What size are the brake lines for the 2012 Veloster (non Turbo)? 3/16 or 1/4?
-Do the brake lines connecting to ABS pump need an adapter for a double flared line?
-Where should I disconnect first? at wheel or ABS pump?
-Do I need a special plug for ABS ports while line is off?

I’d appreciate any input, thank you

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I must say that you are going to be embarking on a journey fraught with aggravation and little chance of success.

Just the issue of the reverse flare is a most difficult operation with plenty of frustration accompanying the trial and error.

Because the brake lines are steel, the difficulty of correctly bending them to yield a product that will precisely fit is only and usually relegated to machine computer bending.

That is why the correct brake line is available to purchase with a guaranteed proper fit.

I mean, just the job of installing a new brake line is a very difficult job, especially the line you need to replace, and increasingly so without a lift to aid in the access to the underside of the car.

I predict you will expend considerably more money doing it your way, to end up with an acceptable and safe final product.

It could be that since the car is Korean, the brake lines may be mm instead of inches.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,285 Posts
doing hard lines by hand is a completely **** job. i've done it a few times now. if i could have purchased preformed lines i would have. my hourly wage vs the hours i spent doing lines from front to back was more than a wash lol

the biggest trouble is at the firewall side, going up between the frame and the firewall and the complex bends there.

then making the flares :) you would be wise to use a flare tool for what you need, and figure out if it's a double or bubble or single. i managed to do all the bubble flares on the kia using a double flare tool and some ingenuity. i could have spent $60 on the proper tool but i used what i had.

yeah - if you can get preformed lines... do that :)

i did the hardlines from the prop valve all the way to the wheel cylinders on the kia.
i did the same on our old elantra. the cars were not much different...

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do pre bent lines exist, I couldn't find any available for veloster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-What size are the brake lines for the 2012 Veloster (non Turbo)? 3/16 or 1/4?
-Do the brake lines connecting to ABS pump need an adapter for a double flared line?
-Where should I disconnect first? at wheel or ABS pump?
-Do I need a special plug for ABS ports while line is off?
-What is the part number for pre-bend brake lines?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,285 Posts
not many if any have done this... we are not going to have the info offhand unfortunately. you may need to crack some lines to find out.

my kia had double AND bubble flares. hopefully everyone has learned their lesson and only used one type of flare. you can look at replacement abs modules and such close up to see what kind of flare they are. as for the line diameter you may need a caliper.

you can check for the part numbers at jim ellis hyundai or hyundaioempartsdirect those are the sites i use to get numbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a poor mans caliper, adjustable wrench over the line and measure the gap. Veloster Fuel Lines have an out side diameter of 3/16

1 - 8 of 8 Posts