Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in early morning when i want to go to my University , when i Start Rolling , the brakes make a violent loud popping sound when released , then everything is fine , brakes work ok , and this does not happen again

this has not happened to me before , it only started few days ago (when the weather started to be cold and we had some serious continuous rain)

I read on forums of other cars that this is normal , and that this happens due to little rust caused by the rain and multiple releases will make it go (when weather improves)

Did this happen to you before? and what to do ?

it is not affecting the car's performance but it is annoying (especially that in the morning ,one is sleepy then comes this popping and scares you :p ) and also am afraid of consequences and whether this will damage something>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, I've never had that issue because my old VT fit in my carport. Now with the Genny and it's longer wheelbase, I can't get it into my carport without bottoming out so it's not parked under any cover and I get this problem all the time. When it rains, the rotors tend to get dusted with rust.

This shouldn't hurt the brakes at all. After all, when you are stopping your car, the rotors and brakes are put under MUCH more extreme conditions. Though agreed, it is annoying and worrisome when I back out of the driveway and I get the moan and groan of the brakes until I get out of the driveway and that rust clears off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've never had that issue because my old VT fit in my carport. Now with the Genny and it's longer wheelbase, I can't get it into my carport without bottoming out so it's not parked under any cover and I get this problem all the time. When it rains, the rotors tend to get dusted with rust.

This shouldn't hurt the brakes at all. After all, when you are stopping your car, the rotors and brakes are put under MUCH more extreme conditions. Though agreed, it is annoying and worrisome when I back out of the driveway and I get the moan and groan of the brakes until I get out of the driveway and that rust clears off.
Thanks man

and when the weather improves , this issue will go away , right?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Normal. Both my cars do it after they have been sitting in damp weather. Its just a tiny bit of rust that forms between the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks man

and when the weather improves , this issue will go away , right?
Yeah, it should go away. It only happens to me after my car has been sitting after the rain stops and the moisture forms a thin layer of rust. No rain, no moaning and groaning. It should go away after a little bit of driving as that thin layer of rust gets cleaned off with the usage of your brakes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've mentioned this a long time ago but never got any replies. I've even had my entire brake system replaced twice under warranty by Hyundai. I wish I knew this was "normal" behaviour; I wouldn't have wasted so much of my time and their time. Like the OP this only happens in fall/winter when the mercury starts to dip below freezing.

·
weekend racer
6,562 Posts
FWIW hyundai likes to have the brake caliper pins lubed up every 15K are you having this service performed?

·
Registered
636 Posts
FWIW hyundai likes to have the brake caliper pins lubed up every 15K are you having this service performed?
Sounds like that's not the only thing getting lubed if HMC suggests dealers perform this unecessay "lube" of caliper pins evry 15k. I have 73k on my original brakes to date and never "relubed" the caliper pins. I have checked under the pin "boot" but found adequate lube from the factory still working just fine. As long as they slide on the pins all is good. If there is a tear or hole in the pin boot, that would be a concern since the moisture now has access to an otherwise weathertight assembly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the rain has stopped and everything is back to normal now , and havent had faced any similar thing in the past few days

This is why i love this forum , most users here are knowledgeable and always ready to help

thanks guys especially Taimaishoo

·
weekend racer
6,562 Posts
Sounds like that's not the only thing getting lubed if HMC suggests dealers perform this unecessay "lube" of caliper pins evry 15k. I have 73k on my original brakes to date and never "relubed" the caliper pins. I have checked under the pin "boot" but found adequate lube from the factory still working just fine. As long as they slide on the pins all is good. If there is a tear or hole in the pin boot, that would be a concern since the moisture now has access to an otherwise weathertight assembly.

remember the huge issue with 2012/2013 and rear brakes sticking / falling apart? could be a CYA move.

i was at the dealer and they wanted to charge me to do this. they said if my brakes lock up they wont be covered. i told the service manager i would do it myself, and if i had a problem they would be fixing it under warranty... or i would get corp involved.. there is no way im going to pay a chunk of change for a 10 minute service i can do my self lol i don't believe they check the pistons in the calipers.

im with you though - i found no issues with the factory lube however i cleaned and re-lubed them with the same stuff i used on my old mitsu. permatex hi-temp caliper lube. i did manage to take timestamped photos as a CYA move for myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts