Veloster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been using some aftermarket sparkplug coils for many months and I had zero issues.
Here is the interesting thing.
I didn't even notice this, until a few days ago, when I was cleaning the garage and dug out my old coils.
Just for the heck of it, I put them back in for a day.
First thing I noticed, the car felt a lot slower. The car has 62k on it (2013 turbo) so I bought the new coils last year , after I had some misfires, which actually turned out to be a spark plug issue and not the coils.
After that, I replaced the coils and didn't have a problem ever since.
So anyway, I put the old coils back and the car really felt slower. No misfires, but my butt-dyno was telling me that it's just not the same power output, especially on low rpms.
As I put the new ones back in, I noticed that the coil shaft is a bit shorter than the OEM, but no other differences. They also fit more snug and I can actually feel the sparkplug top reaching those spring connectors inside the coil.
With the stock ones, they always felt like they aren't fully contacting the plugs or something, somehow I can't get the plugs reach the contacting spring looking coil inside the boot, because the boot is too long and can't be forced down any farther.
So then I was thinking, what if these older ones are not the original ones? I mean I'm the second owner of this car, who knows if this is original or not, the service dept for the previous owner or the dealer I bought the car from may have installed these?
I may make some pictures and update the post, if anyone interested.

·
weekend racer
6,491 Posts
I don't know enough about the coils to give an opinion, but yeah! please post some photos!

·
Registered
206 Posts
What brand of aftermarket coils are they?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts