Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been using some aftermarket sparkplug coils for many months and I had zero issues.
Here is the interesting thing.
I didn't even notice this, until a few days ago, when I was cleaning the garage and dug out my old coils.
Just for the heck of it, I put them back in for a day.
First thing I noticed, the car felt a lot slower. The car has 62k on it (2013 turbo) so I bought the new coils last year , after I had some misfires, which actually turned out to be a spark plug issue and not the coils.
After that, I replaced the coils and didn't have a problem ever since.
So anyway, I put the old coils back and the car really felt slower. No misfires, but my butt-dyno was telling me that it's just not the same power output, especially on low rpms.
As I put the new ones back in, I noticed that the coil shaft is a bit shorter than the OEM, but no other differences. They also fit more snug and I can actually feel the sparkplug top reaching those spring connectors inside the coil.
With the stock ones, they always felt like they aren't fully contacting the plugs or something, somehow I can't get the plugs reach the contacting spring looking coil inside the boot, because the boot is too long and can't be forced down any farther.
So then I was thinking, what if these older ones are not the original ones? I mean I'm the second owner of this car, who knows if this is original or not, the service dept for the previous owner or the dealer I bought the car from may have installed these?
I may make some pictures and update the post, if anyone interested.

·
weekend racer
6,979 Posts
I don't know enough about the coils to give an opinion, but yeah! please post some photos!

·
Registered
247 Posts
What brand of aftermarket coils are they?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Butt dyno's are 100% unreliable. Butt dyno's reflect unconscious wishes and desires.
Sensory receptors of the human body are not to be taken likely. Muscle memory of certain movements can sense any change from the norm if the inputs to something have change by any tiny or minute margin.

It's also funny you say butt dyno reference has no merit as any race car driver can feel any single change to an adjustment to the car, is analyzed, and then changed according to the drivers input by the technician recalibrating the car.

So please stop commenting on those things you apparently have no clue about since all you do is add posts that have absolutely no worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts