Veloster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2015 Veloster turbo manual, after I got on the throttle alot though it threw a misfire code and at low idle (below 900) I get an oil pressure light.

The shop said it was tuned,
What can I do to remedy these issues? Where can I go?

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 68 VW Beetle, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
48 Posts
first place i would start is replace the oil filter with a Hyundai OEM one, there's a bunch of threads here discussing the physical differences between the oem filters and aftermarket ones that quick change places use (addressing the oil pressure light). the ECU tune on the other hand may or may not suggest aftermarket parts as well. it would be important to see if you can find out what all was modifed to see if reverting the ecu to stock is possible/advisable.

I would also see if the dealer or a mechanic can check for permanent stored codes to see if the previous owner might have hot traded it in when they started having issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first place i would start is replace the oil filter with a Hyundai OEM one, there's a bunch of threads here discussing the physical differences between the oem filters and aftermarket ones that quick change places use. the ECU tune on the other hand may or may not suggest aftermarket parts as well. it would be important to see if you can find out what all was modifed to see if reverting the ecu to stock is possible/advisable.
I changed the oil and the filter the day after I brought it home. With the one recommended by advanced Auto parts.

How would I go about finding all that? It has a after market intake, and the exhaust has been modded but I'm not too sure about the rest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I changed the oil and the filter the day after I brought it home. With the one recommended by advanced Auto parts.

How would I go about finding all that? It has a after market intake, and the exhaust has been modded but I'm not too sure about the rest.
sad to say and someone else can throw their $.02 in but what they recommend at the autopart stores is usually not the best thing for the car. Specifically with Hyundai Kia filters they have a check valve in the filter to avoid flow back and avoid oil starvation. To the best of my knowledge no aftermarket filters have that check valve internally.

Aftermarket intake and exhaust are a good start. there isn't a ton of aftermarket engine parts they likely would have used for velosters. any chance you could get some detailed pictures of the engine bay to see if anyone can spot additional parts that might have been replaced?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sad to say and someone else can throw their $.02 in but what they recommend at the autopart stores is usually not the best thing for the car. Specifically with Hyundai Kia filters they have a check valve in the filter to avoid flow back and avoid oil starvation. To the best of my knowledge no aftermarket filters have that check valve internally.

Aftermarket intake and exhaust are a good start. there isn't a ton of aftermarket engine parts they likely would have used for velosters. any chance you could get some detailed pictures of the engine bay to see if anyone can spot additional parts that might have been replaced?
As soon as I get it back from the shop. Probably tomorrow

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
weekend racer
7,385 Posts
oem filter is the way to go.

get us some pics! that can help.

Reactions: wrenchlife1973

·
Registered
48 Posts
at the minimum it looks like someone was messing with the radio wiring harness as well and put an aftermarket Amp in. (not that has much to do with your engine issues)

otherwise it looks stock except the cone filter (the air intake tube is stock).

Question for you, what kind of octane fuel are you using? it's 87 from the factory but if that ecu is tuned it's likely expecting 91 octane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer had been using the lowest, but I've been running higher grade since I got it. Also used some fuel treatment.

The shop I took it to also said it was getting a code for too much air?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did they give you the codes? It's a little weird it thinks it's getting too much air on a turboed car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all are awesome. As I work 12 hours overnight I can't respond as much as I would like nor get the info you all need, but I will be free tomorrow so i can start then

·
Registered
74 Posts
Buying a tuned car without proper history is a bit of a no no to me personally.

That being said, give it a good once over, including the proper oil and filter and just drive it for a while to see exactly what is going on.

If its higher mileage it wouldnt hurt to do a full service with sparkplugs, transmission oil etc. As i would do with all vehicles i buy second hand.

That being said i also have had misfires or knock on my nav some times, especially when running low octane in hot weather.
Havent had a problem since i used 93

1 - 16 of 16 Posts