Veloster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2013 VT with 86,000 miles on it.
I have been driving it for two years.
I am not aware of any modifications on it.
My boost hose keeps coming off where it's clamped at the place shown in the pictures. After 7 times, I took it to a Hyundai dealership. They just clamped it again, drove the car, and it didn't come off; so they did nothing more. No charge.
It blew off again two days later.
I have not seen a post on here about this hose blowing off of a tightly clamp connection.
There have been no codes set.
I'm thinking the boost pressure spikes because of a BOV or BPV or waste gate issue.
When I reattach it, it comes off again in less than mile - to a couple of miles. One time, it stayed on for 2 weeks of driving, and one time for 2 days.
What do you think?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,559 Posts
You might try spraying the resonator pipe fitting with some hair spray and see it that holds it. Get a good clamp, dont skimp here.

Reactions: Lou

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try spraying the resonator pipe fitting with some hair spray and see it that holds it. Get a good clamp, dont skimp here.
Thanks!
It was oily at first, but I wiped the parts with paper towels since then. I can try the spray.
I thought it was odd that I couldn't find any posts, anywhere about that hose constantly coming off, so I decided that everybody else knows an obvious problem, that is not obvious to ME; and they just fix it right the first time.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,742 Posts
what he said, if it pops again spray the connection with hair spray. also move the clamp closer to the bump in the pipe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Others have already said it. Sometimes those clamps fail and need replacing even though they're not visibly damaged. You can also switch to a T-bolt clamp which is more secure, but much more expensive, harder to find, and IMO harder to work with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Others have already said it. Sometimes those clamps fail and need replacing even though they're not visibly damaged. You can also switch to a T-bolt clamp which is more secure, but much more expensive, harder to find, and IMO harder to work with.
Thanks.
I'm all FOR keeping that hose on. I just don't want something to rupture if there is a pressure purge problem.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,742 Posts
The bov will tear log before that lol

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,742 Posts
damn!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hairspray may work, it may not !!

I know this though, if you do not get all the oil off of the resonator and out of the hose end it will continue to slip off.

You need to use a good solvent to remove all the oil trace. And then clean it one more time.

It will not slip off again if you do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay.
Good advice provided good results!
So far, the boost hose has stayed on for 8 days of my normal style of driving, and distance of about 150 miles.

I degreased the hose and resonator connection.
Then I sprayed hairspray on the resonator inlet, and let it dry before putting the hose back on.
Then I clamped it tight.

I used the same standard aftermarket hose clamp though, because I couldn't determine what size T-bolt clamp will work. The descriptions of those clamps doesn't indicate much of an adjustment range.
I need to know the actual clamping range not the hose size range.
That boost hose is not like a simple radiator hose. The specs on the T-bolt clamps make it look like you have to use one so large that it won't have enough adjustment range to tighten the connection.
So far, the standard clamp is enough with the degreasing & hairspray.
-
Now a related question:
Where is the oil that is inside the boost hose coming from? The turbo?
Should I be concerned about oil inside that hose?
-
Thanks

·
Administrator
4,559 Posts
Good to see things worked out for you.
A couple of drips or residue in the hose is nothing to be concerned about but a lot is. The car might have been overfilled with oil, you might have a clogged air filter and it can get worse from there like leaky turbo etc. Lets hope that is not the case.

Reactions: RPW00Mirage and Lou
1 - 12 of 12 Posts