Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo Automatic transmission 65,8xx Miles on it. My problem occurred today when I was trying to accelerate into traffic, heard a pop, metal clang, loss of power, engine smoking. I drive like a hundred feet to pull off into a parking lot. Pop the hood and can see smoke coming off the engine. First thing I look at is the intake pipe to my turbo. Well just underneath that I can see what looks to be oil splashed over everything and that was what was causing the smoke.

I call my insurance to get it towed back to my house. I'm standing around to wait for my ride. Well out underneath the front passenger tire I see green fluid, so I believe my coolant was leaking to. While I was waiting I walk back down to where I first heard the pop, go into the street and grab two pieces of metal in the road. One piece was about 1 in in length and the other was about 2-3in in length.

I get picked up, go to my house and wait for the tow truck. Well the bed of tow truck is cover in fluids. He said when he was pulling it up from the rear that everything just started pouring out. Well I try to take a look underneath my car while it is on the flatbed. I can't see much other than everything on the right side on the bottom of the engine is cover in oil... But I also now smell gasoline. I jack the car up and get underneath and from what I can see is that what ever the two pieces of metal were look like the came off the bottom of the engine near the pulleys

So my question is, is I have the extend warranty through a 3rd party, that is 120 months, 100,000 mi. I bought the highest package that was available. How much trouble is it going to be for me to try and get them to replace whatever it is that happened. I do have an aftermarket intake on it, but still have the original intake that came with the car and I'm going to be putting that back on before I take it up there. I've been good with the maintenance, with oil changes and everything is. But unfortunately don't have all the receipts for them as I did them myself.

The dealership that I will be taking my car to is Porter Hyundai in Newark DE.

These are the pieces that I could find.

20171114_193604.jpg
20171114_193556.jpg

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
The 2013 turbo has known transmission/engine problems. Glad to know you have some type of extended coverage. But until it is tested/checked you won't know what the problem is and whether it is covered. You gotta take it in. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2013 turbo has known transmission/engine problems. Glad to know you have some type of extended coverage. But until it is tested/checked you won't know what the problem is and whether it is covered. You gotta take it in. Good luck.
Thanks. When and if they do replace it, would they give me a newer engine, or would they put the same year back in there?

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
It may be the same year but corrected. Can't say for sure since I've not had this done but know a few folks who had transmissions/engines replaced during the 2013 model year. Everyone I know who had this done traded in the car soon afterwards so I don't know if the correction/repair was really successful or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its really hard to answer your questions, as it really depends on the 3rd party company and how they want to be. I have seen some that will try everything to deny the claim. If this happens fight it. Do not except it if you feel they are being unfair. Demand they re look at it case, and demand to speak to manager etc.. Just fight, the worse they can do is continue to say no. I hope it does not come to that.

if they flat out deny the calm and your stuck with a car with a blown engine. They are easy to replace. Bought a 2012 for $500 with a blown engine and replaced it myself with a 2016 Accent motor.

Good luck

·
weekend racer
7,401 Posts
those are engine bits for sure. put the stock intake on and good luck with your claim!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the car was picked up yesterday. They go the car on a lift and called me back around 4pm that night. It was definitely a blown engine and pieces off the engine block. But they said that they were going to start working on it. They said I was just up there a few months ago for an oil change so it wasn't a problem of maintenance.

They also stated that they just replace a engine in another veloster earlier this week. Said it cost them about 7,000 for a new engine. But they said that the 3rd party warranty is probably going to send an adjuster out to look at it.

So I'm hoping this works out and I can just unload this car.

Anyone have recommendations on another brand of vehicle that's reliable. Going to have to start looking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2013 seems to be a bad year for velosters. Mine is at 40k and already had 2 clutches, both axles replaced, and now body parts are falling apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 VT has been at the local Hyundai for almost 3 months at 77k a Rod broke and shot a piston through the block I babied this car and was coming to a stop when this happened! The third party warranty company Protective was a nightmare to work with it took a month and me filing a complaint with the attorney General's office against them and the Toyota dealer that sold me the car and the warranty to get the repairs authorized. I had excellent service records and had an oil change and coil replaced three weeks prior. They waited so long that during this time there has been a recall on Sonatas that has halted the assembly of my motor so they had to buy the new motor and turbo in pieces and assemble it at the Hyundai Dealership! Luckily I have a 2018 sonata loaner from the dealership otherwise I would be ticked. I think the warranty co thought I was just some dumb chick little do they know I was married to a mechanic for 20 years and grew up around street rods and can wrench some on the little things myself. What a nightmare! I just want my baby back! It was my divorce present!

Attachments

·
weekend racer
7,401 Posts
welcome to the club and you picked the best color!

sorry about your motor, the 2013 had the weakest internals... hopefully they are putting the revised, beefier stuff in! it'll be worth it when it's finished.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I second the choice of colour, but I might be a bit biased...

Hope it works out for the best :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a feeling the motor was never completely normal. The mechanic putting it back together at the dealership used to build race motors and the service manager there and I are tight he used to work at Honda with a family member. I love the color people usually ask me if it's new like a 2018 I take such good care of it and so it the guy before me. I went through a lot to get that thing. They $7,100 for a new engine and turbo and I am not paying a dime! Should have it back this next week!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my car back on Friday not a dime out of my pocket and a year factory warranty along with it. The pick up seems better than ever! Anxious to see how the gas mileage is, it was horrible before. The service manager seems to think so as well. Time will tell! It's funny though how a car just fits I got back in and it felt like home! Grinning from ear to ear!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good stuff! You're right about the fit, I miss driving mine when it's stored for the winter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just about the same thing happened to me. In traffic on the freeway, tried to accelerate to get over for an exit and POP! Then, tons of white smoke out the back of my 2013. Got it to a mechanic who said the engine in bad shape and I should talk with Hyundai about an oil issue. I looked and found nothing on oil problem for the model and year at the recall web site. It's got about 82K miles on it.

Any way to know if there is an actual known issue with the engine? If not, I will buy another engine but would need help finding a mechanic to install it. Otherwise, the car is useless to me.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts