Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Got rid of my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for a 2020 Hyundai Veloster Spec R Turbo. I was up for 48 hours driving around or doing research trying to figure out the best choice for me to get into. My wife severely injured her back and couldn't hike up into the 6" lifted Jeep anymore, and I was desperate to find something we'd both be happy with.

I tried to first get into a GT86. I found a manual, which was a requirement for me, and ... man. It was slow. Like, my Jeep is really slow, and this was even slower. I liked the RWD, but eh, that's about it. I drove down from Phoenix to Tuscon to see it, and it was a huge waste of time. Went through a huge storm with tornado warnings just to check it out, and it was a bust.

Found this car, and the dealer (Autonation Tempe) was super nice and marked it as sold for me. Didn't even realize it was Black Friday, as I was in a fog from being up for two days. Ended up getting thousands off of it (it was two grand more than the used GT86 that was two years old and had nearly 30k miles on it), was the last one they had other than one N model. Goes like stink, and is something I'd expect to see from Toyota or Honda (if they didn't both forget they have sporty heritage...). I had a co-worker with a gen 1, and it was really plasticy, very narrow and cramped, and as it was a non-turbo model it was very very slow. This feels like the polar opposite, really high quality. Wasn't expecting that from a Hyundai. Really love the yellow stitching, two toned seats, android auto, etc. I've already used a quarter of a tank in gas in the last day as I just want to drive it anywhere and everywhere. I've signed on for a lot of "to do list" errands today... anything to get back into the driver's seat.

Really nice to see a manual-only model of any car. I've looked into a number of jdm cars, and while they have manual options it's literally impossible to find anything that's not an auto or even worse a cvt (barf). I drove to Tuscon for a reason, Toyota doesn't seem to make many GT86's with that drivetrain.

Anywho, long winded intro over. Hope to meet up with some locals, not sure how often that's done around here, but nice to meet you all in advance.

D

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Welcome! Keep in mind some of us original owners love our slow NAV's! The first gen still looks better than the 2nd gen and I'm not saying the 2nd gen is a bad design. Obviously, though, the 2nd gen has some MAJOR improvements in ride and technology. Enjoy your new ride, and again, WELCOME! Great pics, too, btw!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! Keep in mind some of us original owners love our slow NAV's! The first gen still looks better than the 2nd gen and I'm not saying the 2nd gen is a bad design. Obviously, though, the 2nd gen has some MAJOR improvements in ride and technology. Enjoy your new ride, and again, WELCOME! Great pics, too, btw!
I don't think I was making fun of any first geners, I say enjoy what you enjoy. As for speed, I'm well old enough to just enjoy what's fun to drive. I've had fun in slow cars and fast cars alike. Just because a car is faster on the track doesn't mean it's more fun to drive or a good daily. A Toyota AE-86 is slow as heck, but it's a joy to drive. Mini coopers are ugly as sin, but they feel like a go-kart. I've had dozens of cars, and I won't judge anyone here by any means.

That said haha, I do disagree on the first gens looking better. But opinions...everyone has them. I found the rear to be off-putting and feminine looking and from the perspective of the passenger in the back seat, not very comfortable (head hit the roof/glass line).

The reason though I never got into a 1st gen before (co-worker had one, got to check it out every day for lunch) was it felt very cramped inside, especially on the passenger side which I noticed was considerably thinner than the driver's side (the car isn't split evening down the middle... which was weird to me). The interior was also very, very plasticy and cheap. If you like the design, hey, that's great. But let's just say, I put looking at this second gen after the GT-86 for a reason. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be much better than gen 1's quality, nor was I expecting it to make the Toyota look like a cheaply made feature starved car. I was definitely surprised.

Fair or not, Hyundai has a quality perception issue from their past cars in the 90's and early 2000's. I knew Kia had gotten to be a respectable brand, but for some reason I didn't think Hyundai kept up. I got to see a lot of cars in the showroom while I was waiting in line for financing, including the new Kona. I honestly was really impressed, and could see myself daily driving a couple other models outside of the Veloster.

Regardless, thank you for the welcome. It seems a bit dead here, so hoping to meet up with people eventually. Was kinda hoping for cars and coffee days on weekends, and it seems the local boards are all but deserted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts