Veloster Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am now looking for a rack for two bikes, trunk only, trunk/hatch does not need to open when bikes are on, preferably easy to install and working out of the box (I mean, assembly is OK, but I don't want to have to modify it). I don't need bike locking.

Using manufacturers' online fit tools I found:
Saris Bike Porter Trunk 2-Bike (with Hatch Huggers) https://www.saris.com/product/porter-trunk-2 Some people here recommended Bones, but Saris does not recommend it for the Veloster.
Yakima Halfback https://www.yakima.com/halfback (or Fullback https://www.yakima.com/fullback )

Thule and AllenSports do not have trunk racks for the Veloster.

Anyone has recent experience with these racks? Any other manufacturer worth checking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hybrid Solution

For those who don't mind a little modification, I came up with a hybrid solution (after being dissatisfied with the fit finders at Yakima, Saris, etc.). See attached photo.

Shopping via Craigslist postings in the area, I purchased an old Yakima King Joe 2, and then a nearly-new Bell Double-Back. I discovered that I only needed to move the down-tube and pads from the Bell to the Yakima, with relatively little modification to adapt it. The thinner pads of the Bell rest nicely on the small bumper ledge, while the large pads of the Yakima rest against the glass under the spoiler. Lots of buckles, straps, and hooks between the two racks; I used the Bell's smaller hooks for the curved sides of the hatch door. And the mods are minor enough that I can still fold the rack almost-flat for storage.

The straps from the glass hatch hooks do compress the rubber edge that runs above the hatch hinges, but so far I haven't seen permanent damage to it. The only other issue is that those long straps sometimes vibrate on the freeway and seem to slip minutely through the buckles over some period of time, eventually causing the large pads to drift off the back window until I stop and tighten the straps again.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found a hitch mounted bike rack that works really well with our center exhaust. I picked up a Reese Sportwing which is V-shaped and holds the bike why the wheels so there's no center piece that's in the exhaust stream. The rack also breaks down into 3 pieces for easy storage. Bonus, it was around $80 on Amazon. I really like that it holds the bike by the wheel and not the frame as most of those style of bike racks don't work well with full suspension bikes. It's supposed to hold 2 bikes but I haven't tried yet

IMG_1500.JPG IMG_1502.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1503.JPG IMG_1505.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE: After a particularly hot day (90+ degrees) with the car sitting in the sun while we rode the bikes, the small bumper ledge bowed under the weight of the reloaded bikes and the tightened straps. Turns out there's nothing at all under the soft plastic bumper cover / fascia except a narrow plate across the back of the car frame. I'm mulling over whether to try to manufacture a metal support under the top edge of the fascia.

And it turns out it's the short side straps that sometimes vibrate on the freeway. I just tie the other loose strap ends around them to dampen the effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE 2: I was able to use the leftover parts from the two bike racks to fashion a quick support. See attached photo. I included the 2 remaining foam pads to cushion the support against the inside of the fascia, drilled shallow indents into the top of the bumper plate to trap the pipe ends, and attached it to the upper bumper clips with a couple of insulated conduit clamps. My bumper is now unbowed and my hybrid solution complete!

ReinforcementMounted-reduced.jpg

Attachments

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,979 Posts
nice improv!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Saris Bones 2-bike carrier but I had to purchase the hatch huggers. It works really well and doesn’t touch the plastic fin at all. EE82C1DA-F38E-43F9-AEA7-2B76EC482028.jpeg

41 - 48 of 48 Posts