Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to attach a bike rack to their Veloster? I know mine will attach to a normal hatchback/minivan rear end, but the Veloster is a unique shape.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your only chance right now is Yakima. Do a search about it, there is a thread somewhere

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like a trunk rack?

Most strap on trunk racks won't work with the hatch because of the top glass piece. Yakima makes some racks specifically for glass hatchbacks though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Magicman- whats the name of that bike rack? How many bikes can it hold?

Yall think 2 bikes is pushing its limits?

Sent from a celluar device.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, It is a standard allen 2 bike rack. I however did some tweeks to it and Im kind of pushing some safety regulations. It has 2 straps that can hook on to the top glass( this is a no-no but I have noticed no strain or issues due to the stability of the rest of the rack) and one that comes underneath under the truck and can hook to the interior clip section on the inside of the trunk. I puchased an additional 2 straps with hooks and one sided rubber stickons to the metal hook portion to not damage the paint on the sides on the trunk. without the extra side straps the rack is unstable and shifts from left to right, very un-usable and definitely not recommended. But the padding and clips tighten from the lower trunk corners to the center metal posts of the rack and completely stabalize the rack on the trunk. Ive taken 4 trips, once with 2 bikes the rest with single and have had no issues. It is completely secure and shake free besides really minor shakes from standard road conditions. Even with the shakes you can tell the bikes are completely secure. It sounds more complicated than it is. I can have the rack attached and be on the road in less than 15 mins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you can see on the pic where the lower hooks attach to the lower right/left edges of the trunck and once tightened to the rack bars, they stay fully in place and completely stabalize the rack. If you get 2 bungie cords with hooks you run them from the front rim around the bike center bar up to the seat of the bike. This keeps the front wheel from shifting and tightens the bike to the rack entirely menaing no bouncing and no threat of damage to your vehicle from a loose pedal or front wheel hitting your car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone try the Seasucker bike rack yet? I was thinking this would be a good option. I know the price is about $262 but you don't need a roof rack and you don't need a hitch mount. :)

SeaSucker | Talon

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey, I have the bike rack solution. I had a Saris Bones 2 bike rack for my old car. It's gotta be one of the best trunk racks you can buy and it's pretty reasonably priced. It's not reccomended to put the hooks on the glass edge at the top of the hatch. So Saris sells something called Hatch Huggers.

Hatch Huggers: http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...ies/trunk-rack-accessories/hatch-huggers.html

Saris Bones: http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...lypage_images.tpl&product_id=28&category_id=7

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Yakima Little Joe came with hatch straps that look almost exactly like the Hatch Huggers that Boots Ylectric mentioned.

velosteryakima3-view.jpg

Yakima doesn't have an official fit for the Veloster, so I had to play with it and try different anchor points. The set up in the pic is stable. If/when I use it again I'll take the time to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I should have taken a pic from the inside to show how the Hatch Huggers work, but I didn't think about it until just now. Next time I mount the bikes up I will. But I definitely reccomend the Saris Bones with Hatch Huggers as a solid way to transport bikes on your V without messing it up or risking scratching it.

bike rack.JPG bike rack2.JPG

Reactions: gutjosGT3

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should have taken a pic from the inside to show how the Hatch Huggers work, but I didn't think about it until just now. Next time I mount the bikes up I will. But I definitely reccomend the Saris Bones with Hatch Huggers as a solid way to transport bikes on your V without messing it up or risking scratching it.

View attachment 9857 View attachment 9858
If you could take pics of this that would be great since I need to purchase a bike rack for my 29er.
I don't like having to put it in the VT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thought I'd revive this thread and give my experience with the Saris rack I just purchased (thanks a bunch to Boots for the info before buying it!). These pics were from the first time I put it on my VT. Took a while to set it up and get the spacing down (think I got it right), but after tightening everything down it does feel really stable. The whole set up stayed secure during my first drive with the bike on (especially with these horrible NJ roads!) after about a 30 minute drive, got out to check it and all the straps were still tight and no movement.

20130426_195215.jpg
20130426_193712.jpg
20130426_193721.jpg

These are pics of the hatch huggers and how they work on the car. Thread the end of the straps from the inside through the gap between the hatch and the roof. Close the hatch and pull the straps on the outside until the padded bars on the other end rest on the interior gap.
20130426_193838.jpg
20130426_193853.jpg

The bike on the inside rest does sit pretty close to the car, but doesn't actually touch it. Make sure you have some Velcro straps to secure the front tire to the bike frame to prevent it from swinging into the car, as well as the pedals.
20130426_195252.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would have been concerned about the spoiler, but looks all good. Think you could throw a second bike up there and snap a pic or two?

·
Registered
317 Posts

So what exactly do you need to set this. Up. Stairs bones 3 and ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
So what exactly do you need to set this. Up. Stairs bones 3 and ...
All you need is the rack and a pair of hatch huggers, link for them is above in another post. My pictures above show how they work.

I would have been concerned about the spoiler, but looks all good. Think you could throw a second bike up there and snap a pic or two?
I don't have a second bike to take pictures of atm, sorry. Was supposed to pick up a bike for my girlfriend last week but that didn't happen yet

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting a bike rack and from what I seen the saris bike rack seems to be the best option if I dont want to install a hitch. With the saris bike rack I am also concerned it wont be able to have 2 bikes on the rack or will it

1 - 20 of 48 Posts