Veloster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody! Once again it's me with a noob question 馃檪 what is my best option for making the exhaust a little beefier with some pops and burbles, but with 0 drone and I don't want anything too crazy either. Downpipe? Does it throw CEL? Which one is the best? Borla S type muffler? Magnaflow cat back? Muffler delete? A few hp is a big plus of course.
I am not ready to go with an ECU tune, instead I am planning to get afe enclosed cai and either their scorcher or a racechip. This should complete my list of mods. Well maybe will change spark plugs later as well.
I am sorry for asking a bunch of questions, but I'm really new in hyundai business and I hate to drive stock cars 馃槃
PS Liking the fact that our cars are uncommon and somewhat rare, but at the same time there is only so much info about them. I am glad I found this forum, wish it was a little more active 馃槈

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about a magnaflow catback as soon as I get my tune. Then a sixth element short air intake (https://www.sxthelement.com/ES-2VT-Short-Ram-Intake-p/09-01-101.htm). I just ordered the "N" Spoiler Wing for my 19, super excited about putting that on asap...
Hey man, thanks for your input. I think I will go with an axle back, if anything. It's gonna be my wife's daily driver and I don't want it to be much louder than stock, especially scared of any drone, which I hate 馃檪 There is only a couple of options out there as of now, and I was thinking about the Borla S, which is a little expensive in my opinion - $600.. and I just contacted borla requesting a sound/video clip, but they don't have any. So I guess I am gonna stick to my oem exhaust for now.
PS already ordered afe cai and their scorcher gt tuner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have experience with fitting a universal muffler such this one (pic attached)? A did a quick measure of the distance between the inlet pipe of the stock muffler and the end of dual outlet tips, and it looks like length wise this 19" borla muffler should fit propery. Considering it's price, plus a $100 labor at a local shop and another $50-60 for some tips puts it under $300 in total, which is twice cheaper than the borla axle back, which is specifically made for our cars. The main question is if it's going to sound as good. Any thoughts on this?
PS I guess I will have to think about some muffler hangers as well..

Attachments

Registered
The resonator, or mid-line muffler is going to kill most of your pops. If you just want a more aggressive sound, I'd try having that removed first, before you do an axle-back. Since the process is basically cutting it out and replacing it with a section of straight pipe, the cost should be minimal at any competent exhaust shop.

Registered
Well, I did the muffler delete today and let me tell you it is pretty loud. I'll have to get it out on the highway to see if it is livable there.

I just unbolted everything from the flange back so I can easily reinstall.

Plenty of pops left...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did the muffler delete today and let me tell you it is pretty loud. I'll have to get it out on the highway to see if it is livable there.

Plenty of pops left...
Appreciate your video mate! Please let me know if it's really loud in the cabin and if there is any drone at all while cruising or driving on the highway. Did you get a custom axle back pipe? Sxth has one for around $350-400.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Plenty of pops left...
Bet you enjoying that BMW a bit more than the veloster? 馃檪

Registered
Bet you enjoying that BMW a bit more than the veloster? 馃檪
Nah, that's "just" a 2003 330i (E46 - automatic) that I bought for the sons. Got it for a song and had to do some work on it. I tracked it some last year, but I'm more afraid of blowing it up than the Hyundai, so it will only do a little autocross with the boys driving. I'm hoping that the sons will turn into car guys.

View attachment 124412 View attachment 124416

I bought the Veloster specifically for autocross and track days. FWIW, the top speed of both down the main straight at Putnum Park was almost exactly the same (105mph). Totally different driving experience though one being RWD and the other FWD.

2019-06-03.jpg

I'm having so much fun that I'm ready to trade the R-spec in for the N but that will put me in a new class in autocross. What I really need is the R-spec for autocross and the N for track days. Wife won't let me have four cars.

Registered
Appreciate your video mate! Please let me know if it's really loud in the cabin and if there is any drone at all while cruising or driving on the highway. Did you get a custom axle back pipe? Sxth has one for around $350-400.
I bought the dual tips shown above and the guys at the local muffler shop removed the stock "everything" from the flange back intact. They put a new flange on and then welded a short bit of pipe from the flange to the tips. They charged me $150.

I could have bought the one from Tork Motorsports for $260 as well.

Registered
Stopped by a local Custom Muffler shop today - they said they'd do the muffler delete for $90 and use my old tips.

Place has really good reviews and a lot of them, but anything I should be worried about? Seems like a great price...

Registered
My guy quoted me $100 if I let them cut the pipe just before my muffler. I said I wanted it "non-destructive". Meaning he create a pipe with a flange that is bolted on where the current one is. I can un-do two hangers and two bolts and put my muffler back on if I want.

Registered
Okay, so the muffler delete was too much. Too loud, too much drone.

So I bought the Borla Axle-Back S-Type exhaust. Here it is.

I think it is a big improvement over stock and much better to live with.

There are still some good pops when you come out of the gas quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Crispy
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing