Veloster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 2016 veloster base models. both have a build date of 2015 and are low mileage, one at 22k and the other at 38k. neither gets much use. one had not been started or run since september 2021 and the other gets used maybe a mile at best couple or 3 times a week for the most part. having a cold snap lately and on monday of this week i found both cars with dead batteries. i charged them up and every day after would start and let them run for an hour. today one was dead again and the other started ok when i went to give them the daily exercise. should i just buy new batteries for both and run them frequently at least during this cold weather?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
most likely should replace them... the dealer was cheapest for me. run them every few days.

Reactions: bearbird and oni888

·
Administrator
4,593 Posts
You might look into getting a battery tender or two. They are a hellalot cheaper than batteries and keep them in great condition without having to start the car every so often. While you are looking for one, you might consider getting some Sta-bil Fuel stabilizer. Your gas tank, fuel line, pump and injectors will love you for this if you don't drive the cars much. Also if I were you, I would heat your cars up to operating temperature,and then drive it like you stole it. Get those cats cleaned out. They are probably loaded up with carbon from sitting there idling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might look into getting a battery tender or two. They are a hellalot cheaper than batteries and keep them in great condition without having to start the car every so often. While you are looking for one, you might consider getting some Sta-bil Fuel stabilizer. Your gas tank, fuel line, pump and injectors will love you for this if you don't drive the cars much. Also if I were you, I would heat your cars up to operating temperature,and then drive it like you stole it. Get those cats cleaned out. They are probably loaded up with carbon from sitting there idling.
thought about that but cars are in a back parking lot with no power available. i run a long ext cord out of the house to use a charger that i originally bought for the lawn tractor but sure comes in handy.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
1,039 Posts
thought about that but cars are in a back parking lot with no power available. i run a long ext cord out of the house to use a charger that i originally bought for the lawn tractor but sure comes in handy.
Just disconnect the batteries on the negative side and they'll last for months.
As a truck driver staying out for 4-8 weeks at a time I disconnect the batteries on my car and motorcycles and have never had an issue with starting.

Like @nvyseal mentioned if you're not using pure gas and using ethanol based gas get some fuel stabilizer. Seafoam is a good one to use and keeps the injectors clean too.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
1,039 Posts
not using a car is as bad as overuse/abuse
If a car is not used much but kept in an enclosed environment like a garage or for me a storage facility where the weather and sun can't harm the car from sitting all the time then it'll be fine.

They do have ramps designed to keep the tires from getting flat spots for being parked for so long and work well for their intended use.
I have a set I use every time I hit the road.

Also as @nvyseal mentioned the car needs to be warmed up properly and then run on the highway for about 30 minutes to burn off moisture in the oil etc and to rev it out as well to keep everything working properly.

Just idling it for a few minutes every couple of months is damaging to the car as is a drive around the block with no real work for the car to stay in too shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts