Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 14 VT keeps going dead and idk why nothing is staying on headlights are off and eveything. When I load test the battery it shows fine. But after it sits for an hour or two the voltage drops to 6v. Iv made sure eveything if off.
after putting a meter inline with the pos terminal it show 30MA draw. Which makes no sense why it would die in an hour or two. Especially after a load tester was put on it and it passed with flying colors. Also after jumping the voltage is 14.5 so the charging system is working fine. Any idea would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
an update
So I noticed randomly when I get out of the car and make sure all doors a shut the domes lights stay on. And after about 30seconds begin to get dim. And after I noticed that eveything in that car was dim and the dash said “fuse on” in the center. And could not crank. Still have no clue what is causing this

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
"Fuse on" I believe is a switch on the fuse panel that the dealer turns ON when delivered. Look to see if it is fully switched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the battery is like 4 years old. and tests perfectly on the old fashioned load tester. that is the type with a coil of wire inside that heats up. and yes the fuse on is fully switched.
i have noticed once and a while the domes lights will not turn off. like once in every 4 starts. ass inn start the car idle for a min then get out. not sure why this is.

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
Yeah, I would probably replace the battery and go from there, or have another test done on it with something along these testers usually found at dealers, more common these days. (No offense.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a buddy that works at a vw dealer i ca probably get it tested on their machine. i hope its the battery but with my luck its something in the car draining it

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
From personal experience, I remove the black plastic covers over the positive terminal, couple zip ties and clips holding it. Clamps better, also seen corrosion without use of the felt washers on terminals. Always better to test a battery "out of vehicle". just some tips, but the new testers test everything, so do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i have kept up with the cleaning of the terminals always cleaning them and using dielectric grease.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yep, it's your battery.
And the dome light goes off in just that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my 14 VT keeps going dead and idk why nothing is staying on headlights are off and eveything. When I load test the battery it shows fine. But after it sits for an hour or two the voltage drops to 6v. Iv made sure eveything if off.
after putting a meter inline with the pos terminal it show 30MA draw. Which makes no sense why it would die in an hour or two. Especially after a load tester was put on it and it passed with flying colors. Also after jumping the voltage is 14.5 so the charging system is working fine. Any idea would be much appreciated.
I

·
Registered
2 Posts
had a similar problem with my battery draining overnight and dying. It turned out to be a faulty rear hatch actuator that shorted and kept drawing the battery. The actuator was covered by Hyundai thankfully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had a similar problem with my battery draining overnight and dying. It turned out to be a faulty rear hatch actuator that shorted and kept drawing the battery. The actuator was covered by Hyundai thankfully.
I’m wondering if this is what is happening with my 2016... put a charge on it again yesterday (replaced the battery already) and noticed that the trunk lock was switching on and off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts