Veloster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had car 1 month, car sat for 3 days, battery completely dead, wont jump start. I'm a technician for 30 years. So, i began checking the electrical system. 1. battery voltage was about 2volts, 2. tried charging and would not charge until i removed the negative cable from the battery. 3. charged battery, checked voltage 12.6 volts now ok, 4. observed the rear view mirror lights are staying on and never going off even when car is off and locked. So, if battery is draining, then this means there is a load on the battery when the car is off, of coarse there should not be. i used my Fluke DMM, meter, to install it in series with the negative side of the battery, which allows me to measure any current load on the battery, with car off and no accessories on, this reading should be minimal, .2 amps or less. My amperage draw was reading 1.45amps to 1.6 amps, this is not good and will kill the battery. Now i proceeded to locate the fuse panel inside the car, and i started to remove fuses one by one, and looking each time at my Fluke meter reading to see if i had a change. When i removed the multimedia system fuse, i saw a major drop in amperage readings go from 1.45amps to .40 amps. At this point i still have the rear view mirror staying on, but i have found my major issue. Now, i call and make an appointment at local dealership, and i took car in with all my readings from my troubleshooting. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon. The dealership technician used my information provided, with the fact that the rear view mirror, never went off, and he proceeded to find the factory made a mistake when wiring the fuse panel. he corrected this problem and now the rear view mirror lights go off as they should. Now we will wait and see if i have anymore problems. i will update if i see anymore issues. I hope this will help anyone with similar problems.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I might suggest taking the current reading again to ensure you are not having the large ~1A leak anymore. You don't wanna get yourself stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Veloster and have had the battery replaced. And it seems like everytime after I get gas my car battery is dead the next morning. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a 2016 Veloster and have had the battery replaced. And it seems like everytime after I get gas my car battery is dead the next morning. Any thoughts?
Well, it's obvious! Stop buying gas!

Secondly, welcome! I can't think of any correlation between refueling and battery drain. Obviously you recharge after it dies and it runs fine until the next fill up. The only action that happens is that you have to release the fuel lid before refilling. I wonder if the trip wire is somehow crossed with your battery ground or something.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic and know practically nothing about cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts