Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have done 2 sets of headlights for the VT and they werent as bad as you might think. Sure they are big and you cant actually "bake" them because not everyone has an industrial size oven in their home so the best method is to use a heat gun. I'll link a couple vids that helped me get these monsters apart and back together PROPERLY (thats the hard part) As well as advice on the LEDs like what to buy and what to not waste money on. here goes nothing.

To remove headlights:

To open headlights and install LEDs: These are long but worth a look.

I cheat I know lol. As for the custom LEDs. I wouldnt buy them from anyone but exLED, I dont work for them or anything but I trust them to get me the right stuff and its very good quality. That being said, here's what I recommend buying for these lights:

2011~ Hyundai Veloster exLED LED Headlight Set 2011~ Hyundai Veloster exLED LED Headlight Set

Item No. : 91021

Price: around $220.00 for the color changing (white to amber) LEDs

Eyeline: (the light going across the bottom of your headlight) Normal (NAV) Type (#7904) (+$38.00) -or- Turbo Type (#9002) (+$39.00)

Load Balancing Resistor: without (You can get better ones from Amazon)

Circle Eye: (the light around your headlight projector, turbo only) With (#7887) (+$28.00).

Add-On Circle Eye: (an extra light for around your projector, turbo only): With (#7889) (+$57.00).

Reflector LED: (top amber reflector/turn signal) Without, because unless you have the clear corners the color doesnt matter and I would just black this whole thing out anyways.

Turn Signal: (lower turn signal near center of car) Clear Reflector Kit (#9966) (+$75.00) the other option here is the panel type and its basically just a white plexiglass panel that the LEDs project onto, crap IMO.

Devil Eye: (supposed to light up the projector housing but it doesnt do a damn thing) Without
White color for the LEDs: White 6,000K (white) White 7,000K (blueish)

Heres a pic of my lights with decriptions of the LEDs:

Well here are the results from both of my sets of lights. the first set I went with black Plasti-dip and the full color change LED upgrade with the panel type turn signal:

And the new lights with Custom LEDs and green paint scheme. I used black plasti-dip and green engine enamel:

A couple tips:

* Run the heat gun on the seams for a FULL 10 MINUTES before you even try to pull them apart, boring I know but the stress of trying to pull them apart while the glue is still hard is much worse. After you finish putting them back together run the heat gun on them for another FULL 10 MIN to get that glue to melt and seal up that seam. You dont need any extra glue or products to seal up that seam.

* Leave ample drying time for your plasti-dip. otherwise you will have a reaction from the fumes on the inside of your lense. it will turn foggy and the only way to remedy that is to pull them apart again.

* If you have condensation inside your headlight after the install DON'T FREAK OUT!!! Before you get all geared up to bust them open try this first. Pull the bulb covers off the back of the headlight, remove the turn signal bulb covers, basically open up the headlights as much as possible to let fresh air in. Turn on your headlights for 10-15 min to heat the insides up really well. that heat will push out all the moisture. Put them back together and run a hose over the lense to see if you still have moisture in them. If so, then the sealant didnt go back together properly. This doesnt mean you have to pull them apart again. I would run the heat gun over the seam for another 10 min to get the glue to melt into the right places.

Im sure more will come to me but these are the most important ones so far. Please feel free to ask any questions. Im here to help.

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Great writeup Stickied!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
excellent DYI man. gotta love videos.

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Yeah, agree Dave. This sucker is gonna b hard to beat for Jay this month, lol.
If i had some cash to spare i would try dis myself, but don't even own a heat gun and don't feel like exp fir the 1st time w a $700+ light :( (envy ur skills Tmatte)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you replace all the leds then one tpc module is required. It tells the leds to blink when the blinker is turned on. I had to call and email exled to get them to build these specific colors. Note that the green doesn't change to Amber when the blinker is turned on but it does blink with the turn signals. They said they can build them in any color they have on their website except the rgb color change ones. I tried to get them to build me a set of those but no luck.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a heads up I didn't let my paint dry long enough before putting the lights back together. Im getting some reaction on the inside of my lense. nothing that wont just wipe out but I have to take them apart to clean them. So another tip... ALLOW AMPLE DRYING TIME FOR THE PAINT!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just a heads up I didn't let my paint dry long enough before putting the lights back together. Im getting some reaction on the inside of my lense. nothing that wont just wipe out but I have to take them apart to clean them. So another tip... ALLOW AMPLE DRYING TIME FOR THE PAINT!!!
Yeah I think I ended up with the same reaction when I did mine. It seems like the glossifier of plasti dip is far less heat resistant than the actual dip.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi is the tpc module required or not? Plus ima noob can u explain what tye TpC module is and its functions?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Question, the reflector LED now, i see many people have theirs as white or as in ur picture, green. is the stock amber plastics removable? If so, how to remove this? I want mine to be clear so i can order a set of blue LEDs for that part. Anything will help thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Question, the reflector LED now, i see many people have theirs as white or as in ur picture, green. is the stock amber plastics removable? If so, how to remove this? I want mine to be clear so i can order a set of blue LEDs for that part. Anything will help thanks
Once you have the headlight baked and opened, that reflector is just clipped onto some mirror-like piece. So take out a few screws and then pop it out.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jc is right however... you can not just replace the Amber portion of the light because that part is not sold separately. I worked around that tho. I went to home depot and bought a lexan overhead lighting panel. Hatred it up and cut it to shape. It's not perfect but at least it's clear and looks somewhat like a reflector.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a couple paint tips. Make sure you scuff the chrome in there. Personally I took it right down to bare plastic with 1500 grit paper. Then I used a primer that's made for plastic, like Krylon fusion. Not every little nook and cranny can get sanded that far down especially on the projector housing but at least try to scuff it up. for mine I painted the entire housing green first then taped off the parts I wanted to stay green with tape specific for freshly painted surfaces, you can get this at any auto body supply place. Then painted the rest black. the other option I have seen is painting the entire thing black then using a vinyl or pin stripe to create the color stripe. Hope this helps and if you have done any of this post up some pics and tips!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts