Veloster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Does any one know why my velosters back tires would both go bald at the same time, and not my front tires? Obviously you know im FWD, so thats where im stuck! Im getting new tires tomorrow finally! But we dont under why my drive tires didnt go first? Is it just a common thing with velosters? Or do you think i have a problem in my rear end?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
need more info.... like what is your mileage, are the tires original, have you checked their psi, etc.

Reactions: absoluteyeti

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
511 Posts
Do all 4 tires match (model/brand)? And the stuff @RPW00Mirage said

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant get pictures right now as hubby has it at work, but ive got 111xxxkm on it, im not sure if they are original tires, as i got it from a used car lot. They were pretty new when i got it! All seasons, did go through the winter with it, psi is fine! And all 4 tires are same brand, size etc. Its just the two back ones wearing out sooo much faster!

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
511 Posts
When the car is accessible again take a well lit picture from directly behind the wheel to show as much of the tread width. It might not be a bad idea to take it in for an alignment check.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With 111,000 km they are certainly not original. I have about the same (65,000 miles) and I am on my third set.

The only reason I can think of for the rear tires wearing faster is bad alignment. That's why absoluteyeti and SVfocus03 want to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Naw, alignment is not a problem.

You simply bought a used car where the tires had been changed and the good ones were installed on the front and the worn ones were installed on the rear.

When you bought the car it may have appeared the tires were all in good condition, but without actually measuring the tread depth your just assuming something that turned out to be untrue.

So now you are assuming another "pie in the sky" theory.

Buy 4 new tires, start from a known baseline and proceed from there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It may be due to front brakes not squeezing hard enough so you press harder and it puts more on the rear probably = to the front. So a more = wear. Rather than the 70F/30R percent your getting 50/50%. Physics causes weight load to transfer to the front pushing down and causing more traction and thus wear on the front. If say front tires are getting full brake pressure but tires aren't gripping cuz they are different quality etc from the rear then the rear get better grip and thus wear more.

Cheap or low quality pads on the front maybe? Or tires that are less grippy?

Tire shop put better or pair of new tires on front instead of the back?

Pile of rocks in the trunk?

·
Registered
183 Posts
FF drivetrains eat front tires and barely wear rears.

Front right tire will wear faster than front left in most FF cars. This is why the cross-rotation is a thing.

Don't get suckered into buying different brand tires front and rear. Find a tire that works and stick with it on both ends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts