Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not finding anything about Victoria specifically, but in Queensland and SA you can only have under car lighting and other external light displays if the vehicle is stationary. I got pinged for a set of 'KITT' lights on the front of my Rodeo up in Queensland, as well as various led's I'd fitted, for using them in motion. They said I was 'impersonating an emergency vehicle' (good job I wasn't using the blue strobe on a magnetic base I had, they'd have really been upset)

Rules here in SA are the same, confirmed by a police officer I know down at Victor - it's fine to hang out with your ricer mates in the KFC carpark, neon's flaring and sound system thrashing away... put those wheels on the road with the lights still on and he'll have you defected shortly after.

I'll ask him if he can verify what the rules are in Victoria, but I'd think probably the same, stationary only.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm not finding anything about Victoria specifically, but in Queensland and SA you can only have under car lighting and other external light displays if the vehicle is stationary. I got pinged for a set of 'KITT' lights on the front of my Rodeo up in Queensland, as well as various led's I'd fitted, for using them in motion. They said I was 'impersonating an emergency vehicle' (good job I wasn't using the blue strobe on a magnetic base I had, they'd have really been upset)

Rules here in SA are the same, confirmed by a police officer I know down at Victor - it's fine to hang out with your ricer mates in the KFC carpark, neon's flaring and sound system thrashing away... put those wheels on the road with the lights still on and he'll have you defected shortly after.

I'll ask him if he can verify what the rules are in Victoria, but I'd think probably the same, stationary only.
Can you define "ricer"? It is derogatory and demeaning even if you don't mean to be either. Can you stop using that word? If you mean "Asian, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese" then please use those words.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In car circles, a 'ricer' is a 'fast four' cylinder, generally Japanese imported car, with some ultra low profile rubber on over the top mags, a straight through screamer exhaust, body kit, and at least have a dozen manufacturer stickers all down the front guard or possibly door for all the mods that have been added. It should sound somewhat similar to a Honda works car when accelerating, combined with enough bass from the stereo to set dogs barking, and car alarms going off in undercover car parks.

'Ricer' can be derogatory for the 'fast four and rotary' brigade, but it's definitely not intended to be a racial slur. I am, through my past, one of the least likely people to be saying anything discriminating about peoples nationality, sexual preferences, or religious choices. "Ricer" is a recognised stereotype in the Australian bogan/hoon dictionary... well, if they HAD a dictionary... :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
"You might be a ricer if..." <-- Absolute classic: You Might Be A Ricer If

You Might Be A Ricer If…
  • You have more exhaust decibels than your engine has horsepower.
  • You have aftermarket FRONT wheels for racing but stock rear wheels.
  • Your engine makes twice as much horsepower as torque.
  • 17" rims up front, 13" out back on your FWD.
  • You ever painted your wheels to match the same color of your car.
  • You put your automatic car in neutral at every stoplight in order to roll it back and try to fool other people into thinking you have a manual transmission
  • DuPont gave up trying to figure out the shade you were asking for.
  • Your mod list includes stereo equipment, shifter handle, MOMO steering wheel, PIA driving lights, exhaust tip, but no REAL engine parts.
  • A chameleon lizard undergoes fewer shade changes than your custom paint scheme.
  • Your rims and tires are so large, that you have to install the tire / wheel from underneath the car because it simply won't fit in the wheel well going in from the side.
  • The dealer laughs when you bring your car back in for service under warranty, and you've only had it 6 months...
  • Your tires / rims stick out from the lip of your car by more than 1."
  • Your paint job is from the WRONG end of the color spectrum.
  • You installed spacers on your STOCK wheels and tires to get them to stick out past the fender.
  • You see cars like yours in a Shriner's Parade for Children and clowns are driving them.
  • You bring an empty Maxwell House coffee can with you to compare size when you shop for an aftermarket exhaust system.
  • Your Eclipse GS-T hardtop has a "SPYDER" emblem on the rear...
  • Your sum knowledge of suspension is: "the more negative camber, the better the handling."
  • You push your car through the staging lanes. That way, maybe you can break into the 16s by keeping the motor cool between runs.
  • You add a super tall rear wing, and a hundred pounds of aftermarket ground effects, neon and stereo yet you gut the interior and yank out the rear seat for weight savings.
(Lots more on the website: You Might Be A Ricer If )

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Thanks guys, lets get back on topic :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
OK, back on topic, see point 14 (right at the bottom of this PDF)
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

There's one they could ping you with, for underbody lighting:

Rule 118 (2) of the Standards for Registration (Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009) states that a vehicle must not be fitted with a light or reflector not mentioned in the Vehicle Standards without the written approval of VicRoads

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, back on topic, see point 14 (right at the bottom of this PDF)
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

There's one they could ping you with, for underbody lighting:

Rule 118 (2) of the Standards for Registration (Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009) states that a vehicle must not be fitted with a light or reflector not mentioned in the Vehicle Standards without the written approval of VicRoads
thanks of your findings :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
These are the vehicle standards rules relevant to SA (for those interested): http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/rtsr1999308/

Part 8 (sections 74-124) deals with lighting. Section 118 states "A vehicle may be fitted with a light or reflector not mentioned in the Vehicle Standards only if another law of this jurisdiction allows that light or reflector to be fitted." Which basically means you can only fit lighting specifically mentioned in the standards OR specifically allowed by state law.

This would technically mean that a car with non conforming lighting cannot be driven on the road regardless of whether they are on or off. If you got a cop thats a real prick they could defect you regardless of if the neons were on or off at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you define "ricer"? It is derogatory and demeaning even if you don't mean to be either. Can you stop using that word? If you mean "Asian, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese" then please use those words.
A 'ricer' has absolutely nothing to do with Asians. A ricer is typically a title for those who are all show but no go (basicly stance cars) but pretend like they are faster with really (and I mean really) cheap mods that they find on ebay or amazon. So before u comment give it a small resurch before commenting.. Have a nice day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts