Veloster Forum banner

Any advice for an owner of a 2016 Veloster Turbo w/DCT that says "Oil is delicious"

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ironicus 
#1 ·
I'm taking my 2016 Veloster Turbo w/DCT into the dealership tomorrow afternoon. Currently, 128,000 miles on it and it is burning oil like it is going out of style. I always do the oil changes myself with Mobil 1 Extended Performance Engine Oil High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 and I use a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter.
I change the oil and the oil filter approximately every 5,000 miles. Yes, I realize I could wait to change the oil until 7,500 miles (Mobil 1 guaranteed protection up to 20,000 miles or 1 year between changes for both the oil and the extended performance filter)
I change the spark plugs every 20k-30k miles. Replaced the serpentine belt under 10k miles ago

I feel like the engine should not be burning through oil, certainly not as quickly as over a quart every 1,000 miles.

I'm seeking advice from anyone who has successfully navigated getting Hyundai to replace their engine. I'm concerned that they aren't going to openly admit the engine is flawed and put a new one in it without some push-back. I am basing that concern on the research I have done regarding the many (oh so many) issues I myself and so many others have experienced with the DCT and Hyundai's lack of response to remedy its functionality.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
not sure mobil 1 oil and filter are doing you any favors. oem filter is best and a better oil like pennzoil ultra platinum synthetic. also 3k oil changes.

what plugs are you using? make and part number.

are you sure it is burning? another common problem is oil seep/leak from the oil cooler upper gasket.

#3 ·
Got the diagnosis back from the dealership...

"Good Afternoon, We inspected your vehicle and found excessive cylinder wall scoring due to worn out piston rings. Once the rings wear out, they score the walls of the cylinders and that causes the excessive oil usage. The only real fix for this problem is to replace the engine on the vehicle."

The scoring is found on the walls of all 4 cylinders.
Hyundai is not willing to cover any of the cost of an engine replacement.

The service rep at the dealership admitted that it is not "normal" for an engine to be shot after 128,000 miles, and says it isn't Hyundai's responsibility to cover it. This is true, I am over the 100,000-mile warranty.
I really love this car, but can't justify putting $9,000 into an engine replacement for an engine that will likely be shot after 130,000 miles.

I'm curious if I choose to have the engine rebuilt if I will be able to bore out the cylinders to a larger diameter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.