Veloster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
i would have to agree. i am really digging the nest. as a systems admin / it director, i have little to no desire to get invested in a raspberry pi lol.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There are a lot of things on the market that I find silly. The things companies sell to make a smart home are neat, but there isn't anything as robust and can be scaled as well as a raspberry pi. Sure, amazon Echo is neat, nest is neat, all the remote control plugs are neat, but unless you're purchasing a home security system from ADT or the like (which is just silly), you're not going to be able to beat what a RasPi can do to build a smart home. Granted, you need to be a little techy, but there are tons of write-ups on how to make smart home sensors.
Amazon reveals how to build an Echo speaker with the Raspberry Pi | The Verge

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
couldnt read it, the site bitched about my ad blocker.
I have ad blocker (not ad blocker plus) and was able to read the article. And then I read your response. I clicked on the link and sure enough got the ad blocker "lecture".

That said, I have to turn ad blocker off occasionally and it's really no big deal. Go to extensions and check or uncheck "enable.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I was looking at other Echo connected devices todayj in Amazon and ran across a car diagnostics tool: Automatic https://www.automatic.com/home/

I thought of Zach immediately and then RPW since this works with NEST. It works with iPhone or Android phones. I probably will get this and try since it's on sale and I have Amazon points just waiting to be used! It's currently only $79.99 rather than $99.95. This a gen 2 product.

What do you think?

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
looks decent. ive got an ultragauge plugged in at all times so this would not work out for me. with my extra curricular activities any vestige of good gas mileage has gone out the window, lol

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You can also buy adapters that go into older sound systems that have audio in connections and stream with Dot. I was going to do that until my old Sony receiver decided to die immediately followed by the turn table! So I may get a new receiver (and/or another turntable) because the music that I have access to on Echo would sound much better coming out Bose speakers instead. Not that the sound is all that horrible for what it is to begin with, just saying. And now that the cost of Dot is half what it was......

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got that new receiver today. Can still play all those tapes and CD's but so far I've only been streaming music and it sounds great. I got the Yamaha R-S202 (very inexpensive). I'm guessing the little trick or treaters are going to hear some good music tonight!

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The funny thing is that when I play this my own Echo device hears the trigger name "Alexa" and responds! I have to remember to either turn down the sound or listen with earplugs. But it was okay to get the weather update for Fort Lauderdale anyway.. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
^^ saw that this morning. so funny!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Since I bought the Echo many, many "skills' have been added, and, they recently hit the 10,000 mark! Not too big when you compare it to apps, but considering this is a voice controlled device with no display, it's actually pretty impressive! For example, if I can't find my phone I can ask Alexa to make it ring.

But what really made me happy today was when what I wanted from the very beginning was made possible: the ability to pair the Echo device with your stereo receiver! Those little Bose speakers definitely sound so much nicer...:D

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Happy After Amazon Prime Day! And, yes, I bought a DOT, the single best selling item that day! Did anyone else get one?

At any rate, it arrived yesterday and I immediately started tearing up the audio side of the house! I replaced my old 1980's Sony shelf system with something the size of a hockey puck! Didn't sound all that great but that was a lot of space! AND, I reused the Sony speakers in my "media room" and they sound better than they ever did in the bathroom! WIN WIN

BUT, while I might have installed something with less sound, it plays MORE sounds via bluetooth, etc. And, it's my bathroom so I'm not expecting concert quality music. What I do enjoy is that I can set it to play ambient noises to put me to sleep (it works) and I can set an alarm (that I love to listen to!).

I ordered it on Prime Day via my Echo in order to get another $10 off the $15 discount (which put it at 50% off).

Anyone using Google Home or anything else?

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
i dont have any "digital assistants" because i'm an IT person and i'm paranoid, however we have a fan/light/bluetooth speaker fixture in our bathroom. works awesome.

05174047a4faba893498855f67a7e61bae0ab9-wm.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmm at least the Amazon Echo works better than a Toyota Echo...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
9 Participants
MANT!
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing