Veloster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
LOL -- yes, I think Alexa is having some issues. This morning I asked her to play one of the local radio stations and she just kept responding that something wasn't right. So, I went online to use the app and sure enough, I-Tunes, IHeart, etc., where not functioning either. So, I turned on a radio. That's the first time I've experienced any trouble and it was all working fine an hour later. I'm just glad I wasn't waiting for an alarm to go off that might not have!
Lol, my Cortana today told me that she and the internet weren't talking right now.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I didn't "OK, Google!" anything today -- that one's been the most hit or miss. But it has been working better lately. As the AI interfaces grow it's going to be more difficult to remember all their names or phrases they want. Voice recognition refinements hopefully will take care of that.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's new and still be developed but it's nicer than having to dig out the cell phone when you can just speak to it and get an immediate answer. It's great when cooking and you need to set multiple timers, check measurements, etc. When I was the car I can ask it to change whatever music is I've requested and ask it to pause, play louder or quieter, etc. There are word games you can play with it, and, if you want you can do all this thru and phone app without saying anything. Like most new things, Veloster included, it wasn't perfect on rollout. But if you read the article about the CES you can see the Alexa technology is being integrated into more and more devices.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It's new and still be developed but it's nicer than having to dig out the cell phone when you can just speak to it and get an immediate answer. It's great when cooking and you need to set multiple timers, check measurements, etc. When I was the car I can ask it to change whatever music is I've requested and ask it to pause, play louder or quieter, etc. There are word games you can play with it, and, if you want you can do all this thru and phone app without saying anything. Like most new things, Veloster included, it wasn't perfect on rollout. But if you read the article about the CES you can see the Alexa technology is being integrated into more and more devices.
So my original assumption of people just being lazy was correct. I get that voice commands may make your life easier, but most everything I own made in 2013 or newer has almost the exact same functionality or an app for control. Different strokes, but to me, this would just be a paperweight. I see this as more of a novelty at this point.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The newest "Internet of Things - IT products" are all in their awkward age, if they have even reached that. The Nest thermostat had a major melt down today. Google had sent an update recently which caused batteries to drain and the thermostats to stop functioning. As an IT device, this of course was something you could view with an smart phone app, and suddenly many people far from home realized there was no heat or a/c running.

Empty Nest: Glitch Disables Smart Thermostats Nationwide - NBC News

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
The newest "Internet of Things - IT products" are all in their awkward age, if they have even reached that. The Nest thermostat had a major melt down today. Google had sent an update recently which caused batteries to drain and the thermostats to stop functioning. As an IT device, this of course was something you could view with an smart phone app, and suddenly many people far from home realized there was no heat or a/c running.

Empty Nest: Glitch Disables Smart Thermostats Nationwide - NBC News
ugh that sucks. i love those things! but by the time i get a home (in a year or so) there will most likely be something better out there. i think GE also makes a less flashy smart thermostat.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ugh that sucks. i love those things! but by the time i get a home (in a year or so) there will most likely be something better out there. i think GE also makes a less flashy smart thermostat.
Yes, GE just sold off it's appliances segment which is unimaginable and is moving from Connecticut to Boston, Mass, to focus more on technology. They want those young folks coming out of MIT. However, Nest, which has a brand that leads in this area will continue to shine as this kind of situation probably will never happen again! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can't think of any reason for that, especially if you already have something like Echo or, you know, any smart phone ever. A product like that seems silly to me.
I agree. It's not anything that I'll be looking to try out -- just sharing it in case someone else might find a use for it. One man's trash is another man's treasure!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I agree. It's not anything that I'll be looking to try out -- just sharing it in case someone else might find a use for it. One man's trash is another man's treasure!
There are a lot of things on the market that I find silly. The things companies sell to make a smart home are neat, but there isn't anything as robust and can be scaled as well as a raspberry pi. Sure, amazon Echo is neat, nest is neat, all the remote control plugs are neat, but unless you're purchasing a home security system from ADT or the like (which is just silly), you're not going to be able to beat what a RasPi can do to build a smart home. Granted, you need to be a little techy, but there are tons of write-ups on how to make smart home sensors.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There are a lot of things on the market that I find silly. The things companies sell to make a smart home are neat, but there isn't anything as robust and can be scaled as well as a raspberry pi. Sure, amazon Echo is neat, nest is neat, all the remote control plugs are neat, but unless you're purchasing a home security system from ADT or the like (which is just silly), you're not going to be able to beat what a RasPi can do to build a smart home. Granted, you need to be a little techy, but there are tons of write-ups on how to make smart home sensors.
Again, it depends on need first. You have found what works for you. Raspberry pi is a niche market.

For those who aren't familiar this might bring you up to speed:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/raspberry-pi-disruptive-force-computer-market-dr-avtar-sehra

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
9 Participants
MANT!
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing