Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Amazon Echo today. It's somewhere between back to the future and improving upon the past. I like it. Sound is better than expected (though, I wouldn't mind a subwoofer). Alexa could not tell me anything about the Veloster until I said Wikipedia Veloster and then I got a response. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Hmm interesting I hadn't heard of it until I just googled it. I don't have a need for something like haha, reading about it for 30 seconds makes me think of Iron Man and Jarvis :)

Glad you like it though, is it able to really pick up your voice across the room without shouting?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can speak in a normal voice. I have noticed that I do need to raise my voice if the music is on the loud side -- makes sense. And there is a remote you can speak into if you are in another room and a wall is blocking it. My house is not large and I put the Echo in a somewhat central location (it has to be plugged in to work) so I don't really have to use the remote. It's a great timer when I'm cooking. Hopefully, many useful apps will be developed for this device, but right now it's a neat toy to have with some practical uses, too. It's a great way to sample music before buying (if you need to buy it at all).

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Sounds like a neat device, glad you enjoy it. That is pretty cool you can use the remote to speak into when in a different room.

What types of apps could you see being useful for it? I am just curious because I am a software developer haha

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a neat device, glad you enjoy it. That is pretty cool you can use the remote to speak into when in a different room.

What types of apps could you see being useful for it? I am just curious because I am a software developer haha
Zach -- this could be a very useful tool for a well functioning smart home. Amazon has/is putting out an SDK that you might be interested in. http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-echo-beta-sdk-coming-for-diyers-developers-content-providers/ There is a link in the article that takes you to Amazon. I would have provided that page but it kept auto-filling my information.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay -- it's been a while and I love love love my Amazon Echo and all that Alexa can do for me!

But, today I accepted the invitation to use Google's Project Fi. I had to buy a Motorola Nexus 6 (I didn't want to wait for other devices). I was wondering if anyone else was signing up and/or had any comments about the Nexus 6 or Project Fi.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Okay -- it's been a while and I love love love my Amazon Echo and all that Alexa can do for me!

But, today I accepted the invitation to use Google's Project Fi. I had to buy a Motorola Nexus 6 (I didn't want to wait for other devices). I was wondering if anyone else was signing up and/or had any comments about the Nexus 6 or Project Fi.
Wow that sounds pretty neat, actually reminds me of Republic wireless where it will switch you between Wifi and sprint network. That was the reason I didn't want it though because sprint around my town is horrible. Do you know which network google Fi uses?

EDIT: found it in the FAQ "Project Fi has partnered with Sprint and T-Mobile, two of the leading carriers in the US, to launch our service."

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
sprint and tmo aka good luck. however the device looks promising!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been using t-mo for the past 7 or 8 years and have never had any connectivity issues. With Project Fi, though, I am hoping that most of my calls will use a wi-fi connection. It will also allow me to get my calls directly on my Mac.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
T-Mobile has Wi-Fi calling on all thier phones already. I only use Wi-Fi at home for all my calls.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was using in pre-paid so it didn't really make any difference to me as to how the call went out. I think the unlimited talk and text for 20/mo is pretty good though and again I won't really have to worry whether it's wi-fi or not since it's still going to be $20/mo anyway. Hopefully, I won't use $10/mo of data and if I don't use it all, I get credited for what I didn't use.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh ok. Yes I have a plan with them. Left Verizon cause I was paying to much for to little. So far I like T-Mobile.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Google Project Fi really is going to make the large carriers rethink pricing (we all hope) if they can provide what they are promising.

I used WebTV for 10 years before I bought my Mac! LOL But in so many ways, all that I was able to view on my television screen at the time was incredible compared to what I get now!

I'm also using Amazon FireTV stick (also bought on invitation and half price like Echo) and love that, too!

Google and Amazon seem to be offering the best options -- price wise and function wise -- while Apple and the major communications companies and cable companies rob us all blind.

Disclaimer: I love my Mac! It was worth every penny!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay -- one week with the new Nexus 6. It is a whale of cell phone, but the display is BIG -- so it is it's own pro and con. A week of data usage for me has been .081 GB so at $10 a month for 1 GB of data with credit for unused data, I'm expecting data to cost me about $2. If you are someone who uses over 5 GB data per month, this probably won't be the best plan you can get. And I do have to laugh because the day after I got this came the world's biggest update due to security issues! LOL And I ran the updates while I went walking which used about .060 GB of data, so who knows, I might only pay around $1/month for data plus the $20/month for talk/text plus taxes/fees.

I bought the Nexus 6 from Google Project Fi and today found out that I can replace it, no questions asked, anytime in the first 12 months for $100. I don't have to buy insurance for my phone! That's a pretty nice benefit. So come August 2016 and nothing has happened but I would like a new phone, I can get a new one for only $100. Pretty cool. And in the meantime if something does happen, then I'm covered. Google apparently wants users!

I was using earphones this evening while walking and I experienced breakup, silence, etc. while talking. Not real happy about that. But I was able to complete calls with my Mac, and calls to my cell also ring on my landline now which means I can answer the call on my own home phone and save the cell battery.

Update: I meant to tell you that the phone came with some extras, too! An external battery charger, earphones, and a case.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First month of Google Project Fi ended last week. It went well. I used $1.01 in data (60 cents of that was my fault for running the biggest update in history while I was walking -- I guess it was worth it, though). So, the next bill for $20 unltd talk/text, $10 data has a $8.99 credit for unused data. Taxes and regulatory fees add in another $4+. But, after 5 days in this new billing cycle, I've used 3 cents of data. Project Fi app shows you day by day exactly how much data you use -- why don't other carriers make it this easy? Most of my calls were wifi calls and then I decided I would try Google's Hangouts Dialer -- what a difference VOIP makes -- crystal clear connection at both ends. I also removed the case from the phone because it just made it fatter and held in some heat which isn't good for the battery. I immediately noticed my battery was lasting another day longer. The upcoming upgrade to OS Marshmallow is also supposed to add battery life. I bought the Nexus 6 for $499 ($150 less) but have now seen it on sale for another $150 less or $349 (I know -- sooner of later whatever phone you have will be free or almost free) but I'm not too concerned about that -- you know going in how this works. So, again, for those who don't use data, and perhaps those who can take advantage of wifi connections most of the time, this may be a great phone for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts
I kind of had to laugh.

Google has a commercial advertising Alexa now. Of course the need to say the name and ask questions and my Alexa goes off and starts answering. amusing, but also annoying.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Alexa is from Amazon Echo, and they have released the technology to everyone to use. You are probably going to be hearing more about Alexa rather than less in the future. I have to say, I love my Amazon Echo device -- try it and you'll see why.

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL -- yes, I think Alexa is having some issues. This morning I asked her to play one of the local radio stations and she just kept responding that something wasn't right. So, I went online to use the app and sure enough, I-Tunes, IHeart, etc., where not functioning either. So, I turned on a radio. That's the first time I've experienced any trouble and it was all working fine an hour later. I'm just glad I wasn't waiting for an alarm to go off that might not have!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
9 Participants
MANT!
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing