Veloster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Turbo 6MT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install aftermarket gauges in my 13VT as this car has some of the most terrifyingly thin instrumentation I've ever seen. Looking for oil pressure (I want a gauge, not a stupid light that flickers briefly after the engine is already fried, that's worthless), oil temp, and boost at a minimum; IMO these are all things the car should have come with. I asked the tuning shop that put it back together and got this in an e-mail:

Local Import Shop said:
Tech notes are always fun to read. I am basically just gouging to type up his opinions word for word.

Evan says:
I can find A pillar pods in 1/2/3 gauge.

Or steering column ones in 1 or 2.

I like the Innovate ones because they have dual function ones.
For example they have-
oil pressure/oil temp
boost/ AFR
or you can go just boost or just AFR.
They also have a shift light but not a fan of that.

AEM makes good stuff but I dont like the look of it but thats personal preference. I also don't like some of their wiring.

Defi is nice but is sometimes really expensive.

Autometer and STRI are ok brands.

Prosport is kinda cheap.

Glowshift.... well he didn't have any nice words for this one so I recommend not doing that one.

Hopefully this helps you get some ideas of decent brands and what is available.
Now obviously that is quite a bit to take in all at once. Lot of different brands for the gauges themselves, but I'm not sure which ones are the most accurate overall. I'd also considered going all the way to one of those racing digi-clusters, but that sounds potentially very expensive. Looking around the forum I see some people using a smaller digital readout system that plugs into your OBDII port and displays basically whatever you want. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each setup?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
825 Posts
I'm looking to install aftermarket gauges in my 13VT as this car has some of the most terrifyingly thin instrumentation I've ever seen. Looking for oil pressure (I want a gauge, not a stupid light that flickers briefly after the engine is already fried, that's worthless), oil temp, and boost at a minimum; IMO these are all things the car should have come with. I asked the tuning shop that put it back together and got this in an e-mail:

Now obviously that is quite a bit to take in all at once. Lot of different brands for the gauges themselves, but I'm not sure which ones are the most accurate overall. I'd also considered going all the way to one of those racing digi-clusters, but that sounds potentially very expensive. Looking around the forum I see some people using a smaller digital readout system that plugs into your OBDII port and displays basically whatever you want. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each setup?
Scan gauges can only provide what the cars obd2 spits out so you're still limited with what it gives you that won't include oil pressure, oil temp, and actual pre-high pressure pump fuel pressure.

Also most gauges are accurate enough to be good enough for most people and the occasional racer.
What you're actually paying for is all the added effects and on some stepper motors which can drive the price through the roof for such gauges.
So it comes down to what you want to spend. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I prefer the simplicity of an analog needle gauge like the AutoMeter gauges and have been using them for all of my car builds.
Nice thing about a needle gauge is you can turn the gauge to point the needle in a 12 o'clock position when the gauge is at it's set parameter, all you do is glance at it, see the needle at 12 or correct parameter, and know it's where it's supposed to be.

Digital requires reading and some do have dual function with a digital needle along with a digital number on display. It's the best of both worlds but can be a strain to see on a 2" dial. 😬😳

Get what you can afford and gets you feeling good about what you're reading and go for it.
Remember the KISS formula of keeping it simple stupid. 👍😁🤙

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve had GlowShift in for many years now and I love them. I have Air/Fuel, Boost, and Oil Temp. As far as accuracy goes I can tell you they saved my down pipe.. Two of the bolts loosened out at one point and the AFR reading told me about it before it fell off entirely. I see the Oil Temp raise and fall in hotter weather when pushing it hard so I know that one works. And the Boost gauge seems pretty on point for what it should read. My Boost & Oil are analog and the AFR is digital, I have them staggered with the digital one in the middle, I like the look of them that way. I also like that I can play around with different colors all the time, though I tend to stick with a green, blue, purple pattern lol. Again, no issues with my GlowShift so if you had considered them Id say your good.
23E7ACDC-7BE1-41D7-A8D4-8ACE190F12F7.jpeg

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,555 Posts
i am using a glowshift mini-tach on my buell. it doesn't come with a tach. it's been perfect, all the wires are soldered in. it has survived tons of vibration and lots of water.

in my veloster i have an ultragauge which shows lots of different reachings.

Reactions: SVTfocusO3

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had GlowShift in for many years now and I love them. I have Air/Fuel, Boost, and Oil Temp. As far as accuracy goes I can tell you they saved my down pipe.. Two of the bolts loosened out at one point and the AFR reading told me about it before it fell off entirely. I see the Oil Temp raise and fall in hotter weather when pushing it hard so I know that one works. And the Boost gauge seems pretty on point for what it should read. My Boost & Oil are analog and the AFR is digital, I have them staggered with the digital one in the middle, I like the look of them that way. I also like that I can play around with different colors all the time, though I tend to stick with a green, blue, purple pattern lol. Again, no issues with my GlowShift so if you had considered them Id say your good.
View attachment 134598
Gorgeous setup there! Did you disable / remove the airbag behind the A-pillar when installing that?

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
533 Posts
I run VDO gauges in everything. Same as oem for most European brands

1 - 7 of 7 Posts