Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, time for my first question...

So I just got my veloster (more info on that in my new member post) and I want to install my amp and sub. These things are maybe a bit dated but still sounds good, so if it ain't broke why fix it right?

Anyway, I've seen mixed messages on how to setup the amp. Some places I see there's an amp already under the seat, some say there's just a connection in the same spot. Some. Say you have to connect to the back of the head unit... can someone point me in the right direction to figure this out? I've wired this sub amp combo a few times on different vehicles so once I know where the connections are and have a wire diagram I should be good to go. Thanks!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,966 Posts
what trim is your veloster? base will not have an amp under the seat. style and tech will. that determines your options.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a base. Would that mean I go straight to the head unit? Also you know of any decent guides I can kinda follow along?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,966 Posts
i don't have your answer unfortunately but with some searching here you will probably get the answers you're looking for.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, alright, well I've got a 3 day weekend starting now so I'm gonna figure it out one way or another, I'll post something after I figure it out for the next person in my situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think anyone has done a step by step with pictures because there are so many different variations in the theme - where is the stock amp? Is there a stock amp? High level vs low level inputs S/PDIF, what type of sub are you putting in, etc. All the information, pinouts etc is on this site. It would be cool for others if there was a guide, good luck on it

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think I basically figured it out. But its been raining since yesterday so I haven't had a chance to get it done yet. I'll post some info after my trial and error is complete haha

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
67 Posts
Get it done professionally and this is coming from someone who has done car audio installs on several older cars where you just run the amp and sub to the back of the head unit and you're good. I didn't even do my own amp and sub in my car because it was way too complicated for me and would cost quite a bit to do a conversion on my Tech Edition since it has the Dimension sound system in it. If you're confident in messing with that stuff at the head unit, go for it. Otherwise, get it done professionally.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was trying to do it without pulling out the head unit, but that's seeming less and less possible. I used a Line out converter and connected it to the RL speaker, and to the amp. Used a portable battery to temporarily power the amp to test it out, but no sound. I'm gonna mess with it a bit more before I try other means, I haven't used an LOC before so that could be the issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used a Boss 1500w mono sub amp, and a 12" Boss sub in a vented enclosure. I can't recall model numbers at the moment. Amp is under the passenger seat where the factory amp would have been. I ran feeds to the high level inputs of the sub amp from the R&L front speaker out leads. Main power cable direct to the battery through the grommet behind the glovebox. I used the switched ign lead from the factory headunit to switch the amp as well. Since I had to pull the headunit anyways it just made it a little cleaner, no wiring to the fusebox. Bass is turned right down on the headunit to save power and reduce distortion, and I compensate with the cutover frequency and level adjustments on the sub amp

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, I may try it your way as my car project this Sunday. I like the idea of it being under the passenger seat anyway. I was trying to avoid pulling out the head unit, but I dont REALLY have a reason not to, so I'll give it a go and report back my results.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The hardest part is pulling the v trim from the dash to get to the 4 screws holding the headunit. There are tabs, one each side, on the V, near the bottom to insert pry tools. The dash material is easily damaged so pry carefully. After I was complete, I only snapped the top of the v trim back into place, leaving the bottom unsnapped so that it is much easier and less traumatic to pull the trim in the future. The way the trim inserts, I don't notice any gap and it doesn't look out of place.

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip, that's the main reason I was hesitant to take it apart, I didn't want to break any plastic haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts