Veloster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's perfect timing for everything to start happening. I am just a couple days away from selling my VT until suddenly yesterday I turned the car off to enter a store and when I came back out I noticed the radio was still on. I had never had something like this happened before. Digging deeper to find what's happening, I ensured the push button was on the "OFF" position with the car in park and it was still on. Upon opening my door, suddenly it starts beeping at me like the car is still running and I've left my lights on but I made sure they were off yet it continues. The only way I was able to get the radio off was by pulling the negative on the battery but the second I reconnect it, everything turns back on again. It's not just the radio that stays on. I have multiple things that plug into cigarette lighters that normally turn off also but they stay on. I can't find anything on this, it's like the accessories mode is stuck on and it's impossible to turn off. If anybody has some knowledge of this, it would be great to hear. Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
133 Posts
I would start by looking to see if it's a faulty ignition switch. Trouble is with push button starts and no mechanical pieces i'm not sure how that all works since it's key signal/software based.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have any insight into what is causing this, but I am wondering, do things stay active forever, or do they go out when the watchdog circuit cuts power to save the battery? I can't recall how many minutes it takes for the watchdog to kick in is, not sure if there is any correlation between the two

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
133 Posts
Mine shuts off with the car automatically. Stays on indefinitely if i select accessory with the engine off.

Is your radio the stock headunit?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Absoluteyeti, mine operates the same as yours, but I thought there was a circuit that saves the battery if lights etc, are left on when the engine has been shut off. Just wondering if it helps the OP troubleshoot the issue...maybe a glitch with a common circuit

·
Registered
906 Posts
When pushing the "on"-"off" button to turn the engine off, insure your hand is not messing with the shifter in any way.

Disturbing the shifter while shutting off the engine will not yield the proper result.

Results may vary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a new battery. It may seem good but as I have discovered with newer cars and my 2012 Veloster, when the battery starts going bad and doesn't quite put out the right voltage it cant seem to charge up anymore. As it drains while driving it causing funky issues. First my speedometer stopped working but my tachometer still did. Then the engine and fuel and gauges went haywire. I stopped, turned the car off and back on and it barely started and the instrument cluster and radio stopped working. Now i have a 2ndary smaller battery daisy chained in because of my sound system so luckily it was good and was enough to start my car just barely even though its cranking amps were less.

Since i saw a similar issue in my girlfriends GMC acadia i knew where to look. The battery tested good at Advance but a voltemeter showed otherwise. So i got a new battery and problems gone. So i would try that if your battery is hitting 4yrs old or more. A voltemeter should show 12v. If its less while off on the output, its probably bad. Causing your alternator to work harder all for not. Just a thought. If you have a battery charger at home, hook it up and see if having you car in Run but not on, if things work fine. Then disconnect the charger and see if it acts up and dies quickly. That will be a good sign. In the Acc or Run position but the car off. Your head unit should power on normally and run your audio well over 10min on a good battery provided your lights and other accessories are not on.

·
weekend racer
7,820 Posts
to add on to what bushchris said, a voltmeter will tell all... a good battery will only lose a smidgeon of charge - .0XX on a very cold night. a bad battery will drop a few volts, X.XX.

just some neat stuff i picked up trying to fix an electrical issue on the kia. lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help again! Everything is stock, I had an aftermarket amp and sub installed and just removed them since I was planning on selling it. The wiring isn't hooked to the head unit directly, I have them spliced to the wiring from the speakers.

I was looking on other forums and some people said it was the ignition switch, I just switched that out without any luck. I know my way around this car pretty well I thought but it has shown to throw a problem at me that just makes no sense.

I tested the battery, it's barely over a year old and is showing 12.41V which could be low just because the radio has been running for the past 20 minutes. Its also an automatic and the dash shows it's in P when I turn it on.

Here's everything I'm experiencing
Cigarette lighter stays on
Radio stays on
With the car in acc mode it says the key fob is not in the car
Opening the door beeps like the car is in acc mode which almost confirms to me that its stuck there
I have checked every fuse and none of them are blown, I haven't done anything with relays just yet
The push button says it's in the off position

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you removed the aftermarket amp, did you also remove the wiring to it? Or did you leave it? An improperly terminated/covered power wire can cause some crazy issues depending on what it touches. Also, I'd say to double check that your ground wires aren't loose. I have a 1998 F-150 that Ford, in all it's wisdom, decided to ground like 7 systems to one common point. That nut had worked loose and that truck did some CRAZY stuff as each system was looking for the ground through the other systems (e.g. door locks through the 3rd brake light).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't say that I ever found a solution. I connected the negative back up one day and had sparks fly out of the alternator fuse and main fuse somehow. After replacing the Multifuse array and IG2? Fuse, it worked like there was never a problem. It must have been a faulty fuse or something. The alternator is producing and it works great! Thanks to everybody who assisted, it really was a huge help. I hope this helps anybody else in the future haha!

·
weekend racer
7,820 Posts
Please update us after a week or two. !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts