Veloster Forum banner

A flood of problems I need help with fixing

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  DrezZone 
#1 ·
So this past week, so many things have went wrong with my car. I drive a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo with manual transmission. The car has 90k miles on it.

1- My clutch burnt out and it needs to be replaced. I want to know what's a good clutch kit that can withstand increased performance gains compared to the stock clutch.

2- I went to autozone today and there are misfires in cylinders 1, 3, & 4. I was told that I might need some new spark plugs. If so, what are some recommended ones?

3- Yesterday, I got stuck in a flooded driveway and I had to get towed out. Today the car didn't even want to start. Here's how it was behaving:

It told me to turn on fuse switch when it was already on?

Blue Electric blue Auto part Vehicle Car

Here's how the engine bay looked after getting out of that driveway.
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Driveway I got stuck on:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Hyundai

See less See more
1 3
#5 ·
"A flood of problems."

Nice, you aint kiddin`...

1. OEM- thats all i know
2. Oem- search forum-misfires. pull plugs and inspect 1st.
3. Something happened to the battery or electronics; check fuses. This is probably your priority now besides all others. Got a mechanic?(y)
Yeah I guess the best bet is to fix the water damage and to take it to a mechanic tomorrow

#3 ·
Depending on how deep in the water was. It looks like several feet of water? You could have hydro lock on an intake. Water in the motor or fried wired and fuses.
I would work about water damage over a clutch. That looks like hurricane flood type damage looking at the engine bay.
If so sell it. Its probably totalled.

#4 ·
It was only a few inches deep but water splashed everywhere, but yeah I'm in NC so there's a hurricane passing through right now.

The thing is the car did start today and I was able to drive it to the mechanic and to autozone before going home. Surely it's not totalled then?

#8 ·
Remove battery and have it tested for sure. Make sure the area behind the battery is dry and check those ecm connectors (2). May have to remove strut bar. Check for moisture, maybe apply a lubricant if noticed.

#9 ·
Well if the water (flood) damage isn’t that bad and you are able to fix I would check out sxth element they have a nice clutch kit and you could also upgrade the flywheel to the lightweight one as well. Here is a link, but first get that water damage fix.

#10 ·
it looks like you got stuck on a rut.

pop the hood open and let everything dry out well. use a can of air if you gotta...

#12 ·
Alright I'm leaving the car to dry with the hood open now that the weather's good.

I also checked the fuse box and there's no signs of mud in it so I think it's fine. I'll still test the fuses out later on once I clean out the engine bay.
Pull a few of the relays and fuses and look for water on the connections.
Leaving the hood open with the sun shining into the engine compartment is an excellent way to dry out your under hood stuff.

Check your grounds in and around your engine compartment too. Clean them up to the bare metal and reattach.
Good luck.

#13 ·
It’s a flood car. See if your insurance will total it, take the money and buy something else. Flood cars are never the same and problems continue to show up months/ years later.
if insurance won’t total it, dry everything out, check for mold and tell tale water lines on trunk, engine, interior.
If you see them than it’s going to be real hard to sell this as anything but salvage for parts.

#15 ·
few inches of water is all you need if its in through the CAI, or other places. Pull all spark plugs and look for water in the cylinders. If so, then your toast. check to see if the oil is watery. Drain the MT fluid and see if water is in the fluid.
Not to be a debbie downer, but i wouldn't buy that car for $500 unless I needed the parts for another veloster. Just watching the video of all the warning lights flashing, etc is enough for me to get rid of it asap. Read about all the flood cars from Sandy that got totaled, some in only a few inches of water on the net.
Good Luck!

#18 ·
My veloster, NA, had a SRI from ingen with a special cover over the filter which “supposedly” keeps water from entering during driving through puddles, etc. I don’t see that cover on OP filter.
Despite that, the flashing warning lights, fuse error, etc looks to me that the ECU/Body module has shorted somewhere.
It’s less than 100k, if original owner bring it to dealer. See what they say. In NJ SRI/CAI are not carb compliant and could violate inspection. If he had his original air box i wonder if water would be a possible problem.

#17 ·
i think you will be fine once everything dries out, but in the future if you should always pull the battery cable and let everything dry out, meaning pull all electrical plugs loose and let everything dry so you dont short out anything important, maybe pull the spark plugs and yea check you oil for water.

#19 ·
So this past week, so many things have went wrong with my car. I drive a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo with manual transmission. The car has 90k miles on it.

1- My clutch burnt out and it needs to be replaced. I want to know what's a good clutch kit that can withstand increased performance gains compared to the stock clutch.

2- I went to autozone today and there are misfires in cylinders 1, 3, & 4. I was told that I might need some new spark plugs. If so, what are some recommended ones?

3- Yesterday, I got stuck in a flooded driveway and I had to get towed out. Today the car didn't even want to start. Here's how it was behaving:

It told me to turn on fuse switch when it was already on?

View attachment 132753

Here's how the engine bay looked after getting out of that driveway.
View attachment 132754

Driveway I got stuck on: View attachment 132755
Well the only right thing to do is if you got full coverage insurance on you VT? It should be turned in to your ensure whom ever they are and have them total the vehicle for flood damage. Take it from me you will be chasing electrical gremlins forever once it’s gone that deep in water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.