Veloster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My a/c recently started only working on one speed and is super touchy. It only works on the third setting. I don't think it's the fuse because I would assume it wouldn't work at all of that were the case. I've had to replace the blower motor resistor on previous vehicles where I've run in this same problem. Only thing with this is I don't know where that is on the car. I've also seen people replace the whole climate control set up but would like to stay away from that if that's not the issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My a/c recently started only working on one speed and is super touchy. It only works on the third setting. I don't think it's the fuse because I would assume it wouldn't work at all of that were the case. I've had to replace the blower motor resistor on previous vehicles where I've run in this same problem. Only thing with this is I don't know where that is on the car. I've also seen people replace the whole climate control set up but would like to stay away from that if that's not the issue. Any advice would be appreciated.
Forgot to mention It's a 2013 turbo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mean the other settings just don't work/light up? What speed does it work at?

I had the issue where the actual dial knob itself had issues with contact behind it and sort of melted after a really, hot summer. The mechanic I went to see said to fix it, he'd probably just have to replace the entire panel.

Go there and read some of the responses, sometimes it was just the metal contacts behind the dial causing issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can tell you with 100% certainty that its the switch. The dial has copper curved connectors. As you turn it it closes them 1, 2, 3, or 4 at a time increasing the fan speed. They wear along the track and so stop working. I replaced mine at 80,000 miles and the new one just started failing again a week ago at 93,000 miles. Not happy. You can order the entire cluster or get just the swtich at about $70.

You have yo remove the bezel, 4 bolts and then disable the switch to remove it. Mine had a partially melted wiring harness so replaced it.

The resistance changes as your turn the dial and im guessing that the copper is cheap and not pure so the resistance builds up heat and corrodes it till it fail.

It works between the numbers because those points are less used but be certain. That thing will fail entirely eventually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can tell you with 100% certainty that its the switch. The dial has copper curved connectors. As you turn it it closes them 1, 2, 3, or 4 at a time increasing the fan speed. They wear along the track and so stop working. I replaced mine at 80,000 miles and the new one just started failing again a week ago at 93,000 miles. Not happy. You can order the entire cluster or get just the swtich at about $70.

You have yo remove the bezel, 4 bolts and then disable the switch to remove it. Mine had a partially melted wiring harness so replaced it.

The resistance changes as your turn the dial and im guessing that the copper is cheap and not pure so the resistance builds up heat and corrodes it till it fail.

It works between the numbers because those points are less used but be certain. That thing will fail entirely eventually.
zDo you know where I can get the switch for $70?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts