Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Turbo 6MT,should i use mid or premium i live in Illinois and im running 89 right now

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Already too discussed, you should use what was recommended for your car. Regular is recommended most of the time unless you have a tune that asks for something more rich. No matter what that is, the less ethanol the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely not going to use 87 in a turbo, and it hasn't beem discussed enough because all it says is mid and premium, i need answers from VT between 13 and 17 sooo

·
Registered
87 Posts
@jkt1954 is correct about the ethanol or lack of it.
If you can find a pure gas or 100% real gas the better.
I use 93 100% gas even though I'm not turbo as of yet. 😉
All my cars have used pure gas over the last 20+ years with great results.
Normally aspirated engines have high compression engines and can definitely benefit from the higher octane, especially under a load.

Turbo engines too can benefit and gives the ECU a bit of a break in keeping your timing maps a bit higher using higher octane. The chance for knock is lessened with the higher octane which is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
definitely not going to use 87 in a turbo, and it hasn't beem discussed enough because all it says is mid and premium, i need answers from VT between 13 and 17 sooo
Given what you have said, what fuel was recommended specifically for your car by Hyundai? Do you have an owner's manual to back you up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given what you have said, what fuel was recommended specifically for your car by Hyundai? Do you have an owner's manual to back you up?
hyundai says 87 the other VT owners say 91 and some say 93 so idk anymore

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
Use a minimum of 87 TOP TIER some cars have problems with this due to altitude so if you do, go up to 89 or 91 or higher

·
Registered
496 Posts
been using 91 only in my 16 vt with 112k miles on it with stock fuel pump and line!

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's a real shame if non-ethanol gasoline is not available in your area, because running non-ethanol gasoline exclusively in your car eliminates every kind of gasoline related problem your car could possibly have related to the ethanol that's in your gasoline. Ethanol enriched gasoline supports all kinds of algae and fungus growth in the fuel system components that non-ethanol enriched gasoline will not. Most all additives that you can put in your gasoline, and which Hyundai recommends to do, will help a little, but if you park your car for any lengthy period of time, you're still going to have problems. Massive doses of additive sometimes helps especially with multiple applications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 14 Turbo 6MT,should i use mid or premium i live in Illinois and im running 89 right now
Already too discussed, you should use what was recommended for your car. Regular is recommended most of the time unless you have a tune that asks for something more rich. No matter what that is, the less ethanol the better.
I have been using BP Ultimate ... 93 octane and NO ETHANOL. Win win.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I have been using BP Ultimate ... 93 octane and NO ETHANOL. Win win.
It's kind of a crap shoot, isn't it? You get no ethanol gas which is great for the engine, but as you posted in another thread the clutch is disintegrating, etc. Not sure where you are located but the only ethanol free I can locally is usually a boat marina and not typically meant for automobiles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts