Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it.

After countless searches and finding only up to 200amp alternators I decided to just find the next closest thing and shove it in.
What I found was a hairpin Mechman 370amp alternator for an F-150.
So I took a dermal to the bottom mount of the alternator to the engine block to make it sit closer to the engine to line up the belt with all the other pulleys, and presto.
Took my back seat out (not like it was seating anyone anyway) and put a 9.5 cubic feet box with 2 15's back there.
Let me know if you have any questions on how to do this if you want some real power for your audio system.
20180702_183638.jpg 20180702_183536_LI.jpg 20180702_183253.jpg 20180702_183115.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you tell us what year, and motor size the alternator was for please.
It took me a bit, the f150 threw me off the scent but he's actually got a 2011 to 2017 f250/350/450 superduty alt, just ordered one yesterday for 228 shipped/ search
LActrical High Output 300 AMP Alternator
I will put it on next week and let you know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok what i had to do, apparently the turbo alt is very different, i assume if you have a non turbo it will not be this hard! First had to cut where alternator mounts, just past the water pump, which gives around 1/4 inch and then cut or mill the rest off bottom alt mount to move it over about .38 inches or 9.65mm, check yours before trimming any further "i went almost a half and had to space back DOH". You will also have to cut your tension bracket and add spacer between bracket and alt top mount "how much depends on how you weld your bracket" and i trimmed my intake a little where the power stud was hitting a little to give a little more tension room, lastly the belt size the about 51 inches, ended up with 51.2 use whatever, continental 4060510 will prob work, i think i got the 512 by accident so i know that works. All in pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK after just reviewing Keyguar's post again its not exactly the same alt. from what he has,My bad, but seeing how far the belt is running to the outside of the waterpump pully it is obvious that one needs cutting also, atleast cut at the block to give the 1/4 inch, running a belt that far of will quickly wear i think, if not fly off. And lol next time i will pay more attention!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more thing, if you get the exact alt. i did ,it comes with an overdrive pully whi i caculated at aroung 7k rpm engine the alt. would be around 22k, ive read not to go over 18k so i went to a alt/starter repair shop and got a regular size, which they just traded me for my overdrive, and now one more thing haha, it is 2 washers behind the pully i just put back one to move the pully closer to the alt. but you dont have to do that, up to you.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
Nice work. Thanks for the photos !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts