Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2019 Veloster 2.0
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall!

On September 9th I purchased my first car, a 2019 Veloster 2.0 in Gray.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille
<--- The day I got her.
Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Street light Road surface

This being my first car I was incredibly excited to get started with it. A flood of independence and responsibility washed over me the first couple weeks. Now, I've never been that into cars (except for e30s, but that interest was pretty surface level). The one thing I do like to whenever I own something new is make it mine. So I got to tinkering....

Mod 1: Blacking it Out
Okay VERY basic right out the gate. I decided I wanted to black out the badges. I'm sure this is a very 16 year old mod and very common, but whatever. I decided in didn't want the hassle of taking off the emblems, so time to mask. All in all it took waaaay longer to mask the emblems that we thought. With 2 people it took a couple hours, but it was worth it. After spray painting and removing all the tape I think it looks pretty nice (and not too tacky).
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

(I later did touchups and covered the spots between the 2.0)

Mod 2: Air filter
I know I'm going to get **** for calling this a mod but I don't care. I dropped in this air filter from K&N. The stock one was dirty and with this being the 2.0 I'm trying to squeeze out any performance I can. I'm not sure how much of this was placebo but I feel like it made the car much louder (which my immature brain appreciates).

Mod 3: Steering Wheel Emblem
This one is pretty lame. I bought a plastic stick-on cover for the steering wheel emblem. Its off-center but whatever, it looks nifty. Told you we were blacking this thing out ;)
Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive design Steering wheel

Mod 4: Interior Lights
I picked up these Govee lights. I hid the cables pretty well. I can set them to blue to match the accents and guests love them.

Mod 5: Calipers and Caps
I feel like this one is gonna be controversial. I thought that red calipers would look cool. In my opinion they do. Also decided to blackout the center caps on the rims with spray-paint.

It was annoying to get the wheels off, all but one of the bullets was over-torqued, but we got it eventually. Unfortunately during the process, due to me not have one of those plastic-covered bits, I scratched the ever living fuck out of the inside of the lug-nut wells (If you have any solutions to hide/fix them, that'd be amazing). Anyway, after a days work we got them painted. So far this may be my favorite mod.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Paint Art Font Electric blue Visual arts
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Whats next?
There are several mods I wanna do after this;

I plan on getting the N Wing after the holidays. When I install that I will probably paint the white rear bumper (seriously, who thought that was a good idea?) the same color as the wing. Afaik the Duraflex wings suck, so I'll pick up the oem one.

Exhaust / Muffler Delete / Resonator Delete
I'm pretty tempted to do a muffler delete and have pipe fitted to connect to the normal exhaust. I'd really like the car to be louder without being obnoxious, so I'm not entirely sure. (Its my understanding that this is reversible as long as the replacement pipe is bolted on and not welded like the stock muffler.

Headlight bulb replacement
I don't know if I just have bad bulbs but the headlights are super dim. I live in a place infested with blindingly bright headlights, so any recommendations for good, non-obnoxious bulbs is greatly appreciated.

Wheels: Repair / Replace
My current stock wheels have a really bad case of curb rash (pictures don't do it justice). I'm likely going to just attempt to repair them as I do not have the fund for a new set of wheels, though I do really want some glossy black ones.

Tint
My windows have no tint. Its Florida. Its hot.

Conclusion:
In these past 3 months I've learned more about cars than I ever wanted to. This stuff is seriously addicting. I understand that these changes may be pretty obnoxious and "ruinous", but I'm young and dumb, let me express that in my vehicle.

I couldn't be happier with how this car has turned out. I understand it isn't the fastest, but damn if it isn't fun. I haven't shown it to a single person that didn't say "that's cool" or "wait why does it have 3 doors that weird". Thank you everyone who has helped me through many, admittingly dumb, questions on here and on the reddit. Viva la Veloster.

Ps. I'm still trying to think of a name for the car. Preferably something related to "black-out".

- Grant
Grant.Works

Thanks for reading.

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
welcome to the club!

Reactions: Grant

· Registered
2014 NA Veloster 1.6L 4cyl M/T
52 Posts
Tint: I got 35% which is the darkest legal where I live. Wish I had gone darker but whatever. Totally worth it.

Exhaust: look into welding an electronic cutout in place of the resonator. That way you have a choice between slightly more aggressive than stock (closed, muffler only) and loud (open, straight piped besides cats). That’s what I did to my 14 NAV, except with a MF muffler, and it sounds great. I basically have a “conversation” mode, and a “carving down backroads” mode. I linked a video of the exhaust open. Now that it’s cold out it sounds even better.

Functional hood ventsI just got some of these and they’re totally worth it. They look amazing and were fairly cheap. Idk if I’m crazy, but i noticed a difference in engine temps. Ask @12gaugegarage on Instagram.

Also, not sure if you’ve considered it but a front lip splitter would look sick on that thing.

Pedals: I got a set of OMP Racing pedals for like $35 and they made learning to heel-toe way easier, and it’s a lot more fun to drive.

Exhaust Clip
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wood Font Circle Pattern Auto part

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
how is that heel-toe working out for you? as a seasoned racer i gave up on it in this car, if you push the brake down long enough the throttle gets disabled completely.

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
may not be pushing them both down long enough then. i'm trying to row from like 5th to 3rd at the speedway.

· Registered
2019 Veloster 2.0
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tint: I got 35% which is the darkest legal where I live. Wish I had gone darker but whatever. Totally worth it.

Exhaust: look into welding an electronic cutout in place of the resonator. That way you have a choice between slightly more aggressive than stock (closed, muffler only) and loud (open, straight piped besides cats). That’s what I did to my 14 NAV, except with a MF muffler, and it sounds great. I basically have a “conversation” mode, and a “carving down backroads” mode. I linked a video of the exhaust open. Now that it’s cold out it sounds even better.

Functional hood ventsI just got some of these and they’re totally worth it. They look amazing and were fairly cheap. Idk if I’m crazy, but i noticed a difference in engine temps. Ask @12gaugegarage on Instagram.

Also, not sure if you’ve considered it but a front lip splitter would look sick on that thing.

Pedals: I got a set of OMP Racing pedals for like $35 and they made learning to heel-toe way easier, and it’s a lot more fun to drive.

Exhaust Clip View attachment 135986
View attachment 135984
View attachment 135983
View attachment 135985
View attachment 135982
what a beautiful veloster!

I'll likely install a front lip splitter in the semi near future now that you mention it.

Ive got an auto so I'm not sure racing pedals would really help with anything haha.

The electronic exhaust switch sounds cool, but waaaay out of my skill level. Sounds great in the video tho!

· Registered
2019 Veloster 2.0
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Exhaust Clip View attachment 135986
View attachment 135984
View attachment 135983
View attachment 135985
View attachment 135982
Okay I thought about it more and did some more research. I really wanna do an variable electric res delete. Curious if it would be possible to do it completely no destructively. Unbolting the resonator and just using exhaust pipe "clips". Could I just leave the deleted pipe to exhaust immediately under the car and have the normal res delete continue or what?

Not sure if any of this makes sense, I'm still new to this.

· Registered
52 Posts
@Grant from the experience I have with doing exhaust work without cutting and welding, it’s worth it to just pay a shop to do it if you don’t know how. Most shops will charge about $60 to cut out a section of pipe, say your resonator, and weld in a section of pipe. It’s worth the $60 to have something that’s sturdy. I’m not sure what kind of flanges we have, so I don’t know really how easy it would be to bolt on a straight pipe.

It’s going to be a whole lot cheaper and easier, and definitely worth the money, if you don’t have a welder to take it to a muffler shop and describe what you want. If not you’d have to worry about also having to take out the muffler (maybe the resonator and muffler are on the same section of pipe?), hanging the exhaust (the pipe you get would likely have to be custom made to fit the Veloster in that case), routing the new pipe over the rear axle, etc.

I’m not sure what you mean by “variable electric” resonator delete. Like a switch that opens and closes a valve to give you an option of res or no res? If that’s what you mean, I definitely wouldn’t try to do that with clamps unless you really know what you’re doing. Also, because of the way the exhaust is routed, it might be very hard or impossible to fit an exhaust cutout before the resonator. On mine, the cutout is right where the resonator used to be. I didn’t know what I was doing working on my Crown Vic’s exhaust and it fell off 😂

Sorry, I know that’s a lot. Hopefully it made sense? If not let me know and I can try to clarify.

· Registered
52 Posts
may not be pushing them both down long enough then. i'm trying to row from like 5th to 3rd at the speedway.
I definitely don’t have any trouble with it. I’ve been heel toeing for months in this car and can easily row through the gears while on the brake. I tried it in my brother’s new VT and was unable to do it. Could that be a part of it? Mine’s the na. Also, I don’t have the stock throttle body. I wouldn’t think that would affect it but not sure. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
52 Posts
Definitely sick...🥵
What kind of rear window you using...? Mind I ask where'd you get it or do you have a direct link to where you get yours...?
eBAY 😂

· Registered
52 Posts
RSS....the tint looks great!
Mine's at ~20%. It took me a while to get used to driving at night time. Had to be extra careful watching for pedestrians all dressed in black crossing dim lit streets.
Thanks 😂 mine’s at 35% but I think it’s a little faded bc I don’t have a garage. I can see fine out of it. Do you have pics of your tint?

· Registered
52 Posts
Hey yall!

On September 9th I purchased my first car, a 2019 Veloster 2.0 in Gray.
View attachment 135968 <--- The day I got her. View attachment 135972

This being my first car I was incredibly excited to get started with it. A flood of independence and responsibility washed over me the first couple weeks. Now, I've never been that into cars (except for e30s, but that interest was pretty surface level). The one thing I do like to whenever I own something new is make it mine. So I got to tinkering....

Mod 1: Blacking it Out
Okay VERY basic right out the gate. I decided I wanted to black out the badges. I'm sure this is a very 16 year old mod and very common, but whatever. I decided in didn't want the hassle of taking off the emblems, so time to mask. All in all it took waaaay longer to mask the emblems that we thought. With 2 people it took a couple hours, but it was worth it. After spray painting and removing all the tape I think it looks pretty nice (and not too tacky).
View attachment 135969 View attachment 135970 View attachment 135971

(I later did touchups and covered the spots between the 2.0)

Mod 2: Air filter
I know I'm going to get **** for calling this a mod but I don't care. I dropped in this air filter from K&N. The stock one was dirty and with this being the 2.0 I'm trying to squeeze out any performance I can. I'm not sure how much of this was placebo but I feel like it made the car much louder (which my immature brain appreciates).

Mod 3: Steering Wheel Emblem
This one is pretty lame. I bought a plastic stick-on cover for the steering wheel emblem. Its off-center but whatever, it looks nifty. Told you we were blacking this thing out ;)
View attachment 135973

Mod 4: Interior Lights
I picked up these Govee lights. I hid the cables pretty well. I can set them to blue to match the accents and guests love them.

Mod 5: Calipers and Caps
I feel like this one is gonna be controversial. I thought that red calipers would look cool. In my opinion they do. Also decided to blackout the center caps on the rims with spray-paint.

It was annoying to get the wheels off, all but one of the bullets was over-torqued, but we got it eventually. Unfortunately during the process, due to me not have one of those plastic-covered bits, I scratched the ever living fuck out of the inside of the lug-nut wells (If you have any solutions to hide/fix them, that'd be amazing). Anyway, after a days work we got them painted. So far this may be my favorite mod.
View attachment 135974 View attachment 135975 View attachment 135976 View attachment 135977

Whats next?
There are several mods I wanna do after this;

I plan on getting the N Wing after the holidays. When I install that I will probably paint the white rear bumper (seriously, who thought that was a good idea?) the same color as the wing. Afaik the Duraflex wings suck, so I'll pick up the oem one.

Exhaust / Muffler Delete / Resonator Delete
I'm pretty tempted to do a muffler delete and have pipe fitted to connect to the normal exhaust. I'd really like the car to be louder without being obnoxious, so I'm not entirely sure. (Its my understanding that this is reversible as long as the replacement pipe is bolted on and not welded like the stock muffler.

Headlight bulb replacement
I don't know if I just have bad bulbs but the headlights are super dim. I live in a place infested with blindingly bright headlights, so any recommendations for good, non-obnoxious bulbs is greatly appreciated.

Wheels: Repair / Replace
My current stock wheels have a really bad case of curb rash (pictures don't do it justice). I'm likely going to just attempt to repair them as I do not have the fund for a new set of wheels, though I do really want some glossy black ones.

Tint
My windows have no tint. Its Florida. Its hot.

Conclusion:
In these past 3 months I've learned more about cars than I ever wanted to. This stuff is seriously addicting. I understand that these changes may be pretty obnoxious and "ruinous", but I'm young and dumb, let me express that in my vehicle.

I couldn't be happier with how this car has turned out. I understand it isn't the fastest, but damn if it isn't fun. I haven't shown it to a single person that didn't say "that's cool" or "wait why does it have 3 doors that weird". Thank you everyone who has helped me through many, admittingly dumb, questions on here and on the reddit. Viva la Veloster.

Ps. I'm still trying to think of a name for the car. Preferably something related to "black-out".

- Grant
Grant.Works

Thanks for reading.
btw idk if I said it or not but that thing is gorgeous. Can’t wait to see how it turns out bro.

· Registered
2019 Veloster 2.0
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Grant from the experience I have with doing exhaust work without cutting and welding, it’s worth it to just pay a shop to do it if you don’t know how. Most shops will charge about $60 to cut out a section of pipe, say your resonator, and weld in a section of pipe. It’s worth the $60 to have something that’s sturdy. I’m not sure what kind of flanges we have, so I don’t know really how easy it would be to bolt on a straight pipe.

It’s going to be a whole lot cheaper and easier, and definitely worth the money, if you don’t have a welder to take it to a muffler shop and describe what you want. If not you’d have to worry about also having to take out the muffler (maybe the resonator and muffler are on the same section of pipe?), hanging the exhaust (the pipe you get would likely have to be custom made to fit the Veloster in that case), routing the new pipe over the rear axle, etc.

I’m not sure what you mean by “variable electric” resonator delete. Like a switch that opens and closes a valve to give you an option of res or no res? If that’s what you mean, I definitely wouldn’t try to do that with clamps unless you really know what you’re doing. Also, because of the way the exhaust is routed, it might be very hard or impossible to fit an exhaust cutout before the resonator. On mine, the cutout is right where the resonator used to be. I didn’t know what I was doing working on my Crown Vic’s exhaust and it fell off 😂

Sorry, I know that’s a lot. Hopefully it made sense? If not let me know and I can try to clarify.
This makes perfect sense. Since I made that comment I've done a bit more research and called around to a few shops. So far the cheapest I've seen is $120, and thats after I negotiated them down from $170. I'm not sure how long I'll keep the veloster (2.0 is kinda slow but really fun), so I'm worried about a resonator delete affecting the resale value.

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
I definitely don’t have any trouble with it. I’ve been heel toeing for months in this car and can easily row through the gears while on the brake. I tried it in my brother’s new VT and was unable to do it. Could that be a part of it? Mine’s the na. Also, I don’t have the stock throttle body. I wouldn’t think that would affect it but not sure. 🤷‍♂️
i had a 12 NA before this 14 VT and was the same for me. the vt also had the bigger tb at one point. the switches are at the pedals. i am a long time autox/track competition person and can heel toe everything else, lol

· Registered
52 Posts
i had a 12 NA before this 14 VT and was the same for me. the vt also had the bigger tb at one point. the switches are at the pedals. i am a long time autox/track competition person and can heel toe everything else, lol
Hmm. I’m not sure then. I mean I’m definitely engaging the brake when I do it. I tried just to make sure after you said that. I started in sixth braked enough that I was absolutely sure, and was still able to control the throttle and row down to whatever gear I needed. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 25 Posts