Veloster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i bought this car for my daughter cause she loves the color orange haha she calls it pumpkin.
So everything is fine we bought it in 2020 BUT it had only 2000 km on it and has ran smooth and great and holy crap FAST lol, until
now..... It sounds like something is maybe flapping in the wind? All i know is that the years warrantee""" worn out before
km unfortunately. It only has 40000 km on it and its pretty much brand new. Anyways i'm afraid to drive it to the
garage just in case i break something. It only seems to do it when i drive over 20 so can someone please explain
if you've ever heard this sound? I mean it ran fine that morning then all of a sudden i get into it and it makes this noise.
the complete underneath of the car is covered bumper to bumper with a skid plate so obviously there's nothing "flapping
in the wind under there"
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!
"video wont let me upload it :( so i'll provide a link" please mind the mess haha that's where my daughter sits and she's messy haha

video for 2016 Veloster turbo weird sound

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
sounds like you may have something wrapped around an axle or one of those guards flapping in the wind. you're going to have to bring it somewhere to get it checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like you may have something wrapped around an axle or one of those guards flapping in the wind. you're going to have to bring it somewhere to get it checked out.
Ive shown the video to a few mechanics in the area and they absolutely do not drive it have it towed........ am i being fkd with cause im a girl or? should it be towed?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
do you have a jack and can you look under the car yourself?

·
Administrator
4,677 Posts
does it make that sound if you rev the engine while in park or neutral?
Have you looked at your inner plastic wheel wells it see if you have a hole worn in them or if they have come loose?

·
Registered
2012 NAV, 2000 VMax
37 Posts
Same questions as nvyseal above?
Doesn't sound mechanical (not clunky). Maybe you could have someone walk beside the car as you are driving slowing to try and determine exactly where the sound is coming from.
Sounds like some road debris (maybe an old MacDonald's bag lol) wrapped around the axle.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i bought this car for my daughter cause she loves the color orange haha she calls it pumpkin.
So everything is fine we bought it in 2020 BUT it had only 2000 km on it and has ran smooth and great and holy crap FAST lol, until
now..... It sounds like something is maybe flapping in the wind? All i know is that the years warrantee""" worn out before
km unfortunately. It only has 40000 km on it and its pretty much brand new. Anyways i'm afraid to drive it to the
garage just in case i break something. It only seems to do it when i drive over 20 so can someone please explain
if you've ever heard this sound? I mean it ran fine that morning then all of a sudden i get into it and it makes this noise.
the complete underneath of the car is covered bumper to bumper with a skid plate so obviously there's nothing "flapping
in the wind under there"
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!
"video wont let me upload it :( so i'll provide a link" please mind the mess haha that's where my daughter sits and she's messy haha

video for 2016 Veloster turbo weird sound
In the video I would assume that the car is constantly in motion. If it is then then the noise is not constant. One thing to check would be the electric radiator fan, as it is always turning on and off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is most likely a loose mud guard or wheel well plastic. Its catching wind while driving and bouncing off the tire.

If it does not do this while parked but engine on then thats what I would look for.

Check it this way. Pull the right side onto a curb if no jack to jack it up. Put in park and E brake then turn the wheel all the way to the right and go check for loose plastic in the wheel well.

Turn wheel all the way left and check again at the right wheel but the other side of the wheel now thats easier to get to now. Poke around, look for rub marks. Feel for anything loose with the car off.

You can also drive with someone with the window down and then can carefully lean out to listen for where specifically its coming from.

Report back here with your findings. I think its a loose splash guard or cowling in front of the passenger front wheel where the plastic push pins popped out or fell off.

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo MT
45 Posts
If the noise doesn't occur while the engine is idling at a stop then that's good.

You could try driving side by side with someone on an empty road and see if they can see it from the sides lol. If not, then somethings probably flapping under the car. Honestly though, the sound it's making sounds way too consistent. Almost like it's something on the tire slapping the wheel well than something blowing in the wind. You could probably verify that by driving really slow, therefore not providing enough wind to make something slap that loud repeatedly.

I had a similar noise when a sliver of tire came loose and started slapping my fender on every tire rotation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts