Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am getting a cold air intake for my NAV and either from Injen or R2CPerformance. However, I was reading common issues with engine hydro locking in states where it rains a lot. I live in Tucson, AZ where we have "monsoon season" which can be heavy rainfall from June-September usually. That being said, I was looking at the air bypass valve by AEM and was wondering if I should get one just to be safe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi all,

I am getting a cold air intake for my NAV and either from Injen or R2CPerformance. However, I was reading common issues with engine hydro locking in states where it rains a lot. I live in Tucson, AZ where we have "monsoon season" which can be heavy rainfall from June-September usually. That being said, I was looking at the air bypass valve by AEM and was wondering if I should get one just to be safe.

Thanks!
I agree with SVTFocus03. Besides, AEM makes junk anyway (in my opinion).

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
300 Posts
I'll be the one to negate all in this thread about hydro lock.
First getting rain on a filter does zero harm at all. Period. It actually does good as it's mist of water will help clean the combustion chamber and also the intake valves.

Second you would literally have to COMPLETELY submerge the intake tube under water for hydro lock to occur.
Unless your streets become rivers of water from all the rain at 2-3 feet, you really think you should be out driving? 🤨🥴

Last, Ive been running cai intakes into the fender well for decades and never once had an issue.
In South Mississippi we get tropical rains 6 months out of the year and I've personally witnesses 8.58 inches of rain falling in one hour which was recorded in Pascagoula MS by NOAA. I wasn't driving but I have been in torrential down pours with never an issue.

In my 21 years on various forums this subject always comes up because people have no idea how hydro locking an engine occurs and rain will never do this. Ever.

Oh and I love my AEM cai. 😂👍🤷🏼‍♂️😎

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it! To convert I believe, just don't use longer pipe to bumper.
I'm sorry for sound dumb but what do you mean don't use longer pipe to bumper? Should I immediately convert to short ram? Again, I have never had a CAI before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, use the full kit. When you get the kit and read the destruction's, then you should be good and understand what i mean.
Awesome, thank you! Do you have any other recommendations for mods I should do to my car? I'm not looking to go full ricer or anything. Just whatever stuff I can do here and there to make it more fun to drive.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
the AEM bypass works as such when the filter is submerged in water that air can come into the bypass because it is the least path of resistance.

at any rate like misnblu said you would be driving through a small lake 12-18 inches of water to partially submerge a filter in water with it in the fender. less if you're really low.

there was a great youtube video by AEM actually showing how it worked but i can't seem to find it anymore!

·
Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
19 Posts
Muffler recommendations? I was looking at Magnaflow performance mufflers but not sure.
I did a resonator delete, with a glasspack muffler and custom Y pipe to the stock exhaust tips. Sounds good :cool: need a lot of custom piping and welding done which sucks but got it all done for $250

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
300 Posts
Muffler recommendations? I was looking at Magnaflow performance mufflers but not sure.
Like @turbovhyundai13 stated you can do something as simple as what he did and have good results.
Borla and Magnaflow both sound good when installed.
Do a search on 'exhaust sound clips' here on the forums to get an idea of what's out there.
Good luck and remember some of the simplest exhaust setups sound great. 👍

·
Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
19 Posts
Like @turbovhyundai13 stated you can do something as simple as what he did and have good results.
Borla and Magnaflow both sound good when installed.
Do a search on 'exhaust sound clips' here on the forums to get an idea of what's out there.
Good luck and remember some of the simplest exhaust setups sound great. 👍
She I ain't no man :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts