Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Base model and at 14408 miles I had a clogged catalytic converter, I lost all power, it went no where. Towed to the dealer (under warranty) at the dealer the service writer jumped in turned it on, put it in gear (went no where), put his foot into and car started blowing white smoke BAD!!! Was called the following day stating all fixed it was the cat..
Ok picked it up and the car has run rough ever since. Noticed at 30,000 that I had no oil (BURNING IT!) and so I had my oil change done which it was time. 1,000 miles later clogged cat again. Had it towed again and replaced the CAT again!
Now at 32,500 I have burned thru 2.5 quarts of oil and I'm starting to loose power, it was hot yesterday and I could not even run my AC due to loss of power.
Dealer wants an oil consumption test done, so I'm hoping the car lasts long enough for them to get the information they need, but my luck I will be towed to the dealer again with a blocked cat and this will be 2,500 miles after the last one was replaced.

Anyone have any ideas why this keeps happening? The car has 32,624 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2016 Base model and at 14408 miles I had a clogged catalytic converter, I lost all power, it went no where. Towed to the dealer (under warranty) at the dealer the service writer jumped in turned it on, put it in gear (went no where), put his foot into and car started blowing white smoke BAD!!! Was called the following day stating all fixed it was the cat..
Ok picked it up and the car has run rough ever since. Noticed at 30,000 that I had no oil (BURNING IT!) and so I had my oil change done which it was time. 1,000 miles later clogged cat again. Had it towed again and replaced the CAT again!
Now at 32,500 I have burned thru 2.5 quarts of oil and I'm starting to loose power, it was hot yesterday and I could not even run my AC due to loss of power.
Dealer wants an oil consumption test done, so I'm hoping the car lasts long enough for them to get the information they need, but my luck I will be towed to the dealer again with a blocked cat and this will be 2,500 miles after the last one was replaced.

Anyone have any ideas why this keeps happening? The car has 32,624 miles.
Wow... that's crazy man... I'm at 210,××× miles with original cats.. I also burn tf out of oil (1qt every 500-700 miles) but supposedly its "normal" says Hyundai...carbon emissions in these GDI motors are excessive and WILL cause alot of problems. Their are a few things you can do to DRASTICALLY reduce carbon emissions...

DONT USE REGULAR FUEL (with ethanol) no matter what octane ratings (87,89,91,93)
Instead, find a gas station that sells "pure" gasoline (ethanol free).. GDI+ETHANOL =CARBON..
Better mpg and 4× less carbon production (proof is on your exhaust tips) try it and you will see..clean your exhaust tips first. Then drive 200 miles with regular fuel. Take a pic of your tips.. clean them again with a white paper towel (should wipe right off).. save that paper towel... drive another 200 miles with pure gas. The difference is like night and day.. (I've done test multiple times and the results were always the same, pure gas produced MUCH less carbon on the tips)

Another thing to do is induction cleanings about every 15k miles (esp. If your running ethanol fuel). I use CRC or seafoam and my nav blows out so much carbon smoke every time, it looks just like a big diesel truck when they floor it and "roll coal".. I have video if you want to see..lol...

Those two things are imperative in the fight against carbon emissions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just an update, blew yet another CAT! 4,000 miles after the last one was replaced. I also had a fuel injection service done because the dealership recommended that it be done. So I also burn thru a quart and a half of oil in 1,300 miles. This car is nothing but a headache. I think the number one problem is where the cat is located in these cars. I have a feeling that Hyundai is just going to keep saying there is nothing wrong until it completely blows up. I hate that I can't even go on a trip in this car because I can no longer trust it, I just hope that it will get me from point a to point b if they don't fix everything.

I'm now at 34,000 miles, no car it sits at the dealership.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well just an update, blew yet another CAT! 4,000 miles after the last one was replaced. I also had a fuel injection service done because the dealership recommended that it be done. So I also burn thru a quart and a half of oil in 1,300 miles. This car is nothing but a headache. I think the number one problem is where the cat is located in these cars. I have a feeling that Hyundai is just going to keep saying there is nothing wrong until it completely blows up. I hate that I can't even go on a trip in this car because I can no longer trust it, I just hope that it will get me from point a to point b if they don't fix everything.

I'm now at 34,000 miles, no car it sits at the dealership.
You guys have a lemon law down there, right? This sounds like a good candidate!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Another thing to do is induction cleanings about every 15k miles (esp. If your running ethanol fuel). I use CRC or seafoam and my nav blows out so much carbon smoke every time, it looks just like a big diesel truck when they floor it and "roll coal".. I have video if you want to see..lol...
I'd like to see the video of how yours looked...I added a catch can last year, but did the CRC cleaning last weekend, first one, at 42K km's. Definitely scared me. Car runs much better though after, smoother idle, and it feels like more power at lower rpms than before. During the highway speed run after the heat soak, I got the burst of white smoke and rattling from underneath the car, which went away when the smoke dissipated. It felt to me like a buildup of residual CRC liquid/carbon blowing through the cat...had me worried I damaged the cat with the treatment. But everything cleared up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Ricketts
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing