Veloster Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Iam not an expert on electrical problems by any means but just compiling what has been said and after this it is going to be fuzzy and i might have more questions than answers:

But the fact that if this a true misfire it could only be just a few things.
Ground, coil pack, spark plugs or battery
  • Ground and battery can be pretty much eliminated as we have determined this to be 1 bank only, this could still mean that it is a connector or cable issue causing a bad + or - on the coil pack.
  • Coil pack, not going to elaborate too much but even new parts could fail
  • Spark plugs, might need a checking over as said before
Mechanical issues that trigger a misfire on the same circuit they are designed for should and could be diagnosed with ease

But now theres also a thing i like to call sequence errors which i will explain as such:
You give an order to do a and the computer checks b c d and sends signal through e to do command a.
Little example on a hydraulic tractor clutch i just had.
You command the clutch to move forward but first it has to check rpm, valid neutral, seat switch and/or clutch pedal , oil pressure. Before it sends a signal that it engages the clutch.

Depending on the complexity this could be anywhere from a really big problem to a small problem.

So this last part is pretty much redundant as especially on the newer ecm's everything is monitored but could be a real probability if you have checked all other problems TWICE.
This is more a cautionary tale to just do the work again and check every cable and connector again for any breaks.

But of course there could be an underlying problem that causes the ecm to misfire by itself

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Alright guys, I found my old OBD2, P0191 is still showing, and P2188 which is "to rich Bank 1", extremely rough start, black smoke and extreme surging after about 12 hours of sitting. I think it's the fuel regulator, would only make since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So your replacing the pump assembly? Probably good idea !

I am not gonna lie man, I dont know where the regulator is in these cars, its all foreign to me. I work on my 03 mustang cobra and built the engine for it, along with a old 5.0.

Mechanic says the regulator is on the side of the High pressure fuel pump, this diagram shows completely different.

·
Registered
16 VT
480 Posts
I have seen those set p0087 a lot when they go bad. He could be right, they are pricey though. It seems like the logical part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have seen those set p0087 a lot when they go bad. He could be right, they are pricey though. It seems like the logical part.
Link to the part? Idk what he's talking about. I'm mechanically inclined enough to replace it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts