Veloster Forum banner

2013 Veloster turbo power cutting in and out

1164 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  LaVette71
So I have a 2013 veloster turbo and all of a sudden on an on ramp I noticed power was cutting in and out. Almost like it was accelerating and going into a limp mode for half a second and accelerating again. The car was warm and only has 90,000 km on it. I turned the car on again the morning after thinking it was just a one time thing but then it was happening again. Every time i accelerated over 25% throttle it would cut in and out. The car idles fine and drives normally with light acceleration so I’m not sure what the issue is. I unplugged the battery to reset the ecu and tried again and this time the car would just cut out right away and the check engine light was flashing but then turned off after a couple of seconds. A week ago I had a tune up done to it at the dealership. New spark plugs were put in so maybe that has something to do with it. This has never happened before so I’m just trying to see what the cause could be. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Was it a Hyundai dealership? Check your oil and see if it reads above the fill line. Did they use genuine a hyundai oil filter and NGK plugs? Were the coils replaced also? Check your fuel pressures What were the fault codes? There might be something logged

BTW, Welcome to the forums
Thank you! Yes, the service was done at a Hyundai dealership. An oil change was done as well as a coolant flush and "tune-up". The only part number listed under the tune-up was the ngk spark plugs so I'm assuming the coil packs were not changed. How would I go about checking my fuel pressures and fault codes? I don't have an obd2 scanner so I probably have to bring it to the dealership to get all that sorted. Do you think this is something serious or would it be a simple fix? I have read some things that could be a kinked fuel line or something to do with the coil packs or spark plugs which leads me to believe maybe the dealership didn't gap them properly or maybe one of the coils is loose.
Since the dealer did the tuneup, I would start with them first. Take it back and let them do a fault code reading. It might be as simple as a bad plug, or coil.
So I have a 2013 veloster turbo and all of a sudden on an on ramp I noticed power was cutting in and out. Almost like it was accelerating and going into a limp mode for half a second and accelerating again. The car was warm and only has 90,000 km on it. I turned the car on again the morning after thinking it was just a one time thing but then it was happening again. Every time i accelerated over 25% throttle it would cut in and out. The car idles fine and drives normally with light acceleration so I’m not sure what the issue is. I unplugged the battery to reset the ecu and tried again and this time the car would just cut out right away and the check engine light was flashing but then turned off after a couple of seconds. A week ago I had a tune up done to it at the dealership. New spark plugs were put in so maybe that has something to do with it. This has never happened before so I’m just trying to see what the cause could be. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated!
Change the coils
1 - 5 of 5 Posts