Veloster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Veloster
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2013 Veloster with almost 140,000 miles. About a month ago I went to start it. It had a hard time starting but it did start. When I put it in reverse it wouldn't move. I turned it off and googled a little and found other people had this issue. Someone said turn it off let it sit for a minute then turn it back on and it should be ok. So I did. I waited one minute turned it back on. It started right up and then worked fine. So I've been dealing with this for a month. It's intermittent when it happens. But it's always the same thing. If it has a hard time starting then I know when I put it in gear it's not gonna go. I brought it to my local mechanic a couple weeks ago. He couldn't find any problems so and he did a hard reset and thought that might solve the problem but unfortunately it's still happening. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do to fix it? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Most likely your shift gate actuator

Read about it here: Dct issues

·
Registered
2013 Veloster
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. When this was first happening I was reading on here about it possibly being the shift gate actuator. I read through some of the threads but I never could find anyone saying that once that was replaced the problem was solved. There was one guy on here that I messaged personally but he never got back to me. Do you know if this is something that can only be fixed at the dealership or could my mechanic do it?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I feel you are making a mistake taking it to your mechanic.
For these kind of problems the dealer (as bad as they are) are the best place to take your car.
I say this because they have to fix it. Period
They have all the help from corporate resources.
You have options available not present with using a local mechanic.
It may cost a little more, but having a car that will be reliable is worth it.
And finally. What is this hard reset that he said he did? Did he give you an explanation?

·
Registered
2013 Veloster
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He disconnected the battery cables and touched the cables together. He said it resets the computer system??? When I brought it in the engine light was not on so he couldn't diagnose a problem with his computer unless a check engine light was on. Honestly, this is the 1st time I have had to bring it to a mechanic. I have not had an issues with this car since I purchased it. I've put over 100,000 miles on it. It's been a great car. The mechanic I went to was referred by a friend. I think bringing it to the dealer is probably my best bet. I was just trying to avoid a huge bill. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
488 Posts
You still need to be careful with the dealership as some are in it for the money and hours under the hood to make the pay check.
Once they see you're a woman they can even outright lie to you as most don't know much about cars so they're taken advantage of. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you have them service the car please demand you see the old parts and the packaging for any new parts ordered.
Any hesitation or excuse from the service tech about doing this is a red flag.
Most good service techs would be obliged to keep you as a customer and have you gain confidence in their work.

Good luck for sure and keep up to date on the happenings. 🙏🏽👍

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Just curious but when was the last time you had annual maintenance done on your car like plugs, coil packs etc. done and was it done by the dealer?

·
Registered
2013 Veloster
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never had anything done except oil changes, replaced the battery and tires. The check engine light came on yesterday so I brought it to auto zone and they put the computer on it and it said my crankshaft position sensor A circuit needed to be replaced. Do u think that might be causing the issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
thats a good start, easy to replace too. You are also past due for some annual maintenance. some you can do yourself like air filter, cabin filter, plugs, coil packs.

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
64 Posts
I just replaced a crankshaft position sensor for simlar issues (car won't engage forward or back, trans dropped into neutral while driving, code for crank position sensor)

Easy enough to replace with a few tools and the car slightly jacked up off the ground. Oem sensor as about $15-20 from ebay.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have a 2012 with about 23,980 miles when I took it in for a recall and oil change. The service tech recommended $500 in changes that day without even having looked at the car! While I realized some things need to be replaced due to age and not mileage, I couldn't justify anything he suggested! They did the oil change and I'm still waiting for the recall parts that have been "ordered". I bought the car with the double the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I still have $700+ Hyundai credit card balance, too! But they can't just steal it back from me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
they have to fix it. Period
They have all the help from corporate resources.
You have options available not present with using a local mechanic.
Ricky-D, what do you mean "they have to fix it"?
What do you mean "you have options"?

·
Registered
2013 Veloster
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have changed cabin filter and air filter as well. Honestly, this car has been AMAZING! This is the first major issue I have dealt with. I have an appt on Tues to get that sensor fixed. I'll let u guys know how that works out. Again, thank you so much for all the input!!!❤❤

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ricky-D, what do you mean "they have to fix it"?
What do you mean "you have options"?
When you take your car to a dealer they cannot refuse to repair your car.
That is what I mean.
The options you possess when you take your car to the dealer is grounded in the fact that they answer to a higher authority, the auto manufacturer who supplies them product to sell.
This is self evident

An independent mechanic has no such encumbrances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts