Veloster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took me forever to figure out what these were called and I'm still not 100% on whether or not it's the correct name. But this part https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4MMAAOSwTO9aDIHP/s-l1600.png is very dull compared to when first getting the car. It's some kind of plastic but I don't know what product to try and use to restore it's shine. It has seemed to haze up and look real bad over the years. Any ideas on a product that would help restore them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Took me forever to figure out what these were called and I'm still not 100% on whether or not it's the correct name. But this part https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4MMAAOSwTO9aDIHP/s-l1600.png is very dull compared to when first getting the car. It's some kind of plastic but I don't know what product to try and use to restore it's shine. It has seemed to haze up and look real bad over the years. Any ideas on a product that would help restore them?
Hi Mikerium, welcome aboard. Not sure what that would be called besides the pillar. I believe it is the same material as the rear wingy thingy between the rear glass portions that blocks our view. I am unaware of whether it is black painted plastic, or whether it is coloured plastic. If it is painted plastic a clearcoat polish compound and then a wax afterwards would work, but if it is coloured plastic I am not sure. I know a trick in the ATV world that brings a sheen back to the coloured plastic fenders on ATV's is to move a heatgun or a blowtorch quickly over the plastic, which basically remelts the surface and returns the sheen. I wouldn't want to try this on my car but maybe trying that one one in a junkyard would work first lol

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
easiest fix would be to remove the two pillars and have them rewrapped in gloss black.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe these are colored plastic. I would suggest removing them, and trying to use either headlight restoration kit on them, because they are probably acrylic, or another type of product made to refinish acrylic. Or, if you are not too fond of using new products, you may want to try just polishing them with a heavy compound first, then going back with a buffing compound to restore maximum shine.
However, if it is acrylic and the surface is altered, there might not be another way than to replace them.
Replacement parts from Hyundai : 86170-2V000 (left) , 86180-2V000 (right). Listed at 235$ each from your local dealer, but available from a reputable online retailer from the Delray Beach FL area for 176$ each (US$).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
swordfish_designs
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing