Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 HYUNDAI VELOSTER REMIX 6-SPEED M/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my veloster threw a code for the crank shaft position sensor. I had it replaced with an oem sensor. since then, my veloster refuses to exceed 3k rpm & has a significant reduction in power. no codes, though. if I floor it in 3rd gear, for example, it'll slowly climb to around 40 mph (if on a level road) but around 40 mph it'll reach 3k rpm at which point it kinda jerks to a halt, almost as if I was hitting the limits of a speed-governor? the tach needle will just start to pass over the 3k rpm line before the engine starts to pull back & the needle returns to the very bottom of the 3k rpm line. dealer said they "couldn't replicate the issue" which prevented them for figuring it out, which is bs because it literally does this every time I drive the car now but whatever.

sounds similar to some other posts describing a "limp mode", but most of those posts seemed to coincide with a fuel rail sensor code which I do not have. could it be the same thing anyway? no engine codes whatsoever. I've had my oil changed & the battery checked. I use premium fuel.

does anyone have any experience with a similar issue or any tips for figuring out the source of the problem? thanks in advance

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
Where did you get the sensor and did it come in a legit Hyundai package ?

Are you able to put the old sensor back in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you get the sensor and did it come in a legit Hyundai package ?

Are you able to put the old sensor back in?
I had it replaced at my local hyundai dealer's maintenance shop, I believe they tossed the old one.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
Damn... it’s legit then. What you need is a better mechanic with a scan tool next.

Reactions: jakehaddad

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd take it back to them who did the work. Either it's a poorly performed job, or the sensor is a bad one. One way or another they are responsible to do a proper job of repair and need to make it right by you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd take it back to them who did the work. Either it's a poorly performed job, or the sensor is a bad one. One way or another they are responsible to do a proper job of repair and need to make it right by you.
you are right. I don't know why I have been so hesitant to do that. I guess I just really wanted to be sure that it wasn't something else going wrong before I went back & told them they didn't repair it properly.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
552 Posts
I'm surprised there are no codes at all. 🤔
Have you tried to reset the ecu by disconnecting your negative post off of the battery?
That may help but what you're describing certainly sounds like a limp mode for sure.

Since you've got a 2013 what mileage do you have and what's been replaced in the engine bay?
Speed sensor could be out causing conflict with the cam and crank sensor but that will usually throw a code. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Take it back and you should always, always tell any service center or mechanic you want the old parts back when they're done. No excuses and you have that right to have said parts so you know they just kept in the old part and said it's fixed. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️😉
It happens. A lot.

Good luck and let us know what happens and how it goes. 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts