Veloster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 veloster 6 speed. About a month ago I noticed that when I accelerate the car kind of lunges like it's not getting the power for the speed. Almost feels like if you were in say like 6th gear and trying to do 30mph. If I accelerate slowly it's fine, but if I step on it it lunges. Boyfriend says he'd bet his paycheck it's the high pressure fuel pump. Any thoughts? I have 150,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I can tell you from my experience on my car when it started acting up and I gave it gas and it felt like it was bogging.I didn't feel the turbo really kick in to later. I took it the Hyunda i told them I'm having loss of power. It is still in the shop 2 weeks later they have changed my PCV valve and they're changing my Turbo. they're still working on it so we'll see if anything else is wrong. I didn't show any code whatsoever the only thing I noticed is that if I went under 800 RPM my oil light would flicker but once I gave it a little gas past 800rpm it would go away. But even with all that when I plugged it in and it gave me no code even with the little oil light flickering on and off at low RPM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can tell you from my experience on my car when it started acting up and I gave it gas and it felt like it was bogging.I didn't feel the turbo really kick in to later. I took it the Hyunda i told them I'm having loss of power. It is still in the shop 2 weeks later they have changed my PCV valve and they're changing my Turbo. they're still working on it so we'll see if anything else is wrong. I didn't show any code whatsoever the only thing I noticed is that if I went under 800 RPM my oil light would flicker but once I gave it a little gas past 800rpm it would go away. But even with all that when I plugged it in and it gave me no code even with the little oil light flickering on and off at low RPM.
I get nothing. No lights, no codes, nothing. The car just lunges when I try to accelerate to fast. I've changed the spark plugs and the boots. Taking it to dealership on Monday.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
626 Posts
I get nothing. No lights, no codes, nothing. The car just lunges when I try to accelerate to fast. I've changed the spark plugs and the boots. Taking it to dealership on Monday.
It's an electric throttle that when you push the gas pedal it electrically tells the throttlebody to open the throttle plate by how much you move the pedal.

The pedal is controlled by a rheostat or potentiometer or resist e control mechanism telling the throttle to move.
Like any potentiometer they can get worn out and this sounds like your situation.

Ever have a volume control get staticky sounding when you turn up the volume on an older style radio knob. That's a worn out potentiometer.

Have the dealer check the pedal assembly for this issue and go from there. You can remove this assembly, open it up, and clean the contacts to get you going again but again this sounds to be your issue.

Good luck. 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2012 veloster 6 speed. About a month ago I noticed that when I accelerate the car kind of lunges like it's not getting the power for the speed. Almost feels like if you were in say like 6th gear and trying to do 30mph. If I accelerate slowly it's fine, but if I step on it it lunges. Boyfriend says he'd bet his paycheck it's the high pressure fuel pump. Any thoughts? I have 150,000 miles on it.
What are you doing in 6th gear at 30 mph?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
Also stay out of 6th at 30mph lol

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it's a NAV, there IS an odd BUILT IN throttle delay when shifting from 1st to 2nd. There's a workaround posted here somewhere but I decided not to mess w that. Found that when I put a CAI on mine, it seemed to utterly mitigate that little delay.

If this is a newly onset issue... and is a result of your newly discovered misfire, then sounds like you've sorted it out.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
while it is true that there are folks out there with throttle lag... it isn't true for all of them. just depends on which day the ecu was programmed, i guess :)

that same issue plagues many other manufacturers. looking at you toyota!

Reactions: misnblu
1 - 12 of 12 Posts