Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A 2012 HYUNDAI VELOSTER DCT AUTO or MANUAL. Ok so I've been complaining about my car to my Hyundai dealership and had brought it to the dealer on THREE different occasions due to numerous transmission/gear slippage and other weird issues involving my transmission and the gears while driving (RPMS shoot up when foot is off gas, car not going in reverse, car jolting and aggressive thrusting of the car in low speeds)… this issue has always been intermittent and every time I took it to the dealer we were unable to replicate the issue when a technician was driving/me driving and it did not set off any diagnostic issues or red flags while hooked up to the computer. I’ve read so many posts and reviews about people experiencing major transmission issues with low mileage on the vehicle, literally exactly what I was describing other people are too. The dealer said they can’t do anything to help me from me describing the issue, they need to see it for themselves or the computer needs to tip them off. Something interesting happened today to make me believe Hyundai is trying to hide a massive recall on my 2012 Automatic Hyundai Veloster DCT. Today I picked my car up after many techs had driven the car trying to replicate my problem (I left it at the dealer over night). They told me for a third time that it's not the car and their nothing wrong and it could the way I'm driving the car (i.e. not coming to a full stop before switching gears), last time they gave me a pamphlet to explain to me how the DCT works and blamed it on the dual clutch. That it’s driver error and not the cars fault. Online before bringing the car in I was doing research I saw a lot of people complaining of similar tranny issues that won't come up on the computer scan so Hyundai won't do anything. I heard some people mention them replacing a part called a "GATE SHIFT ACTUATOR" and getting improvements from that. Because of minimal literature online I’m not exactly sure what the part does but someone described it as… it helps execute gear sifts and help the car shift smoothly. Today when getting my car, which hadn't been worked at all, they said that they put a call into “Corporate” and Hyundai Corporate told them to replace my GATE SHIFT ACTUATOR. I asked if it would solve my issue and why they would do that if they are saying the car is fine, he said he didn't know why, but the Hyundai higher ups just told them to replace it. I asked if it was a recall and he said no, but was weird about answering it. So they don't think anything is wrong with the car but they want to replace an important part of the car and I have to leave it over night cause hey have to take the whole transmission out to replace it. I think a lot of people have an issue with the shifting and this could solve it, but Hyundai is not posting the recall because they don’t have to for some reason but they are aware the issue exists as they are replacing this part that could solve all my odd issues. I feel they don’t want to recall it because it will be a lot of money for the company to replace everyone's in their Veloster. I will post back about how my car is, they had to “Special Order” the part and will take a week to come in!

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Yes. Please keep us updated on how this works out for you. I only usually notice the lag on trying to take off, but would be good to hear this resolves the issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
whatever became of this?

Reactions: Krz nena

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actuator

I took mine 2012 in today. It is a loud noise when shifting from D to P especially. And after you turned the car off the next few seconds you can hear it from yards away. It was hearable for a while but seemed to be worse and louder. So decided to take it in. The dealer had to call Hyundai as well... after 3 hours... "Not sure but Hyundai wants to start with replacing this whole component called the actuator" I asked what it did, got minimal answer that they are overnighting the part and then go from there. Not a comforting thought at all. It is under warranty, little under 27000 miles, but it has probably been there for a few months. So keep you all posted, but the techs at the main headquarters want them to start with replacing that component and this is the first one that they have had that makes the noises that are excessive. It is more a clinging clanging grinding sound. Not a normal one time click when you shift. But a series of clicks are it downshifts in gears on automatic in ECO mode, and probably also in regular mode.
They said the transmission checks out fine... hope this solves the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had to take my 2012 Veloster in because of shifting issues (revving RPMs and lag when shifting - not fun while trying to get on the freeway) and was told they need to have the service manager take a look at it to see if it's covered under warranty or if there is "excessive wear" due to driver incompetence. This is my 4th manual transmission car, and I've never had an issue before. Especially not at 31,500 miles! Of course, the service manager is not in today so I have to take the car back in on Saturday. Whatever the issue is, I want the only acceptable answer: that it will be fixed pronto and that it is covered under warranty. And that it will not cost me a dime. I've already missed work today, and I have to rearrange obligations I had scheduled for Saturday now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a DCT and have had issues with it not going into Reverse (Flashing R). Turn it off and restart usually fixes it, only rarely does it happen. As for other issues some times if you don't come to a complete stop (rolling California stop) it hesitates real bad and then takes off. seems to take a while for it to down shift to 1st gear or 2nd when doing that. I usually pop down the gears with the paddle shifter and it forces it from 4 or 3rd to first gear and it takes off like normal then. Other wise don't do a California stop and it seems to be ok. Another thing especially if I am playing, turn off traction control that helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
had to take my 2012 veloster in because of shifting issues (revving rpms and lag when shifting - not fun while trying to get on the freeway) and was told they need to have the service manager take a look at it to see if it's covered under warranty or if there is "excessive wear" due to driver incompetence. This is my 4th manual transmission car, and i've never had an issue before. Especially not at 31,500 miles! Of course, the service manager is not in today so i have to take the car back in on saturday. Whatever the issue is, i want the only acceptable answer: That it will be fixed pronto and that it is covered under warranty. And that it will not cost me a dime. I've already missed work today, and i have to rearrange obligations i had scheduled for saturday now.
clutch worn?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2012 Veloster would not go into reverse-flashing R- this am- 31,336 miles-eventually after starting and stopping twice-and planning whole route around not needing reverse-it stopped.It totally freaked me out! Have noticed acceleration issues as well as noises-mentioned them to service and they brushed it off as me not understanding this type of transmission. Called Dealer-"never heard of that before-really weird-are you shifting it correctly" !!! Should mention that I am a woman-and he was very condescending! Anyway-very glad I looked here before I bring it in this afternoon-will keep you posted on what they say. Have printed out all the posts to bring with!

·
Registered
1 Posts
READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A 2012 HYUNDAI VELOSTER DCT AUTO or MANUAL. Ok so I've been complaining about my car to my Hyundai dealership and had brought it to the dealer on THREE different occasions due to numerous transmission/gear slippage and other weird issues involving my transmission and the gears while driving (RPMS shoot up when foot is off gas, car not going in reverse, car jolting and aggressive thrusting of the car in low speeds)… this issue has always been intermittent and every time I took it to the dealer we were unable to replicate the issue when a technician was driving/me driving and it did not set off any diagnostic issues or red flags while hooked up to the computer. I’ve read so many posts and reviews about people experiencing major transmission issues with low mileage on the vehicle, literally exactly what I was describing other people are too. The dealer said they can’t do anything to help me from me describing the issue, they need to see it for themselves or the computer needs to tip them off. Something interesting happened today to make me believe Hyundai is trying to hide a massive recall on my 2012 Automatic Hyundai Veloster DCT. Today I picked my car up after many techs had driven the car trying to replicate my problem (I left it at the dealer over night). They told me for a third time that it's not the car and their nothing wrong and it could the way I'm driving the car (i.e. not coming to a full stop before switching gears), last time they gave me a pamphlet to explain to me how the DCT works and blamed it on the dual clutch. That it’s driver error and not the cars fault. Online before bringing the car in I was doing research I saw a lot of people complaining of similar tranny issues that won't come up on the computer scan so Hyundai won't do anything. I heard some people mention them replacing a part called a "GATE SHIFT ACTUATOR" and getting improvements from that. Because of minimal literature online I’m not exactly sure what the part does but someone described it as… it helps execute gear sifts and help the car shift smoothly. Today when getting my car, which hadn't been worked at all, they said that they put a call into “Corporate” and Hyundai Corporate told them to replace my GATE SHIFT ACTUATOR. I asked if it would solve my issue and why they would do that if they are saying the car is fine, he said he didn't know why, but the Hyundai higher ups just told them to replace it. I asked if it was a recall and he said no, but was weird about answering it. So they don't think anything is wrong with the car but they want to replace an important part of the car and I have to leave it over night cause hey have to take the whole transmission out to replace it. I think a lot of people have an issue with the shifting and this could solve it, but Hyundai is not posting the recall because they don’t have to for some reason but they are aware the issue exists as they are replacing this part that could solve all my odd issues. I feel they don’t want to recall it because it will be a lot of money for the company to replace everyone's in their Veloster. I will post back about how my car is, they had to “Special Order” the part and will take a week to come in!
I’m having the exact same issue on mine, the dealership has replaced the transmission three times now and claimed it was fixed, went to go drive it to get tires and it won’t catch when I put it in gear. Restarted it and tried it again a few times and nothing. Came back an hour later and it catches but makes a fairly loud clank when you start to hit the gas initially.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a non turbo 2012 veloster from a family friend, and at 47k it needed a clutch and now at 52k it needs a transmission. And mine does the same herky jerky low rev jolting

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a non turbo ‘12 veloster, it’s always felt like it just drove funny. @ 47k had a new clutch installed and now @ 52k had a new transmission installed. At low speeds I still get the herky jerky jolting and lunging that I’ve been experiencing all along. I can’t believe the clutch and trans needed to be replaced, I don’t know if the kid I bought it from drove the crap out of it or what but I’m not impressed with this car

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
352 Posts
Worn out upper and lower motor mounts are probably the cause of the 'herky jerky' motion your experiencing.
8 years of use and the rubber starts to tear.
Funny how people really don't consider parts wearing out and then blame the car for the poor performance. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

To check the mounts have someone rev the engine while you look under the hood.
If you see excessive amounts of engine motion rocking back and forth it's the mounts.
Good luck. 👍

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a non turbo ‘12 veloster, it’s always felt like it just drove funny. At low speeds I still get the herky jerky jolting and lunging that I’ve been experiencing all along
How low? I find that the initial throttle response on the electronic throttle to be abrupt, I have jerkiness below 3 mph or so, without my foot on the throttle, there isn't enough fuel to keep it moving, but even if I feather the throttle, the turn in is abrupt. My lower mount has just been replaced. I ended up installed a throttle controller, running it on the econo setting reduces the abruptness

·
Registered
3 Posts
Worn out upper and lower motor mounts are probably the cause of the 'herky jerky' motion your experiencing.
8 years of use and the rubber starts to tear.
Funny how people really don't consider parts wearing out and then blame the car for the poor performance. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

To check the mounts have someone rev the engine while you look under the hood.
If you see excessive amounts of engine motion rocking back and forth it's the mounts.
Good luck. 👍
Thanks for your input. Along with the transmission the dealership did a compliment 49 point safety check. Assuming the service writer knows his stuff, he would have recommended the checking the motor mounts?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
352 Posts
Thanks for your input. Along with the transmission the dealership did a compliment 49 point safety check. Assuming the service writer knows his stuff, he would have recommended the checking the motor mounts?
Most are idiots.
All they want is the next service and really have no concern at all for doing things according to the procedure placed in front of them. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I drive a truck around the country and even our company service departments are a joke.
As a car guy for the last 42 years I take zero trust in any ASE certified rep and do my own work.

But in answer to your question, yes I would check the mounts as I described in the previous post just to make sure.
Theyre rubber and not completely solid and have been known to tear and cause excessive engine motion giving drivability issues.

Again pardon me for being so rough on the service industry but I've seen too much fail from the industry to have any trust in them.
Again, good luck. 👍🙏🏽

1 - 18 of 18 Posts