Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Veloster with the NAV/Tech package. The head unit's touch screen had been acting oddly lately so I decided to reset it by pressing the reset button next to the cd player while parked with the car running this morning.
The screen went blank. I thought it was resetting, but then nothing happened. It stayed black.
I tried pushing the reset button again, disconnecting the battery for a hour, checking the fuse by the steering wheel (it was fine), and I have not been able to get the screen to come back on.
The backup camera also does not work.
I just can't understand why resetting the head unit would kill it.

Can any one give me an idea of something else to try, or something else to check?
I don't want to spend $2k for a replacement head unit on a 10y old car, and I have no warranty coverage due its age.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
They are cheap on eBay... could try pushing the on button for 20 seconds , holding reset for 20 seconds, maybe pull the HU out and unplug it for a few hours.

Also if you start the car from off immediately crank the volume up, do you get the startup sound? Hopefully you didn’t shut it off.

Reactions: bearbird

·
Registered
56 Posts
So, for clarity, are any of the head unit functions working? Should default to the FM radio on startup, do you get radio static or a radio station? Can you control the volume? Could just be a bad digitizer, which (if I remember right) HAS happened to at least one other person beforehand. I honestly couldn't tell you much about how to fix something like that versus asking a shop to do it. If what Mirage suggested doesn't work out for you, you'd probably pay about as much to have your radio repaired as you would to get an aftermarket.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at going aftermarket. You could get an aftermarket stereo with many improvements over OEM for <$300-400 dollars depending on your preferences. Crutchfield's website allows you to sort by radios that are a direct fit, and will also help you get the necessary adapters to make an aftermarket radio plug in nicely with your factory wiring. Just make sure you do your research and know what exactly you're getting into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are cheap on eBay... could try pushing the on button for 20 seconds , holding reset for 20 seconds, maybe pull the HU out and unplug it for a few hours.

Also if you start the car from off immediately crank the volume up, do you get the startup sound? Hopefully you didn’t shut it off.
I tried pushing buttons for 20 seconds and there was no change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, for clarity, are any of the head unit functions working? Should default to the FM radio on startup, do you get radio static or a radio station? Can you control the volume? Could just be a bad digitizer, which (if I remember right) HAS happened to at least one other person beforehand. I honestly couldn't tell you much about how to fix something like that versus asking a shop to do it. If what Mirage suggested doesn't work out for you, you'd probably pay about as much to have your radio repaired as you would to get an aftermarket.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at going aftermarket. You could get an aftermarket stereo with many improvements over OEM for <$300-400 dollars depending on your preferences. Crutchfield's website allows you to sort by radios that are a direct fit, and will also help you get the necessary adapters to make an aftermarket radio plug in nicely with your factory wiring. Just make sure you do your research and know what exactly you're getting into.
I get no sound at any point. Nothing on FM or any of the other options. I can't say anything about the volume as there is no sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts