Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this issue of going up hill and losing speed and feels like the car isn’t getting gas even with your foot to the floor?

2012 Hyundai Veloster na 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
626 Posts
Does anyone else have this issue of going up hill and losing speed and feels like the car isn’t getting gas even with your foot to the floor?

2012 Hyundai Veloster na 6 speed manual.
What gear are you in when you are doing this?
How's your clutch? Is it slipping?
Need more info please so we can help. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What gear are you in when you are doing this?
How's your clutch? Is it slipping?
Need more info please so we can help. 👍
Most of the time I’m in 6th gear but even dropping it to 5th does nothing. It should be good as I replaced it myself not to long ago. Also has a new master & slave cylinder installed which feels like it could use some more bleeding. I don’t know if this matters but it also doesn’t have the original engine it, I believe it has one from a 2013 Veloster.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
You need something to log the car... see if it’s giving full throttle and engine load.

no codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need something to log the car... see if it’s giving full throttle and engine load.

no codes?
I have a Bluetooth obd reader and RepairSol2 which if I remember correctly I think at full throttle it’s only 85% as far as engine load I did not check that. No codes which I find weird as something to this extent should at least pop a code. What I find even weirder was that my old engine even with a Spun rod bearing made it uphill with no issues.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Silly question but what rpm's are you pulling when going up this hill in 6th gear and/ or 5th gear?

You'll also need to give us some timing numbers if possible with your obd2 device.

The engines in the na Velosters are all pretty much the same for any given generational years.
Seeing what your rpm's are doing while going up this hill will show if the clutch is slipping or not.

Pulling timing will also do the same and you'll lose power because of it so see what it's doing there as well. Unless you e really got some fouled plugs or extremely mid-gapped it should go up a hill with no problems.

Lugging the engine will also keep the car from going up the hill if rpm's are too low. These engines like to be revved.

Hope you get it going. 👍🤞

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Silly question but what rpm's are you pulling when going up this hill in 6th gear and/ or 5th gear?

You'll also need to give us some timing numbers if possible with your obd2 device.

The engines in the na Velosters are all pretty much the same for any given generational years.
Seeing what your rpm's are doing while going up this hill will show if the clutch is slipping or not.

Pulling timing will also do the same and you'll lose power because of it so see what it's doing there as well. Unless you e really got some fouled plugs or extremely mid-gapped it should go up a hill with no problems.

Lugging the engine will also keep the car from going up the hill if rpm's are too low. These engines like to be revved.

Hope you get it going. 👍🤞
Rpm sits at about or around 3k at the start of the hill but as soon as I go up it drops a little but not enough to shift down to 5th. But honestly I don’t ever shift this car over 3k as that is what my father taught me. I’m actually leaning towards the pulling timing as it feels like it hits a wall but as soon as I’m on top of the hill power returns. And for the clutch slipping I know what that feels like plus the smell 😂.
for the plug gaps I have no clue as they were from the parts store and some cheapie ones I believe autolights.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Rpm sits at about or around 3k at the start of the hill but as soon as I go up it drops a little but not enough to shift down to 5th. But honestly I don’t ever shift this car over 3k as that is what my father taught me. I’m actually leaning towards the pulling timing as it feels like it hits a wall but as soon as I’m on top of the hill power returns. And for the clutch slipping I know what that feels like plus the smell 😂.
for the plug gaps I have no clue as they were from the parts store and some cheapie ones I believe autolights.
This is your problem.
You're not even in the power band at 3,000 rpm.
Seriously these cars are not V8 or V6 engines that have tons of torque at low rpm's.
You have to rev it to get up that hill.
I hate to say it but you need to erase what your Father told you about revving a car and hammer on that throttle. 👍🤷🏼‍♂️😉

I rev mine out everyday to redline or 6,500 rpm repeatedly and it thanks me with many smiles per mile.
These engines are made to do this.

I'll put it to you this way so please listen.
When I had my 1966 Buick Skylark coupe I never revved past 4,000 rpm because I never needed to.
When I had to buy a new car it was a 1983 Honda Civic with a 4 banger of only 1300cc and 60 hp.
Like you I had issues getting going u til I realized that if I revved the snot out of that engine I could keep up with other cars and it actually became addicting to rev it out. I basically had to to keep up with traffic but I learned that small displacement engines like we have need to be revved, especially going up hill.
Don't let the revs scare you like it did me when Infirst starting doing this. You get used to it and the power band and soon will be comfortable revving it without issue.

I'm 61 years young so could probably be your grand father so take this advice seriously from one that's been enjoying cars for 50 years and I'd never steer anyone wrong.

Good luck and please do rev it as needed to get up that hill and give us some serious positive feedback that it solved your problem. 🙏🏽👍🤟

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is your problem.
You're not even in the power band at 3,000 rpm.
Seriously these cars are not V8 or V6 engines that have tons of torque at low rpm's.
You have to rev it to get up that hill.
I hate to say it but you need to erase what your Father told you about revving a car and hammer on that throttle. 👍🤷🏼‍♂️😉

I rev mine out everyday to redline or 6,500 rpm repeatedly and it thanks me with many smiles per mile.
These engines are made to do this.

I'll put it to you this way so please listen.
When I had my 1966 Buick Skylark coupe I never revved past 4,000 rpm because I never needed to.
When I had to buy a new car it was a 1983 Honda Civic with a 4 banger of only 1300cc and 60 hp.
Like you I had issues getting going u til I realized that if I revved the snot out of that engine I could keep up with other cars and it actually became addicting to rev it out. I basically had to to keep up with traffic but I learned that small displacement engines like we have need to be revved, especially going up hill.
Don't let the revs scare you like it did me when Infirst starting doing this. You get used to it and the power band and soon will be comfortable revving it without issue.

I'm 61 years young so could probably be your grand father so take this advice seriously from one that's been enjoying cars for 50 years and I'd never steer anyone wrong.

Good luck and please do rev it as needed to get up that hill and give us some serious positive feedback that it solved your problem. 🙏🏽👍🤟
Honestly I felt like I should rev past 3k just didn’t know if this engine could handle it haha. And I also owned a 87 civic wagovan which I’m not going to lie I was hard on it. And also did the dpi to mpfi swap which was easy that thing would fly. Also you are correct as I’m only 29 lol but I’ve been around cars since I was born and my father was actually a old school mechanic back in long island ny.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
rev it all the way up atleast once a day!

my wife likes to shift around 3k in her jetta 2.5, i tell her she needs to shift at atleast 4k in all 3 of our cars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A NAV going up a hill will need to be downshifted. Hec, I drove my 2013 NAV around SW FlawDUH for two years... pancake flat, arrow straight roads... but I WOULD downshift it going over the bridges. Otherwise, it wouldn't hold speed!

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A NAV going up a hill will need to be downshifted. Hec, I drove my 2013 NAV around SW FlawDUH for two years... pancake flat, arrow straight roads... but I WOULD downshift it going over the bridges. Otherwise, it wouldn't hold speed!
Yeah honestly it feels like maybe I have another issue with the car. I’m leaning towards clutch having air in the line as I just did replace the master& slave cylinder. Does anyone know of a good way to bleed the system?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What type of incline angle we talking? 30 degrees, 45? Dropping from 6th to 5th is not going to give you a whole lot of power, at least with my 2012 MT none turbo veloster. If your in 6th and hit a steep hill like say country road driving in the hills type inclines up and down. Your going to be hitting 4th down from 6th usually. Maybe even 3rd if its a long up hill climb. 6th gear is more for fuel efficiency and cruising at 80mph. Your not going to feel a huge change going from 5th to 6th.

Now, the one time i got to 130mph on a vacant toll road, i rode every gear up to red line and then shift and of course feel the speed increase more. But 6th is a long slow increase so it took a while to get to 130mph. It kept going but i got scared my luck would run out and something would go wrong. So hit neutral and led it coast back down to 75mph

This was many years back on the Austin to San Antonio toll road. I could see forever and no one around.
Every slight bump made the car lift like it was going to fly and i could feel the tires lose traction just a smidge.

I would not dare try that now with my cars age.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts