Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
109k miles - Daughter was driving 45mph and it suddenly "made some loud sounds" (i think it was the RPMS shooting up trying to accelerate - not actually a mechanical noise) and would no longer accelerate. All was fine previously (except for the searching between 1st and 2nd gear these dct are known for). Towed home - and found putting it in D would surge a few times forward at low RPM, (like clutch plates catching briefly on a standard transmission vehicle) but no acceleration. No reverse. Car seems to be in neutral, when selector is in D. Towed to dealer - they reset the DCT with no change. They called Hyundai, and they said replace the transmission as a FIRST STEP at a cost of $7005 PLUS LABOR. I've since been scouring the internet trying to find info on changing it myself. It doesn't seem too difficult until you get to the whole programming part. Does the replacement DCT need to be programmed with a dealer's computer? Can it re-learn if you reset the car's computer? Is it driveable at all prior to the programming? Is there anything I can check or do short of simply replacing it? Tell-tale sign of failed Gate Shift actuator? The entire vehicle (used) cost less than a replacement tranny and labor. Seems insane... but not my first go-round with these shitty DCTs - as I had a '13 Focus that Ford bought back from me because of the ongoing DCT issues. Had I known the Veloster had it, I would not have recommended her to buy the vehicle. She loves the car, but now it has no go. Looking for people with more knowledge than me for some suggestions on how to proceed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
you own an auto, not a dct

·
weekend racer
7,750 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's Automatic - with DCT. Added info - they put code P17C0 on the diagnostic sheet delivered back with the car. Researching that now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I digress please ignore my comment, apologies

Reactions: misnblu

·
Banned
767 Posts
It's Automatic - with DCT.
No, a DCT is not an automatic. A DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) is a manual transmission that is computer operated. It operates like an traditional automatic but is not.
An automatic has a torque converter - A DCT has clutches
An automatic uses lightweight automatic transmission fluid (ATF) - A DCT uses heavy gear oil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for a good used replacement, and most out there are advertised as '13-'16. Are they all the same interchange, and the sellers are wrong? id assume that if the engines are all the same - direct swaps - the DCT trans would be as well. Can someone confirm or tell me if there is a difference in the '12 from the rest... and if there is any one year more reliable or updated/upgraded. There really isnt much info out there about these cars.

·
weekend racer
7,750 Posts
i do not believe there is any difference. just make sure it's not for a turbo or sports model.

Reactions: dejaview517

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Another snag - EVERY person i contact with one for sale states the '12 DCT is not interchangeable with the '13-'17 (all Gen. 1). I'd hate to shell out $1300 for one that may not work. I know there is a turbo version (which is very evident with the cooler attached... but every other one looks the same in appearance. Are there any Hyundai reps/service that can verify in this group? There are so many number sets on the transmission casings... some are exactly the same, and others (on the same stickier) are different. What numbers am I looking to match? Or am I being super paranoid because of the costs involved? To my untrained eye's research - the Gen1 all have the same DCT from 2011-2018. So I SHOULD be able to take a 2017 with 13,000 miles on it to swap rather than a '12 with 100K+ miles?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally recovered from the Vid - and got the DCT on the ground. Damage seems to be more extensive than anticipated. Gears on the DTC are all chewed up and stripped and the ? Dampening Fingers" are stretched off the flywheel assembly. Anyone know exactly what the "Fingers" refer to? I can't find this ring anywhere, and it's not included on a new flywheel. See Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The sproket teeth are broken and/or flat around the entire thing - this is not an issue, as I have a reman DCT in a crate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Arrow is where the ring is pulled through the lip...

Not sure what this is called??

The service manual calls it a "External Damper Finger"?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went back at it in the sweltering heat... The "Finger" ring I assume is a retainer of some kind? I gently pried that outer ring out, and the inner ring was in multiple pieces. Looks to be a spring in the remaining ring, but theres all kinds of crap/teeth embedded in it. Next step removing the flywheel? This is getting near the end of my abilities :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts