Veloster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June of 2018 i bought my 2013 AT Vt with 47k miles or so on it. It ran smooth as butter and I loved the feel of it no matter how i drove it.
Moved to Colorado a month later and changed my oil before I made the drive just to be safe. Keep in mind, no mods at all at this point.
She handled like a champ through the entire drive straight through with only intermittent stops. No problems, hiccups, not one single funny sound.
A few days later omw to work, I try merging onto the highway, WOT, and my car jerks hesitates, jerks, and feels like a bucking horse. Not good. No CEL through the entire process so I do some research. Long story short, I replace my spark plugs, coil plugs, upgrade the fuel line and my lpfp and got a Sri (more for fun than to fix the problem). At first it seemed to feel a little better but after really trying to get on it, it does the same thing except it feels slightly more violent when it happens. Checked for boost leaks(none), misfires(none), no CEL still, everything was reading fine and i was still hitting around 21 psi boost when i started hard and did not let up but the second i try to downshift and step on it, it feels like my car is going to fall apart.
Tried getting solid hot pipes and silicone cold pipes to no avail. Then got a full 3" catless exhaust, high flow muffler and resonated downpipe and a Turbosmart Kompact adjustable bov.
NOW it acts funny. It still does the same thing when trying to give the engine too much except now it bucks a lot less and as soon as you "suffer through" the jerking you are rewarded with a face melting amount of boost and power.
It's uneven and to add to that, still no cel (other than for the downpipe).
It's never felt the same as it did before i drove it to Colorado. I'm sick of it. Please help me. I just want my baby back at 100% and I'm damn tired of trying.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
Hi Slowrane, 21 pounds boost seems a bit high, what is your gas mileage like? Have you checked or replaced your PCV valve lately? I'm also wondering if the atmospheric change has something to do with it. Are you running 93 octane? When was the last time you ran some injector/valve cleaner?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the city I'm running about 21mpg average. Only highway i can get up to 26ish. I have not checked ther pcv and honestly am not sure what i would be looking for while inspecting it. I've used crc intake valve cleaner (straight into the throttle body) a total of three times, last time being about 3 months ago, however i never feel much of a difference other than a little better throttle response. I also have an occ installed that i clean out with every oil change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also thought 21psi was a bit much but its maxed out like that when I got it. Could be a bad obd reading, but yeah. The atmospheric change was one of my first thoughts, but hiw do you correct something like that?

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
I also thought 21psi was a bit much but its maxed out like that when I got it. Could be a bad obd reading, but yeah. The atmospheric change was one of my first thoughts, but hiw do you correct something like that?
By resetting the ECU. Disconnect the battery terminals for about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By resetting the ECU. Disconnect the battery terminals for about 30 minutes.
I do that after any power related mod. Read on here somewhere awhile back that said it was good to do that and i listened! Lol however, I did just order a new pcv and should get it by Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know when i get it. In the mean time is there anything else i may not have been aware needed to be changed every so often? Like the pcv.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any codes from a check engine? If so and it refers to the catalyst its a good bet its the cat converter. I took a trip from San Antonio TX to Flourasant Colorado and had HP issues on account of the altitude. I thought the computer would adjust but nope. Mines a 2012 VT standard trans.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
Any codes from a check engine? If so and it refers to the catalyst its a good bet its the cat converter. I took a trip from San Antonio TX to Flourasant Colorado and had HP issues on account of the altitude. I thought the computer would adjust but nope. Mines a 2012 VT standard trans.
I was thinking the same thing but he says...

Then got a full 3" catless exhaust, high flow muffler and resonated downpipe and a Turbosmart Kompact adjustable bov.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Then got a full 3" catless exhaust, high flow muffler and resonated downpipe and a Turbosmart Kompact adjustable bov.
I do have a cel after the downpipe but its because the o2 sensor wires snapped trying to tork it loose. Ordered a new one on ebay but it won't be here for another month at least it says. Still probably beat my 2 month old order to socal garage works for my gt trunk mount!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I do have a cel after the downpipe but its because the o2 sensor wires snapped trying to tork it loose. Ordered a new one on ebay but it won't be here for another month at least it says. Still probably beat my 2 month old order to socal garage works for my gt trunk mount!
The problem, however is the same. I did the cat about 2 weeks after the exhaust and it had the same issues every time but louder with each addition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After replacing the PCV, it did little to help. Problems still exist however it now feels like i have no boost at all until i hit almost 5krpm and it nearly throws me through my seat.

·
Super Moderator
4,483 Posts
It's a little difficult to spool air when there is none. Is your MAP sensor working?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In June of 2018 i bought my 2013 AT Vt with 47k miles or so on it. It ran smooth as butter and I loved the feel of it no matter how i drove it.
Moved to Colorado a month later and changed my oil before I made the drive just to be safe. Keep in mind, no mods at all at this point.
She handled like a champ through the entire drive straight through with only intermittent stops. No problems, hiccups, not one single funny sound.
A few days later omw to work, I try merging onto the highway, WOT, and my car jerks hesitates, jerks, and feels like a bucking horse. Not good. No CEL through the entire process so I do some research. Long story short, I replace my spark plugs, coil plugs, upgrade the fuel line and my lpfp and got a Sri (more for fun than to fix the problem). At first it seemed to feel a little better but after really trying to get on it, it does the same thing except it feels slightly more violent when it happens. Checked for boost leaks(none), misfires(none), no CEL still, everything was reading fine and i was still hitting around 21 psi boost when i started hard and did not let up but the second i try to downshift and step on it, it feels like my car is going to fall apart.
Tried getting solid hot pipes and silicone cold pipes to no avail. Then got a full 3" catless exhaust, high flow muffler and resonated downpipe and a Turbosmart Kompact adjustable bov.
NOW it acts funny. It still does the same thing when trying to give the engine too much except now it bucks a lot less and as soon as you "suffer through" the jerking you are rewarded with a face melting amount of boost and power.
It's uneven and to add to that, still no cel (other than for the downpipe).
It's never felt the same as it did before i drove it to Colorado. I'm sick of it. Please help me. I just want my baby back at 100% and I'm damn tired of trying.
Going through the same with my 2015.Frustrated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts