1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Thread: New guy with a few questions

New guy with a few questions

We just bought my stepson a car, it's a 2013 Veloster with 130K miles on it. It appears to be a basic model with an automatic transmission. I can't really say what model it is as I don't even know what was offered. I am at day one, step one on the learning curve. The engine was replaced about 60K miles ago, and the transmission was replaced about 5000 miles ago. Both operate flawlessly now. It's got about 2000 miles on a new set of Conti tires. The car runs really well, and everything seems tight. It's a silver/gray color with black interior. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a wreck and 10 being new, I'd say the car is a 8, maybe even a 9. It's really clean. We paid $5K for the car from a local private seller, the second owner of the car. I hope we did ok. I'm guessing it's a basic model, as it has cloth seats, no nav and no backup camera. A few questions, if I may. Sorry of they're common questions, but I know nothing at all about Velosters at this early point. My goal is to change that.

- Is it safe to say it's a basic model based upon the cloth seats, no nav or backup camera?
    - Is it common for the engine/transmission to be replaced?
    - What are common problems to look for with these cars?
    - Do these cars have a major Achilles heel?
    - How hard and expensive to upgrade to nav?
    - How hard and expensive to upgrade to a backup camera?
    - Any other mods we should be looking at?

Thanks all, that should get us started. So far, a few hours into our ownership, we really like this car.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Well, I don't see a way to edit my above post, so I'll add on here. In reading more on the 'net, some reviews seem to infer that all cars came with backup cameras as standard equipment. If that's true then I guess this car's backup camera is broken, as shifting into reverse doesn't change anything on the screen. Did all Veloster's in 2013 in fact come with a backup camera? Can anyone confirm that? Also, the car has the full glass roof with power sunroof and shade, if that means anything.

This post should help you with your questions on the cam

https://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyu...uld-i-get.html
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV • BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nvyseal View Post
    This post should help you with your questions on the cam

https://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyu...uld-i-get.html
    I guess given my lack of knowledge on the car, this helps but I'm still confused. The car has a full pano roof - did they all come like that? Or was that an option available separately outside the confines of a package? It seems to have some sort of upgraded factory installed stereo in it, it says something on the speaker grills, but I don't have the car here now and I can't remember what it says. There's definitely no nav in the car, and I see no evidence of a camera in the back.

Snap a pic of your roof from the inside and outside along with the head unit speakers should be dimension
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV • BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

Welcome, Doug427! The only Veloster with the Achilles heel was the introductory 2013 Turbo. The very earliest 2013 turbo models had engine/transmission issues across the board. Hyundia corrected that before the model year ended and the problem hasn't been seen again. That both items were replaced on your car and that you picked this up for only $5,000 sounds pretty good! You will face replacement parts as they age: lights, fluids, brakes, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. The Veloster is a pretty low maintenance vehicle in general.
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, 10-17-2011
    Born on: 08-22-2011
    USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    $50 off Pixel 3a at Google store: Promo code:
    B-9VY0UP8PCDZ7ZG6T85LB4M0
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    The only Veloster with the Achilles heel was the introductory 2013 Turbo. The very earliest 2013 turbo models had engine/transmission issues across the board.
    13 engines all had bad rods, corrected in 14. The Turbo 13's auto transmissions and 6 speed had no problems with the exception of the clutch switch mod (which is not by design). The 12 and 13 dual clutch transmissions in the NAVs had problems.
    Last edited by nvyseal; 05-26-2019 at 01:59 AM.

밥솥

Quote Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
    We just bought my stepson a car, it's a 2013 Veloster with 130K miles on it. It appears to be a basic model with an automatic transmission.

- Is it safe to say it's a basic model based upon the cloth seats, no nav or backup camera? Yes

- Is it common for the engine/transmission to be replaced? No.

- What are common problems to look for with these cars? There are no common problems, contrary to accepted gospel.

- Do these cars have a major Achilles heel? No.

- How hard and expensive to upgrade to nav? Your car is a NAV (Naturally aspirated Veloster)

- How hard and expensive to upgrade to a backup camera? There are aftermarket kits that would possibly be cheaper than OEM upgrade.

- Any other mods we should be looking at? That would depend upon you

Doug
    Answers in blue
    2013 IRONMAN SILVER VT-AT ULTIMATE

I think you mean NAV meaning navigation system. The short answer is VERY difficult and expensive. It can be done, but requires a lot of work, costing in the thousands. The easy way is an aftermarket head unit with nav. You can get goods ones on ebay from 175 to $250 and the install is easy. Also part of replacing the head unit is that almost all of the aftermarket ones come backup camera ready so it is also the easiest way to add that feature. I suggest at next oil change going full synthetic and keep it that way.

Also pay attention to the automatic shifter. Does the ring around it say EcoShift - Dual Clutch? If so it's got the 6DCT, which is a base model standard. If not, it has the torque converter automatic.

If it's the DCT, you need to know, drive it with the same discipline you would a standard manual. No creeping forward by riding the brake, don't reverse uphill slowly, and stay on the brake until you're actually setting off on a hill (it has hill assist so it holds the brake until you get going but still).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
    We just bought my stepson a car, it's a 2013 Veloster with 130K miles on it. It appears to be a basic model with an automatic transmission. I can't really say what model it is as I don't even know what was offered. I am at day one, step one on the learning curve. The engine was replaced about 60K miles ago, and the transmission was replaced about 5000 miles ago. Both operate flawlessly now. It's got about 2000 miles on a new set of Conti tires. The car runs really well, and everything seems tight. It's a silver/gray color with black interior. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a wreck and 10 being new, I'd say the car is a 8, maybe even a 9. It's really clean. We paid $5K for the car from a local private seller, the second owner of the car. I hope we did ok. I'm guessing it's a basic model, as it has cloth seats, no nav and no backup camera. A few questions, if I may. Sorry of they're common questions, but I know nothing at all about Velosters at this early point. My goal is to change that.

- Is it safe to say it's a basic model based upon the cloth seats, no nav or backup camera? Yes
    - Is it common for the engine/transmission to be replaced? Yes
    - What are common problems to look for with these cars? Lspi (low speed pre ignition... also not to mention the suspension was horrible the car would feel unstable during wet conditions and bumps and snow i was always worried it was gonna wreck due to bad suspension
    - Do these cars have a major Achilles heel?
    - How hard and expensive to upgrade to nav? Buy aftermarket
    - How hard and expensive to upgrade to a backup camera? Buy aftermarket
    - Any other mods we should be looking at? Sell it and buy a newer turbo car

Thanks all, that should get us started. So far, a few hours into our ownership, we really like this car.

Doug
    I owned a 2013 turbo for 1 yearbought it at 40,000 miles and at 60,000 miles had to replace the engine costed me $4200 to replace it was a slow car and the stereo sounded weak ...... now i own a 2019 veloster ultimate turbo and it is a night n day difference i miss the body shape but i sure do love the new features and upgrades and i finally feel like the veloster is a safe car unlike my 2013 version was super bad on bumps rain and snow my new one no problems at all with tons of safety features best thing 8 ever did was sell the 2013 immediately after rebuilding the faulty engine

14. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements